• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to use my orbital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to use my orbital

I recently posted about receiving an orbital (which I didn't even know was an orbital - thinking it was a rotary buffer).

What I haven't figured out is when is the best time to use it?

Should I use it to PUT ON polish or TAKE it off? I'm not going to use it for removing swirls (I don't think orbitals do that), but I really am confused as to how I should use it?

I bought both 100% cotton terry bonnets and and microfiber bonnets but both seem to "flop around" when I put them on and turn it on full speed. Any advice would be appreciated.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: When to use my orbital

You can use a DA for polishing and removing light swirls and scratches as well as apply and removing wax. For more severe oxidation and scratches/ swirls you will need a rotary but a DA can still be used to remove some the of the lighter paint defects. You might want to get some foam applicators as well for your DA and some of them do tend to flop around if the bonnet does not fully fit correctly but the flopping will stop the second it touches a car. Also you can work in the polish with the orbital but dont try to remove it the same way because you will just work it dry and wind up with swirls. I use a microfiber towel to remove a polish after it has been worked in
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Comment

Originally posted by Derrickg32069 View Post

You can use a DA for polishing and removing light swirls and scratches as well as apply and removing wax.
      The polisher he has is what we refer to as a
      traditional Orbital Buffer and they are not very effective at removing swirls and scratches out of clear coat finishes.

What you can use it for is to apply a polish or a wax, and in the case of the wax, after it has dried you can use the polisher with a clean, dry bonnet to remove wax just be sure to apply a thin coting to start with.

This is the type of polisher he has...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's something to look through:

Chris
        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          The polisher he has is what we refer to as a
          traditional Orbital Buffer and they are not very effective at removing swirls and scratches out of clear coat finishes.

What you can use it for is to apply a polish or a wax, and in the case of the wax, after it has dried you can use the polisher with a clean, dry bonnet to remove wax just be sure to apply a thin coting to start with.

This is the type of polisher he has...

before i got into Rotary and all the mirror glaze products i had that exact craftsman orbital, with a wool bonnet i had some pretty good resutls in taking out mild swirl marks with ScratchX. i would have to finish off with a foam bonnet to take out the little marks made by the wool but it turned out pretty good.
          ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
          210-281-8151

Comment

Originally posted by Derrickg32069 View Post
            before i got into Rotary and all the mirror glaze products i had that exact craftsman orbital, with a wool bonnet i had some pretty good results in taking out mild swirl marks with ScratchX.
            With a wool bonnet, they can remove swirls, but just not as effectively or as fast as either the DA Polisher or the Rotary Buffer. Paint Type and a person's technique are also key factors as to whether you can successfully remove swirls and scratches read as remove small particles of paint.

Most people that come to this forum with one of these tools have higher expectations for the "Traditional Orbital Polisher" than they are capable of doing when working on clear coat paints.

Single stage paints are something very different and usually softer type of paint material and easier to remove scratches out of no matter how you're applying your products, that is except for single stage white paints.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              With a wool bonnet, they can remove swirls, but just not as effectively or as fast as either the DA Polisher or the Rotary Buffer. Paint Type and a person's technique are also key factors as to whether you can successfully remove swirls and scratches read as remove small particles of paint.

Most people that come to this forum with one of these tools have higher expectations for the "Traditional Orbital Polisher" than they are capable of doing when working on clear coat paints.

Single stage paints are something very different and usually softer type of paint material and easier to remove scratches out of no matter how you're applying your products, that is except for single stage white paints.

hey Mike quick question, what is the difference in a traditional buffer and a DA i thought they were pretty much the same?
              210-281-8151

Comment

We generically refer to the small DA Polisher like the one we sold made by Porter Cable for years, our new G110, G220 and the UDM as DA Polishers and we generically refer to the old school style "large" orbital polishers as

Traditional Orbital Buffers or Traditional Orbital Polishers

They have the same type of movement, but these two groups are very different in their abilities.

Open to suggestions for better naming protocols.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Another question though...

Is it normal that such a buffer does not spin in an exact circle, hence "orbital"?

Also, what about the "flopping around" of the bonnets I purchased? They are the correct size, yet at full speed the almost pull loose. Is that normal?

Comment

Porscheguy,

Thanks for the article. Very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post

Is it normal that such a buffer does not spin in an exact circle, hence "orbital"?

Also, what about the "flopping around" of the bonnets I purchased? They are the correct size, yet at full speed the almost pull loose. Is that normal?
                      Yes to the first question.

Doesn't sound right for the second question, maybe the bonnets are a tad to large? Or not secured as tight as they can be?

Don't use them enough to be an expert on them.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

It is a 9 inch orbital and I bought 9-10 inch bonnets which sit tightly on the plate until I spin it full speed.

If I put it on something (like my hand) which slows the buffer down, the bonnet sits properly.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post

Well i still have one like the one in the pic that Mike put up and the bonnets flop around if i turn it on and just let it spin freely. once you start using it on the car the flopping should stop and if it doesnt then the problem may be something else then what im thinking about.
                          210-281-8151

Comment

^^^ That is what I thought would happen. Okay, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Comment

In the normal course of using one of these tools, you NOT supposed to turn them on until the face of the bonnet is in direct contact with the paint.

If you turn the thing on while holding it in the open air, don't be surprised if the bonnet is flopping around as there's nothing holding it against the face of the inner pad and the physics of inertia explains why the bonnet is flopping around.

You're not supposed to turn it on unless it's being held against the paint.

Hope that makes sense...

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');