• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner

I was at my local target and picked up some Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner on clearance for $1.48 I was reading the bottle and it said it is safe for all factory coated rims. I have a 08 Accord with coated rims and a 98 Chevy with aluminum rims but I don't think there are coated dose anyone know if it is OK to use these rims. Or are my rims on the Chevy coated?
    Removing stress & swirls one car at a time!

Re: Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner

I got 2 bottles of colorx at Target today on clearance for $4.00 might as well have it on hand. Target is the place to get clearanced items.
    2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by Speedway View Post
      I was at my local target and picked up some Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner on clearance for $1.48 I was reading the bottle and it said it is safe for all factory coated rims. I have a 08 Accord with coated rims and a 98 Chevy with aluminum rims but I don't think there are coated dose anyone know if it is OK to use these rims. Or are my rims on the Chevy coated?
      Do you have NXT Metal Polysh by any chance? The way to tell is to take some metal polish (finest grade you can find, and NXT happens to be clearcoat safe) and a terry towel, rub it on a small test spot on the wheel. If it turns black, there is not a clearcoat on the wheel. If it doesn't turn black, there is clearcoat and you can use the Hot Rims AWC.

Comment

no I do not have any NXT meatal polish. I should just stick to using APC+ on the rims and be safe. This would be safe right? Diluted of course.

Comment

The Hot Rims AWC is safe for clearcoated rims and i'm sure it's also safe for aluminum ones since it's an ALL WHEEL CLEANER.

Comment

Originally posted by 08 Corolla View Post
            The Hot Rims AWC is safe for clearcoated rims and i'm sure it's also safe for aluminum ones since it's an ALL WHEEL CLEANER.
            I have uncoated aluminum wheels. It will dull them. That is what the OP was asking. He just needs to figure out if they are coated or not.

As far as washing uncoated aluminum wheels, I would stick specifically with an aluminum cleaner or just use soap and water.

Comment

Is there any other way to see if they are uncoated. I look and my wifes car and I know that her wheels are coated and I compare them to mine and they are not as glossy as hers. I also can take my finger nail and scratch it if you will but then I can remove the mark by wiping it off with a cloth and watery soap.

Comment

Do you have any metal polishes? I'm not sure if a paint cleaner would turn it black...

Comment

I would use Multi-Piece wheel cleaner or just soap and water until you know for sure APC has a tendency to stain uncoated rims. You can use any polish to test for clear coat using the same process roushstage2 mentioned.
                  Detail Werks
                  Derek Bemiss
                  SEMA/Ford Care Care Team Leader 2004 through 2012.

Comment

I will pick some up and let you guys know what I find!! Thanks

Comment

Found some polish will try when I get home. Is it pointless to use metal polish on coated wheels? (ie, Wifes car)

Comment

Found some polish will try when I get home. Is it pointless to use metal polish on coated wheels? (ie, Wifes car)
                        Make sure your polish is non-abrasive, that is it won't scratch or you could scratch your wheels, coated or uncoated.

Anyway, take a light polish/paint cleaner, a product like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner works well because both products are very white in color, thus they show aluminum real easy when rubbed against an uncoated aluminum wheel and this will tell you they are uncoated, that is the cloth will turn dark gray and blackish.

If your wheels are coated or anodized aluminum, the as long as the surface is clean of loose dirt and road grime, rubbing a paint cleaner or a metal polish against the surface shouldn't pull any color, that is your cloth and chemical will stay the same color they started.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Nice!! What colour / engine? is your Accord?
                          Patrick Yu
                          2003 Honda Accord
                          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek View Post
                            Nice!! What colour / engine? is your Accord?
                            Polished metal matalic, Grey leather color match side body molding, splash gaurds, wing spoiler, remote start and tinted windows. Also has the 2.4L engine. Will post picture soon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              Make sure your polish is non-abrasive, that is it won't scratch or you could scratch your wheels, coated or uncoated.

Anyway, take a light polish/paint cleaner, a product like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner works well because both products are very white in color, thus they show aluminum real easy when rubbed against an uncoated aluminum wheel and this will tell you they are uncoated, that is the cloth will turn dark gray and blackish.

If your wheels are coated or anodized aluminum, the as long as the surface is clean of loose dirt and road grime, rubbing a paint cleaner or a metal polish against the surface shouldn't pull any color, that is your cloth and chemical will stay the same color they started.

Ok I will try this but do you gain anything out of using metal polish on coated rims?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');