• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardwood floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwood floors

Ok, I know this is probably going to be a long shot, but seeing as how Meguiars originally started out as a furniture polish company, maybe there's still something I can use...

We've got some hardwood flooring that has some waxy buildup on the floors, and we're trying to find something that we can do to strip it off without sanding the wood. We're hoping for something that'll just clean it; we've tried mop n' Glo and some other Laminex cleaner for wood floors (I think it was meant for Pergo style laminated flooring, while this is real wood) but it just made the floor look even worse.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Hardwood floors

Have you tried Murphys Oil Soap?

Andy
    101impala
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Meguiars still makes their lemon cleaner I believe, whatever it is called. Dont know how much you would have to buy.

I have also enjoyed some of the Method cleaning products, and they make a wood floor cleaner.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'll have to give the Murphy's a shot...We're trying to deal with housebreaking a new puppy as well as trying to keep the floor clean, so add dog urine into the mix on a hardwood floor. I feel like we're fighting a losing battle.

I'll have to give that a shot, though; I just know that I'm not happy with what we've tried recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprzout View Post
          I'll have to give the Murphy's a shot...We're trying to deal with housebreaking a new puppy as well as trying to keep the floor clean, so add dog urine into the mix on a hardwood floor. I feel like we're fighting a losing battle.

I'll have to give that a shot, though; I just know that I'm not happy with what we've tried recently.

If it is a professionally installed floor it should have a sealer coat on it. As long as the puppy urine doesn't sit too long it shouldn't get to the wood. So you got that goin' for ya.

Now about the floor. Have you waxed it or are you assuming the build up is wax?

If you can post a pic I'm sure I can tell you how to clean it without refinishing the floor.

Brock
          Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Well, it was installed by my father, so no sealer coat, per se; it's one of those interlocking wood floors. It's KIND of like Pergo, except that it's real wood, not a composite with laminate across the top. Each piece was sealed with something like a polyurethane sealant, and it's got a nice shine to it, except when the floor cleaner's used.

I'll have to get some pictures of the floor tonight when I get home and post them, so that you can see what I'm talking about. It's almost like a haze on the wood, like when you've got old wax on a wood coffee table/dinner table. I'm almost tempted to bust out the PC with a clean polishing pad & try it on a corner of the wood on setting 2-3, just to see if it looks better with just a little bit of polishing.

We tried some Armstrong Pattern-Plus Shine on the floor, and that made it seem like it was a dull waxy coating over the entire floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprzout View Post
              Well, it was installed by my father, so no sealer coat, per se; it's one of those interlocking wood floors. It's KIND of like Pergo, except that it's real wood, not a composite with laminate across the top. Each piece was sealed with something like a polyurethane sealant, and it's got a nice shine to it, except when the floor cleaner's used.

I'll have to get some pictures of the floor tonight when I get home and post them, so that you can see what I'm talking about. It's almost like a haze on the wood, like when you've got old wax on a wood coffee table/dinner table. I'm almost tempted to bust out the PC with a clean polishing pad & try it on a corner of the wood on setting 2-3, just to see if it looks better with just a little bit of polishing.

We tried some Armstrong Pattern-Plus Shine on the floor, and that made it seem like it was a dull waxy coating over the entire floor.

I know what your talking about. It is a Poly coat on it. Depending how new, some of the manufactures (Bruce/Armstong I know for sure) are using an aluminum oxide in the coating as well to improve wear. If you can find out the manufacture, they recommend specific cleaners for their floors. Usually something you would not expect. Pergo for example actual recommends using mineral spirits to remove stains!

The haze you are seeing is probably residue from the cleaner. It should come off with a mild soap and water mopping.

You aren't far off with your idea to pull out the PC. Poly will respond very similar to clear coat to anything you apply to it.

If you get some pics posted I can give you a better idea. But knowing what it is now I can safely say, treat it like your paint and it will shine like your paint.
              Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Oh and I forgot to say, the only non-manufacture recommended wax I've seen work on these floors is Future.

Comment

If you can't find the answers here try DIY forum. It also sounds like you might be loosing you clear coat. If you try to refinish any area do a test spot first,LOL
                  There are basically 2 types of finishes oil based and water based.Oil based will turn yellow or darker with time while water based will remain same. Then you have high gloss, gloss and satin finish.Good luck.

Comment

This was DUMB! who the heck dug this post out ? It's from 2008! LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');