• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Layering NXT or NXT 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layering NXT or NXT 2.0

Can either of these be effectively layered. I know you can keep applying but is there enought cleaners / abrasives in NXT to remove the leayer of NXT below or a portion of it?

I'm not talking about the act of friction from application .. but the results of the chemicals/solvents/cleaners/ abrasives "IN" the product removing whats cured below.
    P M S Adjuster

Re: Layering NXT or NXT 2.0

Mike Pennington commented on this on the old CS forum...

Remember, Meguiar's teaches that after 2, maybe 3 applications of any product you will have hit a plateau, that is more and more product doesn't equal more and more thickness of a layer of protection.

There's a thread on this in Hot Topics

What's the deal with "Layering?"

The Law of Diminishing Returns
    (Thomas Malthus "Essay on the Principle of Population" published in 1798.)

While this theory is generally used to discuss topics as they relate to the areas of economics and politics, it is a model that can also be used to explain in this case, the complex action occurring at the microscopic level on the surface of your car's finish.

The law of diminishing returns as it relates to layering,

A surface, such as an automotive paint, can only hold so much product before all you're doing is removing all subsequent coatings applied to the surface.

That is to say, after the first, second and in some cases a third application/coating, any more product applied to the surface is merely removed when you wipe the excess off after waiting for the product to cure.

At this point you've reached a plateau (or limit), as to how much wax (natural or synthetic) a surface can hold. Once you reach this plateau, all further applications of wax simply become excess that will be removed (and thus wasted), during wipe-off because it has nowhere to attach and layer.

Of course, this all depends upon your definition of the word "Layer". If your definition of the word layer follows that of Webster's Dictionary:

2 a: One thickness, course, or fold, laid or lying over or under another.

Then yes, you can layer to a certain point. For example, you can add multiple layers of layerable waxes until the limit to how much a given surface of an automotive paint can hold before each additional application is simply removed, or replaces a previously applied layer.

You cannot layer to the point of developing a measurable film-build, and this is key; without negatively affecting, or diminishing to some degree, the shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color etc. of the finish

This is especially true if the product you're applying is not clear (in and of itself) to start with. If your definition of the word "layer" follows that of definition used by some on the Internet,

Layer 1: To continually build a greater level of protection with each additional application, or layer, of a wax or protectant. (Natural or synthetic)

Layer 2: To continually increase shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color without end and/or after a plateau, or point of maximum potential has been achieved.

Then no, you cannot layer a wax, synthetic, natural, or otherwise.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yes I have read that before but it doesn't answer the question asked.
      P M S Adjuster

Comment

NXT/NXT 2.0 (or the "pro" version #21) can be effectively applied with two coats. NXT cleaners are said to be so mild it will not remove the prior "layer" (I prefer the term application) of wax. Mike Pennington did mention it in the link that Mike Phillips offered.

NXT Gen Tech Wax is not a cleaner/wax and will not remove M21 or M21 is not a cleaner/wax and will not remove NXT Gen Tech Wax if you try and layer the products
        Also mentioned was that "layering" is more for uniform protection, not necessarily better protection. What Mike Phillips offered was that many people write that they apply (or layer) 3 coats of wax. That much paint rubbing is bound to be counter productive after awhile.

Look at it this way, even if you washed with plain, soft, filtered water and a super soft wash mitt, you will eventually remove product with enough rubbing. Same thing with wax.

Besides who needs three coats of wax when you can be anal (like myself) and wax every other week?

Comment

Yes, they can be layered (multiple coats). NXT has some light cleaners in it, so it will remove a bit of the coat below it. A lot of people top NXT with a pure wax so as not to remove any wax.

Comment

If I clean the paint with Klasse AIO or Color X, will NXT 2 remove any or all of the coating that KAIO or Color X leaves behind.

Comment

Originally posted by CWM3 View Post
              NXT/NXT 2.0 (or the "pro" version #21) can be effectively applied with two coats. NXT cleaners are said to be so mild it will not remove the prior "layer" (I prefer the term application) of wax. Mike Pennington did mention it in the link that Mike Phillips offered.

NXT Gen Tech Wax is not a cleaner/wax and will not remove M21 or M21 is not a cleaner/wax and will not remove NXT Gen Tech Wax if you try and layer the products

The question is .. Will NXT remove or partially remove the layer of NXY below it.

Also mentioned was that "layering" is more for uniform protection, not necessarily better protection. What Mike Phillips offered was that many people write that they apply (or layer) 3 coats of wax. That much paint rubbing is bound to be counter productive after awhile. Off topic

Look at it this way, even if you washed with plain, soft, filtered water and a super soft wash mitt, you will eventually remove product with enough rubbing. Same thing with wax. off topic

Besides who needs three coats of wax when you can be anal (like myself) and wax every other week?
              Poster below says it has cleaners and may remove some of the layers below.
              P M S Adjuster

Comment

Originally posted by Jesstzn View Post
                Poster below says it has cleaners and may remove some of the layers below.
                It won't completely remove the layers, but it does have a sleight amount of cleaners in it. This is to help it adhere to the paint better. You can apply multiple coats of it though.

Comment

You can apply wax and then apply NXT 2.0 without issue. ANY wax, including NXT, can be applied "below" NXT.

Comment

You can apply wax and then apply NXT 2.0 without issue. ANY wax, including NXT, can be applied "below" NXT.
                    Right ... so you will put a sealant over a carnuba? And it will bond?

P M S Adjuster

Comment

Right ... so you will put a sealant over a carnuba? And it will bond?

Comment

I'm sorry, I never bought into the whole layering thing because I have never seen any real benefit from putting on multiple coats of wax on.

Comment

Yes it will bond. I really don't see how you are still confused by this.

Comment

Yes it will bond. I really don't see how you are still confused by this.

So your saying that if I apply a coat of #16 to my car and follow it with NXT
                            a) NXT won't remove the #16
                            b)NXT will bond to the #16

If so please explain how it bonds and what it bonds to? As carnubas don't crosslink and bond as sealants do.

BTW I'm not confused but more amused by your answer.

Are you a Meguiars tech?
                            P M S Adjuster

Comment

So your saying that if I apply a coat of #16 to my car and follow it with NXT
                              a) NXT won't remove the #16
                              b)NXT will bond to the #16

If so please explain how it bonds and what it bonds to? As carnubas don't crosslink and bond as sealants do.

BTW I'm not confused but more amused by your answer.

Are you a Meguiars tech?
                              a) no
                              b) yes

To each other? You aren't making any sense. I tell you what. Go put on a coat on M16 and then a coat of NXT. If there is a pile of NXT on the ground because it didn't bond to the M16 or vice versa, please take a picture. I would be very interested in seeing that. If it doesn't fall off onto the floor and you still don't believe they will bond, please explain how-so.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');