• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob here needs advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob here needs advice!

Hey everybody!

I've been looking through this site for the past couple weeks and its very informative! i just recently signed up so i could post some questions i had!

Well, i went to canadian tire and stocked up on some items after i read/watched the 5 steps of meguiars! This is a pic of all the items i've got so far!...

So to my knowledge these are the steps i should do...

Interior
    Wheels and tire
    Rinse
    Wash (2 bucket method,1 with grit guard + soap, other with warm water)
    ----- ( Not sure if i should dry first then clay? )
    Clay
    Paint cleaner step 1
    Polish step 2
    NXT Tech Wax

Am i missing anything? lol

Well, i heard from a lot of people that, it would take forever to do all this by hand.. clean,polish,wax.. so i am deciding to invest in a

Porter Cable 7424
    I live in Canada and only place i could find this is at Canadian Tire, and even they dont have any in stock lols... Its 230 there, I found this website

They are selling it there, they don't have any mcguiars Backing pads Or Pads, Onli lake country, SHOULD i just order the lake country pads from there as well? Because i just went to lordco today and a backing pad is 40 dollars and pads are 45 each.. and according to my research i need
    3 pads..
    8000 Harsher Cut
    8006 Mild Cut
    9006? Finishing

Correct me if im wrong please ( probably lol ) Would it be okay to use the lake country pads with the paint cleaner / polish/ wax ? Should i just order the polisher alone and buy the pads at lordco for 40/peice?.. BTW the website offers FREE shipping.. thats another reason why im ordering online..

Well Thanks for reading everyone!! I hope u guys can help me turn my
    NBP ( black ) TL into a sexy shinying machine! ahahs

Re: Noob here needs advice!

Hey,
    First of all Welcome to MOL!

Now on to some of your questions.
    I normally do interiors last. Maybe just my preference though. Your wash method is fine, but after cleaning your tires and wheels you don't want to use the same water. You may then be wiping your car down with the brake dust/road grime you just cleaned off. Personally I do the wheels last.
    Dry first, then clay. Then DC1, DC2, NXT. Good.
    2 8006 pads would be fine and 1 9006 finishing. No 8000.
    In other words:
    DC1=8006, DC2+8006, NXT=9006 finishing pad. I have never used the LC pads, though I know some here have and I am sure will chime in.
    Almost everyone starts by hand. You would probably be looking at around 6-8 hours doing this by hand, but you would be surprised at how fast that time goes by.

Hope this helps a little.

Andy
    101impala
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

There should be a number of places online to buy the machine and pads. I'm not certain which will ship to Canada, but I'd expect most will. A couple I've dealt with are AutoGeek.net and AutoDetailingSolutions.com.

I bought the Lake Country pad kit bundled with my PC and have subseqently been buying Meguiar's pads. I'm not sure if one brand is better. I do know the Lake Country brand won't keep you from gettting the job done, and the bundled pricing seems best to me.

My original backing plate was defective and replaced immediately. I've also purchased a spare backing plate in case my current one wears out.

Comment

How much did u guys buy your PC 7424 or G-100 for? they sell for 230 here at canadian tire and at the website they go for 150... oh and they ship for free aswell.. im most likely going to order from there..

Just debating if i should order the bundle pack of lake country pads along with the PC or i should just go and buy mcguiars pads..

40 = backing pad
        35 = 8006 pad
        35 = 8006 pad
        35 = 9006 pad

Just for the 4 pads.. itd cost me 150 almost =| and thats including tax yet =\ i think i'll probably go for the lake countries since its about 50 for all 4 pads.. you guys might think the price are crazy but this is the onli place i can find the mcguiars pad at.. (lordco) ps. i live in canada where everythign is overpriced lol

Comment

I know some people use the Lake Country pads but I would suggest staying with the Meguiars pads if possible. They are designed to work with their products. Auto Detailing Solutions, as previously mentioned, carries pads too and has a 6 pack price at a reduced rate. A case of 6 pads is only $49.95 US. That's only $50.78 CAD. Seems like a much better deal to me and you get six pads mix and match any combo you want.

They also have a G100 kit that comes with the backing plate and foam polishing pad along with some micro fiber towels for 152.48 CAD. Oh, and I forgot the free Meguiars duffel bag!

I don't know how much the shipping is but you might want to check them out as a comparison.

According to the conversion program I used, the CA dollar is only slightly higher than a US dollar. They are almost even currency wise.

Comment

hey brickyardz,

No questions asked i would use mcguiars over any other products but when it comes down to... 40 dollars for 4 lake country pads or 150 for 4 mcguiars pads.. i dunno.. i think most people would choose the 40 dollars.. and not like the lake county pads are no named.. they are commonly used.. also i checked auto detailing solutions and i saw all the free deals they are offering.. i looked at the shipping section and it seems as though they don't ship here.. =[

Comment

also i checked auto detailing solutions and i saw all the free deals they are offering.. i looked at the shipping section and it seems as though they don't ship here.. =[
              That's strange since it says they do international shipping. You might want to give them a call just to verify. I didn't look at all the specifics but maybe they don't ship to CA. A simple phone call might save you a lot of money in the end. Your call though.

I understand your position on the costs, I just know what I have learned from several Meguiars classes and reading other posts here. It gets harder to help if you run into troubles using someone elses pads and the Meguiars products but they do work and others use them.

Comment

If you would like you can contact Rick @ ADS, wonderful customer service and he'll give you the information you need

Comment

"
                  International Orders We do not ship International orders out of the US. If you are visiting the US, have a freight forwarding company or a relative/friend inside the US you can use our shopping cart and pay with your countries currency. Please provide your US shipping address when checking out, or send a follow up email with the address. Please see the list below of all prohibited products that may not be shipped out of the US through the USPS.

"

I think im going to just buy the porter cable from th e site, and buy the meguiars pads at lordco.. I just want to clear things up before i go out and buy the pads..

Wash - Meguiars Gold class Car wash
                  Clay - Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay + Superior Shine Microfiber
                  Dry - Sheep skin chammy + air blower
                  Clean - Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner + PC + 8006 pad + microfiber
                  Polish - Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish + PC + 8006 Pad + microfiber
                  Wax - Meguiars NXT Tech Wax + PC + 9006 pad + microfiber

Some Q's...
                  - Is one backing pad good enough for all the pads? because i had this 3M guy come into one of my class at school and said that THEY use 2 different backing pads, one is harder than the other.. Harder for harsher pads and softer one for milder pads
                  -Would it be okay to use 1 8006 pad for BOTH paint cleaner + polisher? cause yea.. one pad does run for 40 bucks here..
                  -Same with microfiber.. Would it be okay to use the same one for all 4 steps? clay/clean/polish/wax or do i need a differnt one for each step? The 3M guy also used a " yellow 3M MF for clean+polish " and a " blue 3M MF for wax " claims the blue one is much softer..
                  -Last Q, they have these MFs on sale at Canadian tire reg price is 10 bucks for a pack of 3 and its now 4.99 should i get those ? and use it for the clay/clean/polish? and use the one
                  Superior shine i have for the waxing stage?

Thanks for all you guys help! im looking forward on spending 7 hours on my car ahash =P

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');