• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel wax/protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel wax/protection

I went through Meg's list of products and I don't see any specific wax/protectant for wheels. I'm thinking about painting my calipers and while I was at it I was going to really get the wheels (from the inside) and wanted to wax them.

Now, it might just be that Meg's regular wax, like NXT would do the job but I wanted to know if there was something specific for the wheels (because of all the brake dust and crud).
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: Wheel wax/protection

A normal wax would work.
    I would look into the waxes the last longer, #21 2.0 or NXT 2.0 and it should protect them well.

Comment

yalerd said it all. After a good cleaning and removing all the brake dust and road grime, any quality Meguiars wax will work well at protecting the wheels and hence in the future make them a lot easier to clean.

Hope this helps

Andy
      101impala
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
        Hoe this helps
        Well, "Hoe" helps a lot, but what does she have to do with my wheels?

Comment

^^shes the one payin for em!

Comment

I always wax my rims. I use #21 v1.0. It makes future cleanups alot easier imo. Try it.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

people tell me the same^^^ just havent had the time to take my wheels off and do a job on em.

Comment

I just got some wheel sealant in the mail, and am heading out to try it!

Comment

wheel wax
                  Last edited by Nick O; Apr 2, 2008, 04:00 PM. Reason: wrong link
                  Slick Nick's Auto Detailing

Comment

I've cleaned my wheels off with All Wheel Cleaner, wiped them down with an old MF towel, sprayed Quik Wheel Detailer to get any remaining dirt that the cleaner may not have gotten, and then put a little #26 on a terry cloth & applied it to the blades of my wheels. Buffed it out using a terry cloth towel, and then use the Quik Wheel Detailer to maintain the clean look on the wheels. It works pretty good!

Comment

Nick,

I was aware of "wheel wax" and poor boys also makes a product "specifically" for wheels, but the reason why I posted the question here is because I feel like I get honest answers here.

I'm very skeptical about marketing and anyone can really say anything about a product. I mean, I could put a label on hair gel and call it "super duper wheel wax", but it doesn't make it so. Sure, "wheel wax" sounds great, but what properties, if any, make it different from a regular wax (like NXT)? Does it have different properties for adhering to aluminum or repelling brake dust in a special way?

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, hence my question. Have you used it and if so, did you notice a significant difference over another wax?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Here is a quick review of the wheel sealant I bought for the product maker:
                        First off, a little goes a long way. I hardly used any to do all 4 wheels. It applied real smooth and easily. I was surprised that the applicator pad got a little brown looking, considering I just washed the wheels! I let the Wheels Seal sit for about 10 minutes or so. I went back with a dedicated MF towel and the Wheel Seal removed just as easy as it went on with no smearing or smudging! The wheels look the darkest, deepest, wettest looking I have ever seen them! In all honesty, they look better than the paint now!
                        I was curious and asked the same thing about it: "The Wheel Seal is actually an acrylic sealant. The Wheel Seal is designed for the high heat of wheels and the durability is around 2-3 months. Brake dust will also come off with ease." Note: The acrylic sealant part is specific to this product I used. It isn't classified as a wax product.

So far, it is everything that has been described. I tried NXT on my wheels, but once the brake dust got on there and sat for a bit, I found no trace of it left whatsoever.

I figured since I get a discount on O.D. products, I would give it a shot. I actually can't wait to drive it and get it dirty to see how it does. I know many, many others that have used this same product and have heard nothing but praises for it. It is going to be one of the few non-Meguiar's products I use. I certainly have a need for something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                          Nick,

I was aware of "wheel wax" and poor boys also makes a product "specifically" for wheels, but the reason why I posted the question here is because I feel like I get honest answers here.

I'm very skeptical about marketing and anyone can really say anything about a product. I mean, I could put a label on hair gel and call it "super duper wheel wax", but it doesn't make it so. Sure, "wheel wax" sounds great, but what properties, if any, make it different from a regular wax (like NXT)? Does it have different properties for adhering to aluminum or repelling brake dust in a special way?

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, hence my question. Have you used it and if so, did you notice a significant difference over another wax?

Thanks in advance.
                          I haven't used it YET, i ordered it a couple days ago from detail king.

I'm curious to see how it performs.

I will post some pics(before and after application of wax)

then i will see how they wash up after a couple days of city driving

I have a 2004 Ford Expedition, so i experience major brake dust!!
                          Slick Nick's Auto Detailing

Comment

Nick, I await your thoughts on the Wheel Wax. I am curious as well to see how it performs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies to both of you.

Nick, definitely let us know what you find.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');