• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used those $30 random-orbital buffers they sell at auto-parts stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used those $30 random-orbital buffers they sell at auto-parts stores?

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in, but I wasn't sure where it belonged.

When I'm in the auto section at Walmart, or at any auto-parts-type store, I always see those circular random-orbit buffers on the shelf that vary between $20 and $40. I've been seriously considering trying one out, as I don't have the $100+ to spend on a G100 like I eventually want to.

So I'm basically asking if there's any chance I could ruin my paint with one of these, or if any of you have tried one of these cheap-o buffers/polishers. I'd be sure to test it out on my '88 MR2 or my girlfriend's Accord before it touched my Mustangs paint, no matter what.

Let me know!
    --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Re: Has anyone used those $30 random-orbital buffers they sell at auto-parts stores?

If you want to use it to apply wax to the paint as in spread out a coating of wax onto the paint, not remove swirls out of the paint, then it should work pretty good.

Here's a related thread, give it a read through...

Was given a buffer/polisher...

If you want to remove swirls out of a clear coat finish, that means you want to remove a little paint and for the most part they are not very effective at this.

You can always buy the polisher and try, and maybe it will work on the paint on your car as all paint systems can react a little different to the cleaning step.

"You never know what you can do until you try"

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Has anyone used those $30 random-orbital buffers they sell at auto-parts stores?

Mike and i discused this in a thread earleir today and like he said it is difficult to remove light swirls and scratches with one of these but it is possible. It really just depends on you and the paint. I had success with it using a wool pad and scratchX in the past and then hit it again with a foam pad. Well its either that or by hand if you cant afford a good DA so it woulnt hurt to try.
      ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
      Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
      210-281-8151

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I planned on using it to remove light swirls by using Scratch X, since it's what I had in the garage lol. I guess it's worth a shot, it doesn't sound like I can possibly mess anything up according to that thread.
        --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

A little something to glance over:

I will say this: don't spend a lot on an orbital.

Orbitals help to save time, but they don't come close to a PC as far as defect removal.
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
            A little something to glance over:

I will say this: don't spend a lot on an orbital.

Orbitals help to save time, but they don't come close to a PC as far as defect removal.
            That's an awesome thread man, thanks for posting that link.

This is why I love this forum so much.

Comment

New question, can ColorX be used with one of these random orbitals?

Comment

ColorX will be fine with an orbital.
                Chris
                Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

If you are going to buy an orbital you may as well get a name brand--Home Depot.com has a Ryobi for $19.95 with free shipping. Some of the HDs stock it though. It has a case, two bonnets and is 4,800 opm.

Comment

Thank for the help you guys, pwaug I like the look of that Home Depot Ryobi one but none of my local stores have it and I'd rather just be able to go to a store and buy it then have to wait for shipping.

I went to the local AutoZone today and found this one,

Shinn Fu Company of America, Inc. (SFA) performs its functions in marketing, sales, service and distributing products throughout North, Central and South America. Over the past 40 years, SFA has become the leading distributor of hydraulic lift equipment in the US and Canada, which reflects a widely recognized reputation for quality and service.

They had it in both 6" (for $20) and 10" for ($25).... do you guys think this would be okay to use for ScratchX/polishing/waxing? And which size should I get?

They also came with two bonnets each, one wool and one terry I believe, but which kind should I use? I'd need one for Scratch X, one for Color X, one for my Deep Crystal Polish, and maybe 1-2 different ones for the waxes I have. I assume either terry or microfiber would work? I've heard wool is too harsh, no?

And I would just use this machine to apply the product right? I'd still remove by hand or what?

I know this is sounding like 24 questions I just really don't want to mess this up. But if this will allow me to detail cars a bit quicker than normally doing things by hand, for $25 I'd say its worth it hehe. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
                      ... But if this will allow me to detail cars a bit quicker than normally doing things by hand, for $25 I'd say its worth it ....
                      Don’t bet the farm on it until you've actually used it.

I’ve certainly tried buffers that were less effective than just working by hand.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                        Don’t bet the farm on it until you've actually used it.

I’ve certainly tried buffers that were less effective than just working by hand.

PC.
                        haha good point, have you used anything like this that was actually decent though? I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

I’ve tried a couple that were totally useless junk. Actually, they were worse than useless. And I’ve tried one or two that were decently built but not effective enough to be worth the trouble.

Sears has a 6” buffer that appears to have more power than the usual junk. I haven’t actually tried using one though.

Definitely read Chris's keys to the orbital.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                            I’ve tried a couple that were totally useless junk. Actually, they were worse than useless. And I’ve tried one or two that were decently built but not effective enough to be worth the trouble.

Sears has a 6” buffer that appears to have more power than the usual junk. I haven’t actually tried using one though.

Definitely read Chris's keys to the orbital.

PC.
                            I have actually ditched my PC for an orbital that costs $50. It has more power and more OPM....It is a bitter easier to use than the PC as well.
                            Patrick Yu
                            2003 Honda Accord
                            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek View Post
                              I have actually ditched my PC for an orbital that costs $50. It has more power and more OPM....It is a bitter easier to use than the PC as well.
                              Got the brand/model/specs on the one you're using? And where did you buy it?

Or you could always sell me your PC for $50.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');