• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#54 Gel Wash on Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #54 Gel Wash on Car

Hi everyone,

I have heard the general rule of thumb to be, products designed for marine use should not be used on automobile but you can use automobile designed products on marine but may not get the best results.

I found a really good price on Gel Wash #54 and want to use it on my cars. I know the safe official answer from Meg's is we don't recommend, but can anyone really see any harm in using the wash gel on the surface? The contact time with the surface isn't that long.

I was thinking since the products aren't really tested with each other, for example - NXT Wax 2.0 with Gel Wash #54 it will difficult to answer.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: #54 Gel Wash on Car

Hey Scott,

Really not sure about this.....But, I think as a general rule of thumb is to use automotive products for cars and marine products for boats. The finish is definitely different between the two. Using the right product for the right purpose with proper technique will give you the results you are looking for. In a nutshell, I wouldn't use the #54 on an automotive finish.

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Hi:

Really hard to say. A car wash soap and this product (54) have to deal with very different surface conditions. Probably a number of active ingredients in 54 that are really not needed when you wash a car, for example removing salt water spray.

Car wash soap is not that expensive so I would just stick with it, at least that is what I would do.

Regards,

KTruck
      Last edited by KTruck; Mar 29, 2008, 09:58 AM.
      Make it Shine

Comment

I am with the above posts... Meguiars has a very good selecction of automotive car wash soaps that are not all that expensive and work very well.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
          I am with the above posts... Meguiars has a very good selecction of automotive car wash soaps that are not all that expensive and work very well.
          Is it worth taking the chance of doing harm to your paint? I would not try it.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Is it worth it? Well as much as I wash cars and with the price of fuel, yeah its worth making an informed decision. That is why I am seeking advice/knowledge. I was hoping maybe someone with past experience would chime in.

If you study both MSDS from Meguiars (#54 and Gold Class Car Shampoo), it's actually interesting because they both state for Car Shampoo, and both contain the same exact "Hazardous Ingredients". As a matter of fact both state the color as "Gold" which is wrong. #54 is red.

Plus it's discussion and thats what the forum is about.

Thanks everyone,
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottyshine View Post
              Is it worth it? Well as much as I wash cars and with the price of fuel, yeah its worth making an informed decision. That is why I am seeking advice/knowledge. I was hoping maybe someone with past experience would chime in.

If you study both MSDS from Meguiars (#54 and Gold Class Car Shampoo), it's actually interesting because they both state for Car Shampoo, and both contain the same exact "Hazardous Ingredients". As a matter of fact both state the color as "Gold" which is wrong. #54 is red.

Plus it's discussion and thats what the forum is about.

Thanks everyone,
              Scott
              FWIW the MSDS sheets show a very limited amount of info and are not going to show the exact make up of a product... that said. Its more than likely not going to hurt your vehicle, as mentioned above (by 101impala) a general rule of thumb is to stick with products for the appropriate surfaces being cleaned.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');