• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you find in a field for $1500 Alex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things you find in a field for $1500 Alex

Originally posted by ronniejay View Post
    Some people have had good success with Mr. Clean Eraser. Might want to try a tiny spot.
    On that Bronco, I'm gonna have to say no. Especially until anyone actually sees what is under all that grime.

Comment

Looks like fun... looking forward to see what it looks like washed. What condition is the interior in? Pics?

Setec, if it's mechanically solid and the interior is in great shape I would think it's a pretty good buy.

Comment

Update on the Bronco

A lot of the green came off with a good rinse, then I soaped her up to see what's beneath.

Not bad after a rinse.

Dried her off and it looks like she might make it.

What do you think?

Brock
        Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Wow, not bad! That is primer I'm seeing in the hood crease? And it was rust on the front edge in the original pics?

Comment

The pic posting is baffling me. After the soak, wash and rinse I used some #7 (try the least abrasive first right??) under the emblem to see what I could bring out. It shined up nicely. It appears to be a single stage paint, even the #7 removed a lot of red.

That's the shine it brought out.

This is the MF I used to apply the #7

This is the MF I used to apply the #26 on top of the #7. HEY, why didn't anyone tell me #27 smells like Bananas?????

I felt like I was in the Caribbean sipping Pina Coladas..........No wonder everyone loves this stuff.....Meguiars needs to include a Palm Tree in the package, then it would be PERFECT!!

Tomorrow the pressure washer is coming out and I'll attach the old growth on the rest of it. The Deep Crystal car wash works great, but I went through 4 mitts to do one side of the truck. It will be easier to blast the old growth off, then wash it.

Any suggestions on how to polish this paint would be great, there is orange peel, but no swirls that I can see. Some fine scratches, but they are all linear like he drove through some berry bushes or something. I'll get better pics when the sun is out. To overcast to see much today.
            Thanks

Brock
            Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
              Wow, not bad! That is primer I'm seeing in the hood crease? And it was rust on the front edge in the original pics?

Yes, that is primer and I found a couple of spots that are close to bare metal, but no rust so far. The stuff that looks like rust is either Lichen or Moss. There are some interesting 'growths' on her. I was anticipating a new paint job already, so none of the defects bother me. I crawled under it today and couldn't find any rust underneath either.

I think you asked about the interior yesterday, it needs to be cleaned (badly). The carpet is in good shape throughout, no cracks in the dash or door panels. I'll need to clean up the stereo install and recover the seats (I have neoprene in both of my trucks, the northwest is not a good place for cloth or leather) but that's about the end of it. Clean and straighten.

The odd looking thing on the left side of the 2nd pic is a spider web.....I'll get that with the vac, I hate spiders.

Brock

Comment

You may get it cleaner faster using a cleaner. M07 is a pure polish. It has no cleaners/diminishing abrasives in it at all. Try using something like M80 or M09 for faster cleaning results. After using a cleaner, I would definitely use M07, it will make that red glow!

It is looking better though, keep up the good work!!!

Comment

Careful with that pressure washer, if you've already got paint flaking off down to the primer...too close with the PW and you might have a gray truck

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                    You may get it cleaner faster using a cleaner. M07 is a pure polish. It has no cleaners/diminishing abrasives in it at all. Try using something like M80 or M09 for faster cleaning results. After using a cleaner, I would definitely use M07, it will make that red glow!

It is looking better though, keep up the good work!!!

I hear you Tyler, I'm just a little afraid to hit it too hard after #7 and #26 applicators came back red. I don't know if oxidation will appear the same as paint color or if I have very soft single stage paint. This is the first paint I've touched that comes off like that.

On a side note, you seem to be the resident 'Stang expert. I have a friend that wants to sell his 'Stallion' (painted in gold on the hood). I understand it's a Roush motor. I've driven it and it is wicked fast. Ugly paint, not in bad shape, just ugly. It's a medium green with Gold stripes. It's a convertible/all leather and I have a soft spot for a nice drop-top. Do you know anything about the 'Stallion'?

Brock

Comment

If it is SS paint, any oxidation will be the color of the paint. Oxidation is essentially dead paint, and in this case it is red. So when you are cleaning and removing the dead paint, it should be red if it is SS, which is what it looks like. If you are unsure, you can even use the mildest cleaner available, Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. It won't remove as many swirls as other cleaners, but on SS paint, I never notice them anyways when I'm all done. It will clean the paint though, gently.

As for the "Stallion," there are only two Mustangs ever named that from the factory/tuner. One is the 70's Stallions, and the other is the 2007? Chip Foose Stallion. There was a Mustang Super Stallion, but I don't believe that was ever actually produced, it was just a show car. From the sounds of it, he or whoever had the car before him added that. As for the Roush motor, is it from a newer Roush Mustang, or is it one of their crate engines? If it is a crate engine, that engine is (was) probably worth at least twice what the car is. The only way for me to tell for sure would be to see a picture of the car and the engine.

Comment

Thanks Tyler, I know it's newer '05+. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post them. My evil alter-ego just said something about stuffing a Roush motor in the Bronco................. . I try to ignore him when I can.........

Thanks,

Brock

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGypsy View Post
                          Thanks Tyler, I know it's newer '05+. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post them. My evil alter-ego just said something about stuffing a Roush motor in the Bronco................. . I try to ignore him when I can.........

Thanks,

Brock
                          I'd be interested in seeing them! As for the Roush motor, the cheapest Roush crate engine runs about $11,000. Although, that would be one of the fastest Broncos around!!! Roush is coming out with a 5.3 Mod Motor, I'd absolutely LOVE to get my hands on one of those!!! They haven't released any specs on it, but I can almost guarantee that thing would make a Mustang MOVE!

Comment

BTW, the title of this thread has to be one of the best ever!

Comment

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
                              Step 1 Wash
                              Step 2 Clean
                              Step 3 Polish
                              Step 4 Protect
                              Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

#83 will be the stongest product to use by PC, but keep in mind it is still very mild compared to the old rubbing compounds. So you should be able to get a lot of practice in with #80 and #83, and really it might not run out bad on the parts where there is still paint. Dont take the machine anywhere near the rust bubbles/peeling of course, dont want to get that in a pad.
                              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

#7 Show Car Glaze

#2 Fine Cut Cleaner

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0

#84 Compound Power Cleaner

#34 Final inspection

I know I need to get a clay bar, I'd like to find some #21 locally. Other than that I have no idea what I need. Thus I was looking for a comprehensive list of 'every' product definition/use/application, so I can create a list and git 'er done.

I've been looking and I'm not finding much on the clear plastic restorers either. Specifically #10 and #17.

#7 is a pure polish. No cleaning ability, other than the material you are applying with. So it just adds polishing oils to the paint.

#2 is a mild cleaner, and the newer versions can be used by PC. However, #80 ( a mild cleaner/polish) would likely be a better choice.

#9 and #82 are very mild cleaner polishes. So a very mild cleaning ability, but based on the pics, I imagine you at least need #80 to start with. So these would be kind of optional after.

#84 is for rotary use, I think you only have a PC at the moment? Obviously it is a stronger cleaner.

#34 can be a clay lube or used for removing light dust, etc.

Yeah, there isnt a lot on the plastic products. You would likely find more on PlastX, whic his a good product.
                                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');