• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year was the last year that auto manufactures used single stage paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year was the last year that auto manufactures used single stage paint?

What year was the last year that auto manufactures used single stage paint? My dad still thinks that auto companies are still painting cars with single stage on some cars or trucks.
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Re: What year was the last year that auto manufactures used single stage paint?

There are still a few cars that have single stage paint.

Some Lexus vehicles have a black single stage. Also, Lancers have single stage paint.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Really I never new that thanks. I guess my dad won the bet. The bet was if the car manufactures still painted single stage paint cars I guess I lost.
      Alex
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

BMW, new mini's stopped in 04 for the new grey'er Astro Black.

Comment

Wow I thought they stopped using single stage a long time ago.
          Alex
          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

About 95% of new cars built today have b/c - c/c....

Mike
            Mike Pennington
            Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
            Meguiar's, Inc.
            800-854-8073
            mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

That is hard to say...

I believe GM and Ford started using BC/CC around 1985 with the F250/350's getting it around 1987.

Each manufacturer had its own intro to BC/CC, and while there are a few exceptions (certain reds in 1990's by Ford,. etc) and black with the Lexus of certain years, like Mike said, ~95% are BC/CC today.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                That is hard to say...

I believe GM and Ford started using BC/CC around 1985 with the F250/350's getting it around 1987.

Each manufacturer had its own intro to BC/CC, and while there are a few exceptions (certain reds in 1990's by Ford,. etc) and black with the Lexus of certain years, like Mike said, ~95% are BC/CC today.

Tim
                I have a 1986 Bronco with factory BC/CC. I'm not too sure what my truck had, since it was repainted at some point in time.

The later 80's does definitely seem to be when Ford started switching.

Comment

Don't all white cars have single stage paint?

Comment

Our Porsche has a white PPG BC / CC paint job. Also, our Lumina from a while back had a white BC / CC paint.
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 08 Corolla View Post
                      Don't all white cars have single stage paint?
                      No, but white is generally a tougher color to work with. I believe that is because of the type of paint white is (something hard like enamel).

Comment

I think single stage is better. Reason being is that you can bring it back from a dull finish to a nice finish again. My T-bird just for fun it was dull (White) I used the DC system and it brought it back to life.
                        Thanks for all the info.
                        Alex
                        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Originally posted by stang97 View Post
                          I think single stage is better. Reason being is that you can bring it back from a dull finish to a nice finish again. My T-bird just for fun it was dull (White) I used the DC system and it brought it back to life.
                          Thanks for all the info.
                          Sure, while single stage is general softer, we do have to remember how fast it oxidizes and how much more maintenance it requires. That said, it is alawys fun to work on an oxidizes single stage paint and see the transofmration with little effort.

Comment

True that it does oxidize fast, Is the lead in the paint a reason why single stage can be brought back to original condition?
                            Alex
                            1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Hmm... I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure single stage paint has no lead in it. That is, unless it's from China...
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');