• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough Fender Paint -- Causes and Solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Fender Paint -- Causes and Solutions?

When I got my 2006 Grand Caravan brand new a year and a half ago, I noticed that the front left fender felt rough compared to the paint on all other body panels. I've maintained the garaged vehicle exceptionally well with gentle washes and waxing, but haven't addressed that fender's roughness (it also has very slight swirl marks). I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a hypothesis why one fender's paint would feel rougher than other body panels directly from the factory?

2. Should I clay, then ScratchX, or just ScratchX? (I'll follow with Deep Crystal and NXT 2.0, of course.) I question claying because the van's always been garaged, with no contamenents that I know of. Lastly, if I should clay and ScratchX, which should come first in the process?

I appreciate your input. Thanks.
    2006 Chopped and Dropped Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Re: Rough Fender Paint -- Causes and Solutions?

Maybe got some kind of dirt/grime, or overspray on it a the factory before installation?

Claying the whole vehicle, with added focus on the fender, would be the first and easiest thing to do, so you can try and make sure all the contaminats are off the vehicle.

If claying doesnt solve it, then we'd have to get some expert advice.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Some times a vehicle is damaged in transit and repaired at the dealership, that could explain the roughness and swirls. The roughness is possibly overspray, shouldn't be there if there's swirls because the swirls would be a possible sign the fender was compounded with a rotary buffer and that should have removed the roughness.

Is the roughness feel like little bumps?

Try claying just a small area and then compare that area to the surrounding rough paint.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The best way I can describe the roughness is that instead of feeling like smooth glass, as with the rest of the paint, it feels like cardboard -- consistent, but rough. In any case, I agree that it's no big deal to just go ahead and clay it, but I was just curious if anyone else had encountered this. Thanks.
        2006 Chopped and Dropped Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Comment

Come back and tell us if you solved the problem

Comment

There is certainly no harm in claying the fender to see if it helps, nor would it hurt to clay the whole van. Even though you have taken really good care of it and it’s garage kept, I’m sure claying would remove quite a bit of contaminants. Over a year and a half if you do any driving at all it’s just a fact that contaminants are going to build up on the surface of your paint.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');