Detailing question, could use a little help..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Detailing question, could use a little help..

          
  1. #1
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    11

    Detailing question, could use a little help..

    Gonna get the Mustang GT convertible out of winter storage very soon. '96, low low miles. It has a lotta wax (Meguiars) on it. The top is white. What is the best way to clean the paint completely of all the wax and start over? Would a polishing compound be a good start? I was gonna have it detailed, but seeing how i am about my cars, i would rather do it myself. The top is a real pain to keep clean. I own it but i almost never drive it. It's the wife's toy.

  2. #2
    Registered Member onawrxhigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ocean County NJ
    Age
    43
    Posts
    618
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    Quote Originally Posted by intimadator8 View Post
    Gonna get the Mustang GT convertible out of winter storage very soon. '96, low low miles. It has a lotta wax (Meguiars) on it. The top is white. What is the best way to clean the paint completely of all the wax and start over? Would a polishing compound be a good start? I was gonna have it detailed, but seeing how i am about my cars, i would rather do it myself. The top is a real pain to keep clean. I own it but i almost never drive it. It's the wife's toy.
    intimadator8,

    If you're talking about the old style polishing compounds of the turtle wax verity that you buy at the local out parts store then you will introduce more and deeper scratches as these compounds don't readily break down as you work them against the paint. I would steer clear of these. What you need is a good paint cleaner like Meg's deep crystal step 1 paint cleaner. This is a chemical cleaner and will remove the wax and dirt from the paint without a problem. I would also suggest that you clay your mustang prior to using the paint cleaner to remove any bonded contaminants so the cleaner will work only on the paint and not first on the the bonded contaminants. I hope this helped answer your questions.

    Andrew
    2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

  3. #3
    Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Age
    57
    Posts
    24,766
    Rep Power
    517

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    Quote Originally Posted by onawrxhigh View Post
    intimadator8,

    What you need is a good paint cleaner like Meg's deep crystal step 1 paint cleaner. This is a chemical cleaner and will remove the wax and dirt from the paint without a problem.
    Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is a great way to gently clean the paint to remove everything off the surface and get down to a clean base to start with. It contains both chemical cleaners and diminishing abrasives but it is a very light or gentle paint cleaner, in fact it is a most gentle paint cleaner.


    Quote Originally Posted by onawrxhigh View Post
    intimadator8,

    I would also suggest that you clay your mustang prior to using the paint cleaner to remove any bonded contaminants so the cleaner will work only on the paint and not first on the the bonded contaminants. I hope this helped answer your questions.

    Andrew
    Great answer and suggestion.

    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

  4. #4
    Registered Member Freebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    People are probably going to cringe when I say this... but washing your car with a mild and gentle dish detergent, like Dawn, would be a great way to get all the wax off your paint. Be warned, the initial results will be depressing. It'll be dull and all your cars flaws will be screaming out at you. Then maybe a paint cleaner for bonded surface contaminants.. and def. a polish to put the luster back in after the dish soap.
    Jess
    97 Pontiac Firebird Y87

  5. #5
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    After i do the paint cleaner thing, also the clay, is there anything before the wax that i should use? Or should i just apply a new coat of wax?

  6. #6
    Registered Member Murr1525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,027
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Dawn, would be a great way to get all the wax off your paint. Be warned, the initial results will be depressing. It'll be dull and all your cars flaws will be screaming out at you.
    So why do it? I'm not doing anything that dulls my cars finish, or taking any steps backwards.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

  7. #7
    Registered Member Murr1525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,027
    Rep Power
    235

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    Here are the two basic processes by hand:

    Full Detail:
    1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Clean - DC#! in general, ScratchX for bad spots.
    4. Polish - Pure Polish
    5. Wax - 2 coats

    Quick Detail:
    1. Wash
    2. Clay if needed
    3. ColorX
    4. Wax
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

  8. #8
    Registered Member roushstage2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Real NorCal
    Posts
    4,115
    Rep Power
    143

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    washing your car with a mild and gentle dish detergent, like Dawn,
    Whenever anyone says this, I always wonder WTH they even got that idea?
    I have to add another NO to this suggestion. Dish soap is for dishes. Plus, it is more expensive than car soap anyways.


  9. #9
    Registered Member Freebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    Quote Originally Posted by Murr1525 View Post
    So why do it? I'm not doing anything that dulls my cars finish, or taking any steps backwards.

    Well, he wanted to remove ALL the wax on his car. So isn't that "taking steps backwards" anyways?
    Jess
    97 Pontiac Firebird Y87

  10. #10
    Registered Member Freebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

    Quote Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
    Whenever anyone says this, I always wonder WTH they even got that idea?
    I have to add another NO to this suggestion. Dish soap is for dishes. Plus, it is more expensive than car soap anyways.

    Don't knock it till you've tried it
    Everyone has their own methods and oppinions.
    Jess
    97 Pontiac Firebird Y87

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Detailing question
    By NineD1 Slug in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Mar 11th, 2009, 03:38 PM
  2. Detailing Question
    By gators241987 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM
  3. Question about detailing
    By chvyeter in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jan 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
  4. new to detailing.. PC question...
    By jmanero123 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
  5. Detailing question
    By realitycheck in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •