• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prepping paint for clear film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping paint for clear film

Not sure if this is the correct forum area for this.

The FFR in my avatar has the clear film applied to the nose and other high impact areas. I've been concerned I didn't prep the paint good enough before having it applied (no real reason, just a feeling).

This spring I'm having two other cars covered. I'm curious if anyone has any theories on the best way to prep the paint before this goes on. The place that applies the film simply cleans the area with isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

This is a semi-permanent film, the most common type is made by 3M. I'm going with a different brand due to yellowing issues I've seen with the 3M film.

Re: Prepping paint for clear film

When they spray it down it alcohol that would take off any wax or polish that is on the surface. As far as prep work, the only thing is to reduce/ eliminate any swirls of light scratches on the paint before you have it applied. Once it is on you wont be able to get at them without removing the film. Thats it.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');