• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Each one, teach one. Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Each one, teach one. Questions.

Okay, here is the patient.

I have told Scott I would meet him and see what we can do.

Heres the plan. I am going to do a test spot probably half the hood.

1 wash with gold class car wash
    2 claybar
    3 #80 maybe twice I dont want to be to agressive
    4 not sure here I have 7 and 9 I think I will just wait and see how the paint looks but I would say it could use just some pure polish.
    5 nxt 2.0

Any and all input would be appeciated. I have not worked on a car this old so if this doesn't sound right let me know.

Thanks.
    mlc

Re: Each one, teach one. Questions.

Not getting the pic to come up, but your plan seems reasonable. Remember 7 is the pure polish, 9 is a very mild cleaner polish.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Sorry try this.

I know. I think I will just have to see how the paint looks and if it needs the 9 to clean up anything from the 80.

mlc

Comment

Here's the picture...

You shouldn't have to use anything other than the M80 on that paint, it's pretty forgiving. You do want to use the product heavy on the horizontal surfaces, letting the oils and chemical cleaners penetrate.

Assuming that is the original paint, we think it's a metallic gold paint and back then the metallic used in the paint was actually aluminum flake and the problem you might run into is the aluminum oxidizes just like the paint oxidizes and you're going to see a lot of gray/blackness coming off with the gold pigment.

Just a guess based upon experience.

Watch any high points, body lines and edges.

Work small sections at a time, about a foot and half squared for the cleaning step and be sure to work each section evenly and overlap new sections into previous sections.

Best of luck to you, do your best to get a good before picture of the hood and deck-lid before your test spot, once you start working on the car you can never go back and get the before pictures.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike, does this year paint not have clear coat? Is it a single stage paint? Should I NOT even use the 7 after the 80?

mlc

Comment

Originally posted by mlc View Post
            Thanks Mike, does this year paint not have clear coat? Is it a single stage paint? Should I NOT even use the 7 after the 80?

mlc
            Well, it MIGHT have clearcoat, but more than likely it's going to be a single stage paint. Here's how you can test that:

How to test for a clear coat or single stage paint system

(Mike Phillips was good enough to write this article for us - Thanks Mike!)

Try using a little bit of 7 after the 80 in an inconspicuous area, like maybe on the bottom of the door near the tires or something similar, somewhere that it's not going to stick out like a sore thumb. Then you can tell if it's going to work for you to do over the entire car or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mlc View Post
              Thanks Mike, does this year paint not have clear coat?

Is it a single stage paint?

Should I NOT even use the 7 after the 80?

mlc
              IF that's the original factory paint it will be a single stage paint, the oldest factory U.S. clear coated car I've personally worked on was a 1980 Corvette.

So it's likely any U.S. car, truck or suv built before 1980 will likely have a single stage paint.

You'll find out real fast after you make one or two passes with the M80 on your Dual Action Polisher.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That is going to be a nice project
                You can give it a try with #7 Show Car Glaze or #3 Machine Glaze, it could make that gold color pop a little bit

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');