• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? about #16 wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about #16 wax

I ordered a tin of #16 from meguiars and got it today now it's
    been awhile since i used a paste wax but should #16 be kind of
    hard when it's still in the tin because most paste waxes i've used are kind of creamy? Also i'm going from a 7/26 combo to a 81/16 combo and was wondering what differences well i notice as far as looks if any?

thanks
    slicker

Yes, it's consistency is harder than most pastes waxes. (unless they've changed it - been quite a while since I've used it).

Anyhow, it's a nice product, and IMHO, more durable than #26. It can be a little finicky when removing if not applied/removed correctly.
    Boss_429

Comment

thanks boss for the info

slicker

Comment

Re: ? about #16 wax

Originally posted by slicker
        I ordered a tin of #16 from meguiars and got it today now it's
        been awhile since i used a paste wax but should #16 be kind of
        hard when it's still in the tin because most paste waxes i've used are kind of creamy? Also i'm going from a 7/26 combo to a 81/16 combo and was wondering what differences well i notice as far as looks if any?

thanks
        slicker
        Hi slicker,

Over the years I have heard #16 Professional Paste Wax referred to as a hard wax, a heavy wax, and a with a high molecular weight. It is hard in the can, not creamy like shortening.

The way to use this wax is to take you wax applicator and spin in fast little circles in the can on top of the wax. This little bit of friction will liquefy the wax and in essence covert it to a liquid [on the surface] making it very easy to apply.

Apply in very thin coats and remove shortly after it hazes. I applied some #16 just yesterday over the top of NXT Tech Wax on a clear coated, black 1999 Corvette just to see how it would look. While it didn’t look bad, I don’t think it to the results of Tech Wax to a higher level. (With all the talk of people topping Tech Wax, I thought no better test subject than a black Corvette that I had just polished out)

You might try both microfiber and your best, softest terry cloth towel for removing the #16 PPW. Especially if you let it dry too long. It dries very, very hard. Thus some of the terms used to describe this wax. Except for wiping off hard if you let it sit too long, I think it is very similar to P21S, even better. Interesting to me is that this wax has been around since 1951.

As far as going from a 7/26 combo to a 81/16 combo, I think if you do a side by side comparison, you’ll find the #26 Hi Tech Yellow wax will always leave a darker finish, (on medium to dark colored cars), while the #16 really adds a lot of gloss, but doesn’t darken paint like #26, Gold Class, Cleaner/Wax, ColorX and Tech Wax.

Hope this helps…

Mike

p.s.

What are you applying these combo’s to?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Apply the #16 THIN, like you would NXT or Zaino etc.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');