• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Ford F-150 BLACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Ford F-150 BLACK

This weekend I worked on a highly oxidized black F-150. It wasn't single stage paint and was really in bad condition. On with the pics.

Here is the before
    Ford F-150
    DSC_00220001

I expected there to be swirls & scratches but with the condition of the paint before polishing it was hard to tell until I gave it the first pass.
    DSC_00390001
    A couple more passes and it began looking a little better.
    DSC_00350001

Here is a half polished tailgate. I tried several combinations of polish before I was able to dial in what worked for me.
    DSC_00480001
    DSC_01090001
    BEFORE
    DSC_00230001
    AFTER
    DSC_00370001
    DSC_00340001

DSC_01120001
    DSC_01130001
    DSC_01150001

I tried several combinations of polish & pads. I even tried M-105 which didn't do much for me but it did work great as a finishing polish. When I delivered the truck to the customer he had company over and when they all came out to see the end result they were amazed. They literally thought the truck was repainted which made me feel good and well worth the 13 hours spent on the paint. Once again another satisfied customer.
    Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
    www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
    Facebook www.detailing.com

Re: 2001 Ford F-150 BLACK

Great job! That's a heck of a difference. 13 hours well spent.

I like your work area too, the open air garage. Can't do that in Wisconsin but looks nice there.
    Scott

Comment

wow! what a difference, surely that must be single-stage paint?

Comment

WOW!!! I can't believe the paint was that oxidized! The half and half of the tailgate was awesome. I kept looking at it thinking I was missing something - like you put product on the right side but hadn't taken it off yet. I'm amazed that people allow their vehicles - typically the second most expensive purchase one will make - to get to that point. Job well done. WOW!!!
        A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

That's an amazing transformation!
          Wonderful job

Comment

Wow, what a great save. Great work. It does look like a new paint job. I bet you impressed the owner and his company. Once again great job.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Nice save Jesse...

We're confident you educated the owner he couldn't treat your results like he has been treating the truck all this time or be right back to where it was before you operated with your surgical expertise.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great turn around. Was it a Maaco Paint job?
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Awesome job that truck looks great.
                  Alex
                  1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                  1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                  1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

WOW thats amazing. Too bad all the F-150s have horrible orange peel.

Very nice work Jesse!!

Ryan
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Wow, nice turn around, that thing looks soaking wet!

Comment

OMG? hahahahahhahaha how does clearcoat paint oxidize so much.....

i bet all his buddies will have you do their cars too hahhahahha

[I had to edit part of your acronym as it was definitely not family friendly. Please be cognitive to that in the future; Thanks, Tim]

Comment

Really Great!

So what process did you end up with after trying different combos?
                          SYDSTER

Comment

Thank you all for the kind comments. When I first saw the condition of the paint I figured it would be a single stage. Once I got started I didn't see any paint transfer onto any of my pads or towels. So, I figured it had a clear coat. I may be wrong.
                            Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            Nice save Jesse...

We're confident you educated the owner he couldn't treat your results like he has been treating the truck all this time or be right back to where it was before you operated with your surgical expertise.

I sure did Mike. I'll check back with him in a couple of months to see how he's doing with maintaining his truck.

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                            Great job! That's a heck of a difference. 13 hours well spent.

I like your work area too, the open air garage. Can't do that in Wisconsin but looks nice there.
                            Thanks BlueZero. I love this work space as well. This past weekend was a bit warm but for some reason I get a nice cool breeze when I'm working there. Really makes the jobs easier to work with.

Originally posted by lilblkblt04 View Post
                            WOW thats amazing. Too bad all the F-150s have horrible orange peel.

Very nice work Jesse!!

Ryan
                            Thanks Ryan. That paint definitely had quite a bit of orange peel.

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                            Wow, nice turn around, that thing looks soaking wet!

Thanks Tom. His buddies were saying that too when they saw it. The sun was setting when I delivered it so the lighting was just right and made the paint stand out even nicer.

Originally posted by Sydster View Post
                            Really Great!

So what process did you end up with after trying different combos?
                            Thanks Sydster.
                            PROCESS
                            After washing and claying I started out with #80 and a W8006 pad on a G110That oiled up the paint nicely but wasn't doing much.
                            What ended up working for me was a wool pad on the rotory using #84. Followed by #83 on 7006 pad and finishing up with two passes of #80 on a 8006 pad also on the rotory. That cleaned up the hazing and the very light scratches that were left over very nicely. I finished up with one pass of #66 to make sure I had no holograms left over.

Thanks again all for the kind comments!
                            Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                            www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                            Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Black vehicle + Meguiars + knowledgeable detailer = POW !!!!. Nice job on making that black paint pop....great work !

13 hours. I tell someone that they look at me like I have 3 heads...they just don't get it...
                              Bill Poirier
                              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');