• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 Ponitac Grand Am??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Ponitac Grand Am??

Here are some pictures of my car that I got the other day and this is also where the questions come in lol.

There are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start.

1. There is alot of build up on the rims and I don't actually know how to get rid of it and on top of that I think there is some rust build up on them as well, but it's not as bad.

2. There are many scratches in the paint it's unbelievable.

3. I know this one doesn't really have anything to do with this topic, but on the passenger side window there are many scratches in the tint from it being rolled up and down that I don't know what is causing it. Can any one help in this one.

Those are the questions and I was wondering what would be the best route in fixing this? I am looking at a new paint job but that wont be for another couple of months or so.

Re: 1999 Ponitac Grand Am??

1. Try some Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner and a wheel brush and see what happens.
    2. Get yourself some terry applicator pads and Scratch X for the bigger scratches, or just do the whole car with it. Then with foam applicator pads, use the Deep Crystal System on it. That will make it look much better. If you really want to get it looking great, clay the paint before you do any of that.
    3. That is from the guides for the glass inside the door. It has started to do that on my car as well. Not sure that you can/would want to "fix" that.

There are other routes to fixing the paint, it just depends how involved you want to get. If you are seriously considering a repaint, then no point and going out and spending a bit of money on products (The Deep Crystal System is fairly inexpensive ). However, a bit more could possibly save you the repaint if the scratches really aren't that bad.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I know it would be a waste of money to buy the products but I am a beginner so I would like to try this on the older paint before I actually decide to paint it later. That why when it comes to taking care of the newer paint I will know what to do.

I will post a picture of the window when I get the chance too. The scratches on the window are actually pretty bad

Comment

If you want to prepare yourself to properly take car of it after a repaint, then I would consider getting a DA, M83, M80, M07, M26, M21 2.0, 2 W8006 pads, and 3 W9006 pads. Using a machine will yield better results and faster results than by hand. My point being, if you were to try and fix the paint on the car and could live with some scratches (unless they are all big), you may be able to just avoid repainting the car. Daylight pictures of the problems would help everyone out a bit more too, since you can see the car much better.

Comment

If you want to learn for the new paint job, practice on this. But by learning the correct way to care for your paint, you just might surprise yourself at how you saved this paint. Good luck.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thank you every for the post. I will update the pictures with some new ones and with better light if I can. The ones that I posted where taken from my phone, since it's the only camera I have right now lol but I have a fashion for black so that is why I wanted to paint it later one in the future.

The paint that is one it right now isn't really in bad condition only in certain areas which I will post later on tomorrow but I will look up the items that you posted and see if any of my stores around here carry them on hand.

Scratches

Outside window

This is one that will show the window with the scratches on it... This is only in the tint and not the window itself and also does not show on the outside of the window.

Comment

Yep, those scratches are from the window guides. The only fix for that is to get them re-tinted, unfortunately.

As far as changing the color on a repaint, that is generally much more expensive. If you do go that route, you will most definitely want to get a polisher.

Comment

Update:

There is a blushing under the driver side mirror and it's pretty bad too. I tried to use the ScratchX and the Deep Crystal and it still didn't work. I also have to ask is what kind of DA is best to use?

Comment

I think as far as the paint goes, if you could live with using a $5.00 bottle of touch up paint to fix the chips, I think you could save the $$$$$ from a repaint and invest it in some quality detailing supplies and make it look pretty dang good.

Can you feel those scratches in the hood with your fingernail? If those are the worst, maybe you could just have the hood repainted.

As for the wheels, that looks more like caked-on brake dust than rust. Some Wheel Brightener and a brush would take care of that if it was going to come off. You could repaint those yourself if you wanted to.

Ulitmately it is up to you whether or not you want to repaint the car. I'm just pointing out that if you can live with a few imperfections, you can save some serious amounts of money (especially considering the cost of repainting a car).

Comment

one thing you can do to the windows is polish them inside and out,to kinda "lube"them going up and down.i do that to my blazer cause i always have the window going up and down.

Comment

I think depending on your expectations, You could save this paint. Go the touch up route that Tyler suggested and I think your car will look pretty good if you do the preperation work completely. Good luck and keep us updated on your work.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

ok, I am find with either one if them.. The scratches "Yes" and "no". Some of them I can feel with my finger nail but then the others I can't they are just there.

When I post those pictures I forgot two of them.. I thought they uploaded but they didn't so here they are:

This is possibly the worse part of the car that I have came across. I don't mind going with touch up paint for the time being has long has my car doesn't look trashed lol. I am a person that takes pride in my car and will do what I can to enhance that :P

Comment

Some things you can correct or maybe improve in a way that you and one you will know that it there.

As far as the chips, well it's up to you, you can use touch up paint or live with it or make the investment and paint the hole part.

It's really up to you but I think in some situations we just have to live with things and let it be.

Comment

ok, I was messing with the rims earlier today and found out that what is on the rims is caked on brake dust and not pilling paint or anything else of that matter.

So now I am going to work on getting the cake dust off of the rims... I have no clue how long it was on there but I know it's not going to come off easy.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');