• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie.. am i doing this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie.. am i doing this right?

Hi all..
    Mannn~~ this portal has been an info overload for me! but its all gd! i need advice from you guys.. im just starting to try out full detailing my own car. Can you guys tell me if im on the right track? Im doing all this with hand-power!

1) wash : Gold Class Shampoo N Conditioner
    2) Clay : Clay Kit
    3) surface prep: 1)DC Paint Cleaner whole car
    2)ScratchX for "stubborn" swirls
    4)Polish : DC Polish
    5)Wax: Gold Class Liquid wax / NXT

how abt that guys?..
    ok 1 stoopid question.. apply multiple layers of wax.. do i wipe a layer off before i put the next one or do i just wait for an hr or so and apply the next one without wiping off?
    THanks guys for taking time to read this!

Re: newbie.. am i doing this right?

1. Wash -Good. Remember good quality towels, sponges, two bucket system, and Gritguards.
    2. Clay - Good - Remember to buy an extra QD bottle.
    3. Clean - By hand, DC#1 isnt likely to remove a whole lot of swirls. You will probably need to just ScratcHX everything, and ScratchX it well. Dont try to do the whole car in one day with ScratchX, your results will suffer. Just focus on ScratchX/polish/wax a panel a day, or something like that. Remember it takes a good bit of passion, with the car almost rocking on the springs. So it isnt quick and easy by hand.
    4. Polish - Good
    5. Wax - Good, though I'd try and get NXt 2.0 if possible. Remember 2 thin coats are best.

Apply one coat of wax nice and thin. Let dry to a haze. Wipe off. Try and wait at least 20 minutes (24 hours for absolute best looks). Apply second coat of wax nice and thin. Let dry to a haze and wipe off.

Here are some more links for everything, just in case you havent seen some of them:

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    Step 1 Wash
    Step 2 Clean
    Step 3 Polish
    Step 4 Protect
    Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

[b][URL=http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2877][color=blue]Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I know people do it, but ScratchX on an entire car seems like pure drudgery to me. If you've just got a panel or two then ScratchX would seem fine. There's a reason it comes in a small container guys.

If you've got light to moderate scratches you might consider a dual-action polisher and #83 adn #80. Not cheap, but

If you've got heavy scratches, then a rotary in the hands of a pro is about the only good choice I see.

Comment

Switch to NXT as first layer and then Gold Class as second for pop.
        - Dmitriy
        K&N Filter, Berk TP, HKS Exhaust, CR Knob. HKS & Test Pipe (Video)
        http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8...merday2la9.jpg

Comment

The guys said it all.

Welcome to MOL!
          SYDSTER

Comment

cool stuff
            lets say i do not scratchX the whole car but just parts where there are deeper swirls..
            do i just apply it on affected areas or the whole panel where the affected area is?

Comment

Its hard to say.

If your car has some swirls everywhere, and you use ScratchX properly, then you will end up with swirl-free spots with swirls everywhere else.

If your car is in good shape, just a few bad spots, then the fixed up areas will blend right in.

So it kind of depends on how much the areas stick out to you.

Comment

great..thanks man..
                ok last question.. after 2 wax coats.. can i just finish off with a quick spray of the UQD? or is that redundant?

thanks all for the inputs

Comment

Ideally, you would want to let the wax just sit to let it finish curing.

You could use UQD the next day for a dusting, or I really like to use it after future washes.

Comment

Can scratchX be replaced by colorX for light swirl removal? or is it for a different purpose?

Comment

ScratchX is a dedicated cleaner.

ColorX cleans, polishes, and waxes.

So while ColorX has the ability to remove some swirls, using a dedicated product like ScratchX will tend to be more effective.

Comment

Can colorX be used with RO or is really a product to use by hand?

Comment

Sure, ColorX could be used by RO, G100, etc. I dont know if it is for rotary use.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');