• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you find in a field for $1500 Alex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you find in a field for $1500 Alex

Found this beauty in a field last year, talked to the owner today and drove it home. She needs a little help. It will need a new paint job after the door repair, the hood needs it anyway. So I'm thinking, what better way to learn what's possible and how to use my new DA. I think this falls under EXTREME make-over, but it's not done yet so I posted here.

Other than what I have on hand (last pic) any other suggestions?

Does anyone know the best way to revive the fiberglass on the rear cover?

I see some shine under the moss, do you think it really has a chance?

Thanks for the help, pics below.

Thanks for looking,

Brock
    Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Re: Things you find in a field for $1500 Alex

I resized your photos so we can better appreciate the task ahead of you.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Obviously a really good washing is in order. Get it washed up and post pictures so that we can actually see the finish. Right now all I see is green! You have to uncover the paint in order to evaluate the finish. Then you will be better suited to plan your method of madness. Looks like a fun project if you ask me!! That Bronco has the potential to become the star of the Extreme Makeover forum.
      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Is $1500 a good deal for that? What year is it?

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
          Obviously a really good washing is in order. Get it washed up and post pictures so that we can actually see the finish. Right now all I see is green! You have to uncover the paint in order to evaluate the finish. Then you will be better suited to plan your method of madness. Looks like a fun project if you ask me!! That Bronco has the potential to become the star of the Extreme Makeover forum.
          That's what I was thinking, what better way to learn. Everything else has to be easier than this.

Sorry about the pics, thought I had those right. Did you just right click the photo and copy the URL from the properties?
          I thought I copied the URl from the full size pic in the gallery. Thanks for the Upsize.

I'll get her hosed off and clean this week, then attack!

Thanks,

Brock
          Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
            Is $1500 a good deal for that? What year is it?

It's a 1991 Silver Anniversary Edition. All leather, all power, rear locker, Hd tranny, over size (40 gallon) tank. It's an EFI 302, a 351 would have been nice, but with gas prices, I'll take the 302. Mechanically it's a rock, started on the first crank. The old guy started it every week and had his son change the oil a month ago. I Dyno'd it this afternoon and everything is right. High Blue Book is around $3850, low is around $2250. A door is going to cost me $250, the one on it works fine, just ugly. No idea what I'll do with paint. Maybe I'll Line-X the whole thing and use it for a fishing rig and rock crawler. The removable hard top is a nice feature too.

Thanks,

Brock

Comment

Looks like a fun project, nothing like bringing back oxidized red! Too bad the guy didn't hose it off once a month along with the starting it once a week. Still sounds like a lot of money for a 17-yo truck, unless the anniversary edition makes it worth more.

Comment

Good luck with the paint restoration.

This would be a good vehicle to use some Detailer Body Solvent. Hopefully, that would remove some of the grime. If not, a clay bar would fill up quick!
                Chris
                Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                  Good luck with the paint restoration.

This would be a good vehicle to use some Detailer Body Solvent. Hopefully, that would remove some of the grime. If not, a clay bar would fill up quick!

I did a quick search for the body solvent. It says it's for removing petroleum based junk. This is purely organic. Not sure if it would work.

Tomorrow I'll see what Deep Crystal car wash will do, then go from there.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Brock

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGypsy View Post
                    I'll see what Deep Crystal car wash will do, then go from there.
                    Mix it up extra strong, that gunk isn't going to want to come off.

Comment

I am going to register for this thread and see where this goes. Keep us updated on the upcoming details

Comment

Wash it and see what comes off.

You never know if a product will work until you try it. It would be easy to reccommend a degreaser of sorts, but those could damage the paint. Body Solvent is safe, yet it still works.
                        Chris
                        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Congrats, looks like a great project. I would probably take it to your local power wash. Just to blast of the green from sitting there for so long. Then bring it home and start the process of "meguiarising" it. Good luck. Cant wait to see your progress.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

You may be better off using a wash brush instead of a mitt for the first go around, maybe even the second.

Comment

Some people have had good success with Mr. Clean Eraser. Might want to try a tiny spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');