• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for a white car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for a white car...

Ok this is what I do with my sisters white Astra

NXT Wash
    Clay
    #80 Speed Glaze
    2 X #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

The car is in the elements 24 hours a day 265 days a year. I do the full routine above approximately every 3-4 months. Hold up pretty well.

The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Okay, since I haven't had luck on a white car I'm doing, even with #83, are you using a rotary or d/a ?
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by professorsabre View Post
        The car is in the elements 24 hours a day 265 days a year.
        So where is the car the other 100 days?

Actually, you're car looks fantastic. Since I already had my stuff at home, I did my usual.

1. NXT Wash

2. Clay

3. Deep Cleaner

4. Polish #7

5. 2 x NXT Tech Wax

First application of wax was on for about an hour, I removed it and put on the second coat and put her to sleep in the garage. I'll let her marinade over night.

If I have time, I'll post pics tomorrow night, but she looked amazing.

Although I must admit, waxing a white car (something I've never done before) was almost impossible. When I went REALLY thin, I could barely see what I was doing, so I HAD to use a bit more wax then I normally do.

Coincidentally, I did my wife's (silver SUV) yesterday, let it stay overnight and then woke up this morning (at 7am), gave her a final buff and put her in the driveway. An hour later, I open the front door to show my wife her car and there is a dove sitting on the roof of her car on a big pile of sh*t. If I had a gun...

It just gave me a chance to try the new "speed detailer". Gave it shot and the poop just slid off like glass. Amazing!
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
          First application of wax was on for about an hour, I removed it and put on the second coat and put her to sleep in the garage. I'll let her marinade over night.

3Fitty,

For future reference there is no real need to let the wax remain on the vehicle over night. If the wax is cured (NXT takes about15-25 minutes depending on outside temp and humidity) just remove then wait over night then apply your next coat. I will suggest you do the swipe test. After your apply your wax of choice let it cure for 15-20 minutes then take a clean finger and swipe it over the waxed paint if you see streak free paint in the area that you swiped remove the wax. If you see streaks let the wax cure for a few more minutes then re-swipe in another area then remove if cured.Letting the wax cure over night may also make the wax/sealant harder to remove.

Andrew
          2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Really??? Thanks for the info. I thought I read here, that letting it sit overnight would really let is set up and cure. My bad (although it is too late now), because I'm at work and my car is still at home in the garage (I take a train into the office).

I'll do what you said in the future.

Comment

Would it be OVERKILL if I hit it with a quick NXT spray wax after I take off the NXT liquid wax?

Comment

Originally posted by onawrxhigh View Post
                3Fitty,

For future reference there is no real need to let the wax remain on the vehicle over night. If the wax is cured (NXT takes about15-25 minutes depending on outside temp and humidity) just remove then wait over night then apply your next coat.
                Don’t confuse the time it takes to dry and the time it takes to cure as they are not the same. “Dry” time is the amount of time before the product can be removed from your finish, and “Cure” time is the time needed for the polymers fully set-up and bond with your finish.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052

To quote Mike Phillips, ‘The 12 hour window of time is just a best case scenario for those people that want the maximum results possible’
                Last edited by cv_soccer; Mar 24, 2008, 11:33 AM. Reason: Did not post correctly
                ---
                Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Comment

Originally posted by cv_soccer View Post
                  Don’t confuse the time it takes to dry and the time it takes to cure as they are not the same. “Dry” time is the amount of time before the product can be removed from your finish, and “Cure” time is the time needed for the polymers fully set-up and bond with your finish.

[FONT=[/IMG]]http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052

To quote Mike Phillips, ‘The 12 hour window of time is just a best case scenario for those people that want the maximum results possible’

So, am I right or am I wrong? My overnight wax was "best case scenario"?

[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                    So, am I right or am I wrong? My overnight wax was "best case scenario"?

[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
                    3Fitty,

You may still be confused. The best case scenario would be applying the wax and removing it once the "WAX IS DRY" once it is removed you should wait up to 12 hours for the "WAX TO CURE" before re-applying a second coat. Once the second coat is applied you should give this fresh coat some CURING time also. Think of the DRYING phase as the carriers(solvent) for the wax/sealant are evaporating and you are left with the residue that you wipe off. The CURING phase is when the waxes chemical compounds are actually physically bonding with the paint and giving you that protective later. I hope this really help you out.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by onawrxhigh View Post
                      3Fitty,

You may still be confused. The best case scenario would be applying the wax and removing it once the "WAX IS DRY" once it is removed you should wait up to 12 hours for the "WAX TO CURE" before re-applying a second coat. Once the second coat is applied you should give this fresh coat some CURING time also. Think of the DRYING phase as the carriers(solvent) for the wax/sealant are evaporating and you are left with the residue that you wipe off. The CURING phase is when the waxes chemical compounds are actually physically bonding with the paint and giving you that protective later. I hope this really help you out.

Andrew
                      Doh!!! Thanks for the explanation. I really WAS confused.

Did I tell you that I took the small bus to school?

Comment

3Fitty,

I am glad I was able to help you get it. Also the nxt spray wax is ment to be a booster wax for use after a wash to help add back the freashly waxed look.

Andrew

Comment

Andrew,

Thanks a lot. That clarified things for me (for future reference). I told my wife about my mistake and she laughed her a$$ off at me.

Comment

glad I help.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by CWM3 View Post
                              There is a thread on Autopia that shows a white Lancer Evolution IX that looks good. Different process and products, as well as being single stage paint, but it shows what a white car can look like.

Here is another one (BMW):

And another (Lambo):
                              http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20952

Wait a minute an the white paint on an evo is a single stage?

Comment

I find it very hard to take decent pictures of a white car - here are a couple of links, since the pics are pretty large...

Ever wonder what was hiding under that spoiler? I just had to remove it to see where all the goo creeping out from under the edges was coming from.

Afterwards it looked quite good, but that one is coming back for a detail in a week or two, so it's going to be interesting to see how much goo has returned since July of 07.

I'm better at shining sheet metal now compared to then, it will be interesting to see what changes will appear.

Mike
                                Finally learning how to shine sheet-metal!
                                Pictures live here!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');