• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing question, could use a little help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing question, could use a little help..

Gonna get the Mustang GT convertible out of winter storage very soon. '96, low low miles. It has a lotta wax (Meguiars) on it. The top is white. What is the best way to clean the paint completely of all the wax and start over? Would a polishing compound be a good start? I was gonna have it detailed, but seeing how i am about my cars, i would rather do it myself. The top is a real pain to keep clean. I own it but i almost never drive it. It's the wife's toy.

Re: Detailing question, could use a little help..

Originally posted by intimadator8 View Post
    Gonna get the Mustang GT convertible out of winter storage very soon. '96, low low miles. It has a lotta wax (Meguiars) on it. The top is white. What is the best way to clean the paint completely of all the wax and start over? Would a polishing compound be a good start? I was gonna have it detailed, but seeing how i am about my cars, i would rather do it myself. The top is a real pain to keep clean. I own it but i almost never drive it. It's the wife's toy.
    intimadator8,

If you're talking about the old style polishing compounds of the turtle wax verity that you buy at the local out parts store then you will introduce more and deeper scratches as these compounds don't readily break down as you work them against the paint. I would steer clear of these. What you need is a good paint cleaner like Meg's deep crystal step 1 paint cleaner. This is a chemical cleaner and will remove the wax and dirt from the paint without a problem. I would also suggest that you clay your mustang prior to using the paint cleaner to remove any bonded contaminants so the cleaner will work only on the paint and not first on the the bonded contaminants. I hope this helped answer your questions.

Andrew
    2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Originally posted by onawrxhigh View Post
      intimadator8,

What you need is a good paint cleaner like Meg's deep crystal step 1 paint cleaner. This is a chemical cleaner and will remove the wax and dirt from the paint without a problem.
      Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is a great way to gently clean the paint to remove everything off the surface and get down to a clean base to start with. It contains both chemical cleaners and diminishing abrasives but it is a very light or gentle paint cleaner, in fact it is a most gentle paint cleaner.

Originally posted by onawrxhigh View Post
      intimadator8,

I would also suggest that you clay your mustang prior to using the paint cleaner to remove any bonded contaminants so the cleaner will work only on the paint and not first on the the bonded contaminants. I hope this helped answer your questions.

Andrew
      Great answer and suggestion.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

People are probably going to cringe when I say this... but washing your car with a mild and gentle dish detergent, like Dawn, would be a great way to get all the wax off your paint. Be warned, the initial results will be depressing. It'll be dull and all your cars flaws will be screaming out at you. Then maybe a paint cleaner for bonded surface contaminants.. and def. a polish to put the luster back in after the dish soap.
        Jess
        97 Pontiac Firebird Y87

Comment

After i do the paint cleaner thing, also the clay, is there anything before the wax that i should use? Or should i just apply a new coat of wax?

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
            Dawn, would be a great way to get all the wax off your paint. Be warned, the initial results will be depressing. It'll be dull and all your cars flaws will be screaming out at you.
            So why do it? I'm not doing anything that dulls my cars finish, or taking any steps backwards.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Here are the two basic processes by hand:

Full Detail:
              1. Wash
              2. Clay
              3. Clean - DC#! in general, ScratchX for bad spots.
              4. Polish - Pure Polish
              5. Wax - 2 coats

Quick Detail:
              1. Wash
              2. Clay if needed
              3. ColorX
              4. Wax

Comment

washing your car with a mild and gentle dish detergent, like Dawn,
                Whenever anyone says this, I always wonder WTH they even got that idea?
                I have to add another NO to this suggestion. Dish soap is for dishes. Plus, it is more expensive than car soap anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  So why do it? I'm not doing anything that dulls my cars finish, or taking any steps backwards.

Well, he wanted to remove ALL the wax on his car. So isn't that "taking steps backwards" anyways?
                  Jess
                  97 Pontiac Firebird Y87

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                    Whenever anyone says this, I always wonder WTH they even got that idea?
                    I have to add another NO to this suggestion. Dish soap is for dishes. Plus, it is more expensive than car soap anyways.

Don't knock it till you've tried it
                    Everyone has their own methods and oppinions.
                    Jess
                    97 Pontiac Firebird Y87

Comment

Doesn't dish soap also dry out the rubber seals and other rubber components? If so that would cause more damage than just dulling the paint.
                      You repair things with tools. You fix things with a hammer.

Comment

Well, he wanted to remove ALL the wax on his car. So isn't that "taking steps backwards" anyways?
                        Not in the same manner as using a paint cleaner/clay.

Don't knock it till you've tried it
                        Everyone has their own methods and oppinions.
                        I will never try it because it has been proven to cause damage and/or premature clear coat failure. The "don't knock it till you try it" line can only logically apply to so many things...

Like I said, dish soap is for dishes. Here is what it does to automotive paint:

That is my opinion and suggestion. Take it for what it's worth...

Comment

DO NOT USE DAWN DISH SOAP OR THE ABOVE THREAD WILL BECOME YOUR CAR!!!

Hey murr what type of pure polish do you recomend ?
                          MY NEW WORD "SWIRLFREENESS"
                          FOR ANY CHRYSLER 300/DODGE MAGNUM/DODGE CHARGER/ DODGE CHALLENGER VISIT WWW.LXFORUMS.COM

Comment

Well, the two main ones would be DC#2, and #7 Show Car Glaze.

DC would be the easier to use, #7 is pretty much top of the line.

Comment

i used to use Zaino polish,and still use some of there stuff,z-7,z-8.but i never understood why on thier directions they say:wash with dawn,clay,then wash with z-7.but thats what i did when i first used it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');