• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Follow-up to #83

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-up to #83

What's the best follow-up to #83 DACP?

I cleaned my Vette last evening, and noticed that a dirty waterspot (which I regretably left on my car for nearly a week) had etched the clearcoat a little.

Not wanting to leave the etching in the paint, I broke out my products. I've read over and over to use "the least agressive method first", so I tried the SMR that I had (It happened to be the 3M SMR) with the PC and a yellow MEG's pad on 3 setting. The SMR had little effect on the etching. So, I broke out my next most aggressive polish, #83 and the only other pad I had available to use with the DACP, a yellow CMA cutting pad. I used this at 5 setting and this worked quite well on the etching. It's still there, but VERY hard to see.

I followed the #83 with the SMR again.

Once I finished, it looked pretty good, but there was still some very slight marring (I think that's the right term) left. I suspect, I need something a little less coarse than the #83 to really take the shine to the level I want.

What would be the suggested next step? Should I get a polishing pad and use the #83 again, or should I get some #82, #81, or #80 and use a polishing pad?

What is the primary difference between the #80, #81 and #82??

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by 6SpeedBowtie; Aug 17, 2004, 05:58 AM.

what color is your vette? on my black truck, when I step down from #83, down to #82, I find that I have to use a finishing pad with the smr other wise I get micro marring. hope this helps.
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Comment

My Vette is LeMans Blue Metallic (think Pepsi Can Blue). Just a hair darker than the Electron Blue.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!!

Your question was just recently asked in another forum and can be seen here:

However, just to add, part of the hazziness could be caused by a couple of factors. One, you did not mention what color your Vette is. I am guessing that it is a darker color. Therefore, part of the hazziness could be caused by either not breaking down the #83 DACP far enough (it will take any where from 3 - 6 minutes for a 2'x2' panel when using a PC set to speed 5). The other part is that with a dark color, I have found that you should follow the #83 with a less aggressive product like #82 Swirl Free Polish or #80 Speed Glaze. This will remove any hazziness left behind by the #83.

Secondly, the other part of the equation may be the cutting pad when used with a PC. Although I do not know how similar they may be, Meguiar's does not recommend using their W-7006 Cutting pad with a PC. The results can be a dulled down finish that looks good overall but lacks depth.

In your situation, I suggest using a clean W-8006 Polishing Pad and #83 DACP and go over the entire finish again. I would follow this with #82 Swirl Free Polish with a W-9006 Finishing Pad. With the #82, you must work it in thoroughly (PC speed at 4) but remove while still damp.

Next, apply a coat of #81 Hand Polish. No need to work it in, just apply to a panel and remove.

Finally, top with 2 coats of NXT Tech Wax.

As for the differences between the #80, #81, and #82, there are many. Meg's #80 Speed Glaze is the most aggressive of the three. It contains a cleaner, polish (TS Oils) and a paintable polymer.

Meg's #82 is next in terms of aggressiveness. It is a light swirl remover that leaves an incredibly glossy and deep finish.

Meg's #81 is a pure polish with no cleaning abilities. It is designed to beautify the finish even more, by adding a richness to it.

I hope this helps!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hey,

I was typing as you answered the question about the color of the Vette. Man, I have to learn to type faster!!!

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the tips and the link, 2hotford. Very informative and helpful. Guess I should have done the search prior to my post. Will have to remember that.

I'm obviously in need of some additional pads (I don't have a finishing pad, and may need an additional polishing pad), and will go with either the #80 or #82 as my goal is to really clean the paint before applying the next product.

I was sooooo glad that the #83 and the cutting pad took the etching out, but at the same time, not totally happy with what was left. I'll try the #83 with the polishing pad tonight and see if that improves it any. Will have to wait until Sat at the earliest to try #80 or #82 as work will prevent me from getting to the local Megs distributor before closing.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

2hotford,
              I just read your reply re: #83 follow-up. I posted a question earlier about "still fighting cobwebs". After reading your reply, I'm sure I didn't use #83 long enough - 3 to 6 minutes on a 2' x 2' area! Guess I need to go back over our Corvette again with #83 and follow up with #9 (I don't have any 80, 81, or 82).
              Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hey duckvett

With the PC, Meg's #83 does take a while to break down. Remember to run the PC at speed 5, place some downward pressure on the buffer's head, and move the buffer very slowly. Use a cross-hatch pattern, and continue buffing until the #83 turns into a light residue/dust. But do not dry buff.

Give that a try and let us know how it turns out!

Tim

Comment

How much product (#83) should be used on the pad for a 2X2 section. If it's appropriate to apply for several minutes to one section, I would assume I should be using more product than I have been.

How much? X on pad, nickel size, quarter size, several nickel sizes around the pad??? - Inquiring minds want to know!
                  A great finish begins with the right start!

Comment

Hey,

The thick "X" of product is used to prime the pad at the very beginning. After that, I will place a healthy sized ring of product on the pad for a 2'x2' area. The time it takes to break down is only an estimate as there are many factors that may affect the process.

Cheers!
                    Tim

Comment

since its looks likes theres tons of threads about DACP, i'll post here since its a similar situation

here's my situation / question

dacp then either #7 or DC#2? (choices of what i have sitting at home)

i then plan on applying nxt

Comment

Originally posted by zzzzzeke
                        here's my situation / question

dacp then either #7 or DC#2? (choices of what i have sitting at home)

i then plan on applying nxt
                        Either or, you'll find Deep Crystal Polish to be eaier to remove.

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');