• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy Oxidation Remover!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Oxidation Remover!

I picked up a couple of sample packs of the Oxidation Remover the other day when buying some products for my boat. I have a buddy of mine that has a bass boat with some major oxidation & gel coat problems. The top cap of the boat is dull, faded & very rough!

I don't have a rotary or any other type tools so we tried a small spot by hand. I applied some of the oxidation remover to a cotton towel & applied it to a 8 inch circle on top of the boat & then removed it with a clean towel. It made a HUGE difference so I put a little more in the same spot & did it again & then removed it. I then followed it up with some polish & Fine Wax, all by hand.

He now has a 8 inch circle on the top deck of his boat that actually shines in the sunlight again! I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome of using this stuff by hand. With a rotary or the proper tool & some cutting pads I am convinced this stuff will have his paint looking like new in no time!

Re: Heavy Oxidation Remover!

It's vitally important that after you compound gel coat you then polish and wax it or seal it up otherwise your compounding work will just leave the gel-coat susceptible to more oxidation.

Other than that it's a great product and will help both you and your buddy to getting your boats back to show room new condition.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have been trying #67 on my heavily oxidized gel coat with not so great results. It looks great as i'm doing it, but the next day it looks almost the way it did before i started. I am using a rotary buffer at approx. 1700 to 1800 rpms and using the W8006 pad. Was wondering if using a different pad such as the W7006 or the W4000 would make a big difference or should i switch to # 91?

Comment

Originally posted by sceptre74 View Post
        I have been trying #67 on my heavily oxidized gel coat with not so great results. It looks great as i'm doing it, but the next day it looks almost the way it did before i started.

I am using a rotary buffer at approx. 1700 to 1800 rpms and using the W8006 pad.

Was wondering if using a different pad such as the W7006 or the W4000 would make a big difference or should i switch to # 91?
        The pad you're using is too gentle for what you're trying to do and actually the wrong type of pad for an aggressive compound. You want to switch to a wool cutting pad like our W4000.

After compounding a TEST SPOT, that is a small section, try polishing and waxing and then see how the results look and how long they hold up.

Compounding is only one step and it's not the finishing it step it's the beginning step.

If M67 isn't cutting it, that is it's not removing enough oxidized gel-coat to expose a fresh base then yes, substitute a more aggressive products and be sure to use it with a wool cutting pad.

Also, since this is your first post,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

And a second note, it's usually better to start your own brand new thread for your project and questions versus tagging onto someone else's thread for their project and their questions.

There are some pictures on the bottom of the forum homepage that show how to start a new thread,

If you want to start a new thread, then click to the appropriate forum by clicking here and selecting the forum that best describes what your topic will be about and then look for the button on the left hand side of the page that says, New Thread and click on it. You'll see a place to type in your Subject and below that a message box that you can type your message into. After you're finished with your message, click on the Submit New Thread button and your message will be posted to the forum.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

This would be a good choice for working with an aggressive compound on heavily oxidized gel-coat.

Cut N' Shine Wool Pad

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Sorry about highjacking this thread and thanks for the reply. Just one more question. Can i use this 8 inch wool pad on a & inch polisher, and is the W8006 pad the right one for putting on # 45 and # 56? Thanks

Comment

Can i use this 8 inch wool pad on a & inch polisher,
              Yes, as long as you have a backing plate to attach to the wool pad that also attachés to your rotary buffer.

and is the W8006 pad the right one for putting on # 45 and # 56?
              Yes and no.

You can use a rotary buffer to apply a wax but in most cases when you apply a wax with a rotary buffer you can leave swirls in the finish, probably be okay to do on a gel-coat finish but on a clear coat the wax should be applied by hand or with a DA Polisher.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the info and speedy reply.

Comment

One more quick question. Does the wool pad get plugged up with the material coming off the gel coat and if so, does it happen quickly. Just want to know how many to order and also how to cleam them. Thanks again

Comment

You could switch to a new pad or buy a pad washer and clean your pad. You can also get a Spur and use it to clean your pad.

How big is this boat?
                    Are you a detailer or is this a one time project?

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

First off, what is a Spur? Also what pad washer do you recommend? I am a commercial fisherman with a 40 foot cape island fishing boat. It is maroon which is one of the worst colors for fading and oxidization. It's 5 years old and never been touch. I'm hoping this will work or it's gonna be a coat of paint.

Comment

First off, what is a Spur? Also what pad washer do you recommend? I am a commercial fisherman with a 40 foot cape island fishing boat. It is maroon which is one of the worst colors for fading and oxidization. It's 5 years old and never been touch. I'm hoping this will work or it's gonna be a coat of paint.
                        A Spur is a tool for cleaning wool pads, it is basically what looks like a spur you would find on a Cowboy's boot attached to a handle and you hold this against a wool pad as it's spinning and it will clean off built up compound residue.

There are two pad washers on the market and for cleaning wool pads they both work pretty well. For cleaning foam pads I would give the edge to the one sold by the GritGaurd.com company.

That's a lot of boat to polish out...

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Tell me about it. considering i already went over it twice. Thanks again

Comment

Tell me about it. considering i already went over it twice. Thanks again
                            Do a Test Spot with the compound/wool pad combination and then polish and wax this section.

See if you can make one small area look good and test to see if the results will hold up before going over the entire boat.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I'll give that a try. Thanks again for the help. Just wish i wouod have came here first for some help. Oh well, you live and learn

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');