• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Diego Shelby Club - Pictures & Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego Shelby Club - Pictures & Comments

San Diego Shelby Club - Pictures & Comments
    Meguiar's Detailing 101
    Saturday March 29th, 2008

Should be another great class at Meguiar's! See you all in the morning!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: San Diego Shelby Club - Pictures & Comments

Another awesome club we had the pleasure of hosting at Meguiar's Garage!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

It was a sunny day with a great group of serious car enthusiasts from San Diego! Here's some pics from the day, a big thank you to Mary Ann for action as our staff photographer...

We chose this 1969 Ford Cougar Convertible which has a newer paint job but whoever buffed it out left rotary buffer swirls in the paint and by the time we worked on it there was a lot of accumulated bonded contaminants, (see the picture of the clay below), all over the paint, to the point that the paint felt like a piece of #40 Grit Sandpaper!

Claying the paint...

This could be some kind of paint overspray that landed on the new paint job after it was painted by while it was still at the body shop, it could also be some kind of overspray or industrial fallout/pollution that fell on the car wherever it is normally parked.

Above surface bonded contaminants come from what's in the air where you normally park the car.

Happy people having fun at Meguiar's!

Behold the power of the hand!

Applying ScratchX by hand

Checking the results using a Swirl Finder Light

Next up, we applied a pure polish...

After that we applied NXT Tech Wax 2.0

After the hand techniques portion we centered a W-8006 Polishing Pad on the Backing Plate

Then set the variable speed setting to the 5.0 setting for removing swirls

We applied a strip of product to the face of the pad

When you turn the polisher on, the first thing you do is spread the product out over the area you're going to work.

Inspecting the results after one pass of M80 Speed Glaze

Time for some hands-on training...

Lou crosses his fingers as he lets his buddy buff on his Cougar!

Next up, our Photographer for the day, Mary Ann
      She's going to show all these big strong guys how it's done!

Doing my best Vanna White...

A little hands-on training decreases the learning curve...

We talked about taping off trim and also things like the vents in front of the windshield. We pointed out the product splatter stuck inside the vents where the "other guy" that buffed out Lou's Cougar splattered because he didn't tape or cover this area off.

We also talked about vinyl roof care and how to cover a convertible top so you don't get splatter on it.

Here's Lou "Cleaning the pad on the fly"

A little hand-son guidance...

While Lou uses the G110, we use the invisible G110 to talk about downward pressure and pad rotation...

Then we have Lou push the polisher down on the top of our hand to show how safe the tool is.

Time to apply some NXT Tech Wax with a W-9006 Finishing Pad - For applying wax we use the 3.0 speed setting.

So easy to use when applying wax...

Anytime you have painter's tape on the paint, remove it by pulling it off at an angle, not straight up.

Paint's looking real smooth, clear and glossy now... The metallic flakes are starting to really *pop*

Wiping NXT Tech Wax 2.0 off by hand after the Swipe Test indicated the wax was dried.

Now were placing a microfiber bonnet over our W-7006 Cutting pad to remove wax my machine. Note while you can use our cutting pad to remove wax, at this time Meguiar's doesn't recommend applying chemicals using our W-7006 cutting pad as the foam formula for this cutting pad is aggressive enough it can haze the paint when used with a DA Polisher.

To remove wax by machine, set the variable speed dial on the 5.0 setting

Time to check out the results!

It was very obvious to everyone that machine cleaning and polishing always gives you the best show car results as compared to working only by hand. We didn't get any "after" pictures, maybe someone else snagged some and will post them.

And a GREAT time was had by all!

Thanks everyone for driving up to Meguiar's from San Diego and spending you're entire Saturday with Meguiar's!

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Have to say these detailing classes look great. Maybe if I ever visit the US I'll stop by.

Comment

Hi Mike, great class! I feel confident I could come close to a show finish if I follow your instructions and recommendations - I even feel I know how to "clay" a car - wow, what a difference your class makes in my confidence to really get that show car finish. Hope to see you again soon. Regards, Mike

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');