• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Try detailing my new Black 08 Acura MDX - Chitown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Try detailing my new Black 08 Acura MDX - Chitown!

Hello Everyone,
    Just wanted to thank everyone in advance for the help and responses. I stumbled across this site after googling detailing and several different brands of products. I spent 2 hours on it the first time reading all the various posts trying to educate myself on washing, polishing, claying and waxing my new 08 Acura MDX. I just purchased my new vehicle and I want to take serious care of it.

Here is what I just ordered and hope to try in the next week. Please respond with comments and feedback.

I'm starting with the Gold Class wash. I can't figure out what the difference is between the NXT and the Gold Class but everyone seemed to like the Gold. Can someone explain the difference?

I also picked up some ultimate detailer to have on hand for those days I want to just give it a quick wipe off.

I picked up the deep crystal polish so when I'm ready to give it a good polish I have it already.

I also got the NXT Tech wax. This had rave reviews so I had to try it.

I also grabbed some accessories so I don't ruin my car with some bad mits or towels. I ordered the Microfiber wash mit, water magnet drying towel, and a 3 pack of microfiber towels.

What I had some questions about were the following?

My door handles, running boards and grill are all chrome. What is the best product to use on these surfaces? Don't i want something that is specifically for chrome? I noticed an all metal cleaner but was unsure about it.

My wheels I believe are alluminum alloy. What should I use on those? I keep hearing about Mothers cleaner. I understand this a Meguiars online forum and I purchase 99% Meguiars but I would appreciate an honest answer on the best stuff for my Acura wheels.

Also, since i just purchased my vehicle will it hurt to give it a waxing now? It rained today and I noticed the beads all over the vehicle. I'm guessing the dealer did the first coat of wax when they sold it to me? Should I even do a polish since it's brand new? I didn't order the clay stuff yet as i don't believe I need it now since the car was just purchased. Comments?

Thanks again in advance for your replies! I'm totally pumped to get all my supplies and give it all a try.

Re: First Try detailing my new Black 08 Acura MDX - Chitown!

1. Wash - Gold Class is gentle and leaves a nice finish. Nxt has water softeners and seems to clean better, but being stronger, doesnt leave quite the same finish.

2. Clay - Buy at least one extra bottle of regular QD for claying. Dont skimp when using it.

3. Clean - Did you get a cleaner? Deep Crystal #1 would be a good general cleaner.

4. Polish - DC2 is good.

5. Wax - Did you get Nxt 2.0? If not, you might want to try and change your order.

6. Wax - Rememebr 2 coats are best.

7. Maintain - Remember UQD is for light dust only, more than a day or so of road grime will likely be best washed, esp with a balck car....

General - More towels, more towels...and applicators. And glass cleaners, trim detialers, tire shine, all-purpose cleaner... And then the interior.... you're in trouble now....

Questions:
    1. Is it that plastic kind of chrome, or actual metal? Plastic kind of chrome is best done with a basic paint cleaner and wax, gently.

2. I use the Aluminum Wheel Cleaner with soft brushes to agitate. Seems good so far, though they will need a claying/cleaning soon.

3. There wax likely wont last too long anyway, so dont worry too much about it. Polishing would be optional, but should really stand out on a black vehicle. Definatley clay. It will only be 10-15 minutes wasted if you are in good shape. Likely you will pick up a few things.

Remember to keep the clay for paint and glass to paint and glass only. Once you clay the wheels, or exhaust tips, dont take that clay back up to the paint. And cut the clay into 4 pieces, so if you drop it, you dont waste the whole bar.

If you dont want to do all the cleaning and polishing right away, simply doing wash, clay, ColorX, Nxt 2.0 would be a good quick detail starting of as well.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I was going to suggest you getting yourself a clay kit. Even on a brand new car you will probably pick up some bonded gunk from the paint. Good luck, keep us posted.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

No, I did not get a cleaner. I thought since i just purchased the vehicle it would not need a paint cleaner right away. Is my assumption wrong? Do you always use a paint cleaner before you wax? And do you always polish before a wax?

Sounds like you think I should clay it the first time before I wax it? Is that right? You also mentioned using colorX the first time. If the car is new why should I use the ColorX? There are no swirls, scratches, etc as the vehicle is brand new.

I did purchase the NXT 2.0 wax. I'm excited to try it as the reviews are unbelievable.

I looked at the chrome on my vehicle and I'm not sure if it's 100% chrome or what? not sure how to figure it out? Sure doesn't feel like metal, even my chrome sidebars don't feel like real chrome really.

Thanks for the tip on the clay. I can see how you can ruin your entire vehicle if you don't know what you are doing with the clay.

keep the tips coming guys. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Ok, sounds like I should give it a good claying just to make sure the first time. Before I order that I want to make sure I get everything else I need so i don't have to pay for shipping again.

Comment

Figure the paint has sat out in a lot at the factory, been transported by rail, possibly by boat, and sat at a dealership beside the highway. The paint might be dirty.

ColorX is a very good cleaner/wax. Basicaly, it cleans/polishes/waxes all in one step. While you may get better results from using seperate products for each step, the paint hoepfully is in good shape. So you cant improve it too much more anyway. Thus, along with the time savings, a cleaner/wax is going to give almost the same results at this point. Just up to you if you wanted to go with it. And I know it says for old cars, but dont worry about that. It works great on any car.

And I mean, you really cant screw anyting up with the clay. Once you get your hands on it you'll see better. Just spray the lube and fold the clay in when it gets dirty.

If you arent sure about the chrome, just go with a cleaner/wax for now, you'll get some in the clay kit anyway.

Comment

As far as having to do things... thats a bit more complicated.

Being a new car, as I said above, I would assume it is dirty going in, so claying and cleaning. But if it is in good shape, those steps will go quickly.

Claying is something you feel for... when the paint feels rougher, it needs clayed. If not, it doesnt.

Once you know the car is clean, if you feel it is still clean in the future, you wouldnt have to clean it again till you felt it was dirty. My car being a daily driver, parked outside... I always assume it is dirty, so I clean, or use a cleaner/wax before waxing.

Polishing adds looks and keeps the paint healthy. Your paint is healthy cause it is new, there are few pores to fill in, etc, so that makes polishing much more optional for a while. But your car is black... so it would improve the looks. When I use a cleaner/wax instead of the full process, it kind of covers that step as well.

Comment

Murr,
                Thanks for the replies. Since I already ordered the NXT Tech Wax I figure I will keep the waxing a separate step. I also ordered polish separately but I don't plan on using it yet.

I do have another question for you if you don't mind.

1. Is there a paint cleaner/polish in one? So I can wash, then use the paint cleaner/polish and then wax it with Tech Wax?

2. If I keep the steps separate, should I go with DC Paint cleaner for my new car or go with ScratchX for the paint cleaner? I will be doing this by hand if that makes a difference. Is the ScratchX stuff too strong for a new car?

Thanks

Comment

1. Yes, but they are more for machine use in the Pro-Lines. When I use ColorX, I follow it up with a coat of regular wax (I like #21). Meguiars recomends two coats, so that takes care of it in two steps, not counting washing, claying if needed.

2. ScratchX is not to strong for a new car, but it is for a different purpose. DC1 is more of a general cleaner, apply it, work it in a bit, etc, then wipe off. It will remove dirt, but not scratches/swirls. ScratchX, as it sounds, is for scratches and swirls. To use it, it needs worked in very well, lots of passion, lots of effort, slow moving, to be able to remove the swirls. So two different products with different goals. You certainly may want both on your shelf, but DC1 will be your general cleaner by hand.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');