• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Class #1 - Pictures & Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advanced Class #1 - Pictures & Comments

Thanks for the great class Mike and Mike! I really learned a lot and will be sure to put it to (cautious) good use. Now I need a good rotary, wool pad(s), sand paper, M105...

Comment

And here's some pictures from the class...

First Mike Pennington demonstrates the tools and techniques we learned in the classroom portion of the class.

Next everyone is turned loose to start practicing on their own...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Silverado 03 View Post
        Man you guys are so lucky you got to attend that class. I wish i could of gone. Hope you guys had fun and learned alot. I cant wait till i go to an advanced class.
        Yea, and I am even luckier. I didn't make the original class selection but due to 4 cancellations I got in!

Well worth the 720 miles I drove round trip that day.

Comment

Originally posted by brickyardz View Post
          Though I didn't drive that far, t'was a good day to celebrate my birthday. To all my fellow participants, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. While the class may have been brief, it broadened our knowledge on the subject of car finishes. It augmented my knowledge of car repair--valuable to my job as an insurance claim adjuster. The subjects covered were apt for automotive affecionados like everybody in the class who take car finishes seriously.

To the tandem team of Mike Phillips and Mike Pennington, a fabulous job teaching us the fine points of the business, and fostering a warm and friendly atmosphere for all.

Comment

Originally posted by brickyardz View Post
            Yea, and I am even luckier. I didn't make the original class selection but due to 4 cancellations I got in!

Thats how I got in as well, oh and my round trip was probably the shortest, approx 10mi . The class was great. Picked up a ton of good important information, things that one needs to consider before going to work on a car. And although I don't consider myself an expert by a long shot, it definitely lessened the intimidation or fear factor of using a rotary and even gave me more confidence to start practicing. Thanks to the Mikes and Meguiar's for holding such great events for us enthusiasts. Plus it was great to see Barry stop by and chat with us for a bit. I've only every seen the guy on TV and never would have thought I'd meet him in person, that was pretty cool.

Comment

GREAT CLASS! learned alot! Thank you very much to both mikes who taught the class. It was cool when barry stopped by in his FORD GT and told some interesting stories. Thanks for adding me last minute!
              2003 BMW X5 4.4i

Comment

The class was great and now I am trying to find out where to buy a hood stand so I can practice on some old pieces and get more efficient before tackling a real car.

Any suggestions on where I can find one and what it is called? I tried doing some searches for hood stand but that isn't bringing up the right thing. I was also wondering how Meguiars mounted the hood to the stands so they did not tip off the stand when pressure is being applied with the rotary buffer.

Thanks again for a great class.

Comment

Anybody know where to get a hood stand?

Comment

Check with your local PBE store...
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hood stand is called a......hood stand
                      Should be able to find one at your local paint supply store. I picked mine up at English Color for $35.

I just noticed all the pictures Mike posted up. I look lazy in every one of them
                      I promise that I wasn't just leaning on that hood. It was seriously moving around when we were sanding and buffing on it. I was trying to hold it in place

Nick
                      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');