• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oxidation spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxidation spots

hi all,
    I have the following situation :

oxidation spots on my rear bumper

and i want to wax the car but i first want to remove these spots, how could i accomplish this?

could the clay kit be my solution?

Re: oxidation spots

Welcome to Meguair's Online!

Lot's of people confuse oxidation with clear coat failure, oxidation can be fixed, (usually), whereas clear coat failure cannot be fixed, you have to repaint the area or the entire car.

Click the link below and see if your "spots" look like some of the pictures in the thread, if so then you have clear coat failure and there's no product you can apply that will fix it.

The Clearcoat Failure Archive

Let us know what you think and you can always post a picture of the problem area to this thread so we can better diagnose the problem.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

clearcoat failure is not my case thanks god
      there are very little little dots that are just in my rear bumper
      how could i treat this?

Comment

Oxidation is usually a dull, hazy look over a surface area, not little dots, sounds like you have something else wrong?

When you feel the paint is is smooth and glassy feeling? If not you need to clay.

To clean the paint and see if you can fix or remove these "dots" go to your nearest auto parts store and pick up a bottle of Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and and apply and work this product over the affected area with a little passion behind your applicator pad, (use a foam or microfiber applicator pad also available at the auto parts store).

If this hand applied paint cleaner fixes the problem, then apply some wax over the area after you're done cleaning it.

If it doesn't fix the problem the we'll need to get more information as to what exactly the problem is, a picture would help.

The words Clean and Cleaning as defined by Meguiar's terminology

Words: Clean, Cleaning, Cleaners
        Products: Compounds, Paint Cleaners, Cleaner/Polishes and Cleaner/Waxes
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just curious, have you tried claying the area?

It would really help if you could post a pic!
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

i dont know if with a picture we could notice the dots but i am going to try to get one.
            i have the feeling that with a bit of claying i could resolve this problem, but
            i would to be sure before buying.

Comment

Originally posted by erickb05 View Post
              i dont know if with a picture we could notice the dots but i am going to try to get one.
              i have the feeling that with a bit of claying i could resolve this problem, but
              i would to be sure before buying.
              Can you pick or scrape the spots off using your fingernail?

Chances are if your car is a daily driver and you have never clayed it before then it needs to be clayed, it's a great investment because if your paint is dirty with bonded contaminants it will never look as smooth and glossy as possible and wax doesn't stick to dirt, so your wax wont' last very long.

Claying = Good regular maintenance for daily drivers

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I happen to have a few pictures of oxidized paint versus cleaned paint. Figure I could put them up to add some insight (may even be good for an Information Station post to show oxidized v. clean paint).

Comment

I have the same problem as you erickb05. I have these little spots everywhere on the hood of my Camaro and I have never been able to get rid of them. I tried to clay it off but it doesn't work. I've also tried ScratchX but that didn't work also. I would really like to get rid of these spots cause I find them agitating. I'll try to get pictures of it tomorrow to show everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Highflyguy0824 View Post
                    I have the same problem as you erickb05. I have these little spots everywhere on the hood of my Camaro and I have never been able to get rid of them. I tried to clay it off but it doesn't work. I've also tried ScratchX but that didn't work also. I would really like to get rid of these spots cause I find them agitating. I'll try to get pictures of it tomorrow to show everyone.
                    Click the link below and see if your "spots" look like some of the pictures in the thread, if so then you have clear coat failure and there's no product you can apply that will fix it.

The Clearcoat Failure Archive

Let us know what you think and you can always post a picture of the problem area to this thread so we can better diagnose the problem.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I definitely do not have clear coat failure. Upon further inspection, it seems that the spots might by Type II water spots but I tried claying and ScratchX but that doesn't seem to work.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');