• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start-Up Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start-Up Question

I about to make my first order of supplies for my new mobile detailing business. I will be purchasing the start up package from autodetailingsolutions.com and wanted to know of anything critical to add to it? (i.e. waxes, polishes, chemicals, misc, etc). I had someone mention that should pick up some #26 and more polishing pads, anything else? Thanks in advance everyone!
    Forever New
    Mobile Detailing
    Jacksonville, FL

Re: Start-Up Question

It may be taboo to mention other detailing lines and I myself am a Meguiar's guy, but are there other lines or products that you guys use on a regular basis? I've stopped by and done some reading on other boards such as autopia and mobileworks.

I just want to make sure that I have the best products in my van before working on clients cars. Thanks again to all for any help or advice you can give.
    Forever New
    Mobile Detailing
    Jacksonville, FL

Comment

When did you start detailing? What services do you plan to provide?

I'm asking because it seems awkward to start a business while you don't even know what supplies you need.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm curious because I want to help you out.

Another thing.... if you're new to detailing, I wouldn't start getting clients and getting your name around, because if you make a slight mistake you have a LOT of making up to do.
      Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
      Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Originally posted by Forever New View Post
        It may be taboo to mention other detailing lines and I myself am a Meguiar's guy, but are there other lines or products that you guys use on a regular basis? ...

...I just want to make sure that I have the best products in my van before working on clients cars. ...
        There really is no such thing as the best products for all cars, all the time. That’s why Meguiar’s makes a whole range of products. And yes, there are folks out there who find products from other suppliers that they personally like better.

It comes down ones own opinion and personal choice. The only way to know what you like best through experience.

Products are only one piece of the pie. A pro detailer’s skill, experience and dedication are far more important that the brand of products he/she uses.

A skilled detailer will get good results with products from any reputable manufacturer. Hacks will get bad results no matter whose products they use.

PC.

Comment

Ive been detailing for a little while (about 6 years) but mainly on family and friends cars across a broad spectrum. (which includes daily drivers, collectables, and show cars). I myself have always used Meguiar's as I personally have been very happy with the results.

To start my business I will be doing basic mobile details, including the interior and exterior. Which will include slight paint correction and nothing crazy or extreme, headlight cleaning etc to start with. Later I plan to add a vapor steamer and an extractor and offer other services. This is my first step from a hobby to a business and I just want to make sure I have the basics, so I have a solid base to work from and grow as a professional. That is why I want to know what beyond ADS.com's start-up package would be good to include and any other items that would be good to have in my tool set. Thanks!
          Forever New
          Mobile Detailing
          Jacksonville, FL

Comment

I don’t do this professionally so take any of my advice with a grain of salt (and at your own risk ).

I think the ADS startup package is an excellent collection to get you going. As with anything you’ll have your own style and will make additions that work for you.

Just off the top of my head, I’d personally buy a lot more towels. I’d get a couple more mitts too. If I drop one while working I’d rather grab a fresh one than mess with it.

PC.

Comment

If you aren't going to be doing any major paint restoration then there isn't much more that you would need as for Meguiars products. If you did want to offer some more swirl removal options then you might want to get a more abrasive polishe like #85, and also a less abrasive polish like #9.
              Some other things you might consider...
              - one of those brushes you use on your pad to remove excess dried up materials. mine is bright orange. make sure you get one for the foam pad

- grit guard system for your wash buckets.

- possibly some aggressive clay

- A glass polishing system

- some different kinds of MF towels.

- a cleaner for the MF towels to effectively clean them w/o leaving residue

- depending on where you work, you'll want better lighting, or if your mobile you'll want a nice tent. two 15x10 tents would be IDEAL. put them so they are 15"w and 20"long.

- might as well upgrade to the extractor. If you don't want it right now, upgrade anyway and I'll buy it from you. I've been wanting to replace mine. lol.

- find a wax that you like and stick with it. look for something easy to apply, good durability, ect. Peoples preferences are different here so experience is what counts. I just gave Megs NXT 2.0 a shot and so far so good. I love the slickness of it. My #1 fave is Zaino as for results, but it's dry time can be long without the ZFX accelerator. I like how it doesn't stain plastic though. There's all sorts of things to look for in a wax, so figure out what you want and try different things.

- you definitely need some 303 vinyl/rubber protectant.

- some misc detail brushes of various sizes. tire scrub brushes, mini detail brushes, ect.

there's more but a lot of it you learn you need as you go. It's neverending, trust me. It's nice to find easier ways to do something.
              I just got quick connect for all my hoses and connectors and it's saved me a lot of time and sped up the process. I also just ordered a water softening system that clears all the **** out of the water to get rid of any chance of water spots forming.
              Wiseguys Auto Detailing

Serving North Florida

Comment

Well fla. is a hard place to start detailing but mobile will help alot don't just jump in get a plan in hand write it down know your costs' and what your profits' will be or your just doing it for nuttin.

As for products' that is a hard question my friend everyone has different stuff they like for different situations' like i might like zymol wax but THE OTHER PC might like mothers' wax we all might like meguiars' compounds' but may not like there microfibers' so you really have to do alot of research and playin around with other products' out there

Also i'm not out to stop you just go slow so you don't go broke remember there are alot of others' out there find out who they are competition is good just know who and where they are i could go on an on but that would put everyone to sleep

One more thing make sure who you buy from can supply you and know your products' try some schools' it is always good to get info.
                Buff -Buff -Buff till your brain shine's brite than Buff a little more till the end of the night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                  There really is no such thing as the best products for all cars, all the time. That’s why Meguiar’s makes a whole range of products. And yes, there are folks out there who find products from other suppliers that they personally like better.

It comes down ones own opinion and personal choice. The only way to know what you like best through experience.

Products are only one piece of the pie. A pro detailer’s skill, experience and dedication are far more important that the brand of products he/she uses.

A skilled detailer will get good results with products from any reputable manufacturer. Hacks will get bad results no matter whose products they use.

PC.
                  I could not agree more. Some products will enhance the results a pro will get, but that's about all.

I could exchange Swissvax Saphir and get similar results with Natty's Blue, Meguiars, or Pinnacle Souveran. The same could be said for Menzerna compounds. I can get the same results with just about any manufacturer. It's all about preference.
                  We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

Hey i just said that lol
                    Buff -Buff -Buff till your brain shine's brite than Buff a little more till the end of the night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');