• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you wet sand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you wet sand?

Hi, I started detailing way more than I expected and of course with more cars weekly, I get to learn more.

I'd like to learn wet sanding for the purpose of removing defects. I've read as many posts as I could on here, but I am not sure when should I resort to wet sanding. For example: I recently detailed f350 and there were some scratches that I can feel with my nail, but the were green, just like the rest of the truck. I was not able to remove them with a rotary, so I had to leave them alone. Another case would be a black bmw where I had what seemed to be scratches put on by some bushes, a few white zigzags. After going over with a rotary they drastically improved in appearance, but I could still feel them with my nail.

So in general, when should I resort to wetsanding as a method of removing imperfection?

Thank you!

Re: When do you wet sand?

Originally posted by Mless5 View Post
    ... I am not sure when should I resort to wet sanding. ...
    That’s easy, it depends. There is no hard and fast rule.

Some will say “never, because the risk of of cutting through is too great and even at its best it thins the clear too much, reducing the life the finish.”

Others will say “all the time, because it speeds defect removal and raises profits. Besides, the customer will never know. By the time their finish fails they’ll have forgotten we ever touched it.”

Most fall somewhere in the middle. You have to choose for yourself how you’ll approach your craft.

Me, I tend toward conservation above all else. So my personal answer is “rarely.” I’d do it on brand new paint that the shooter applied thick with the intention of sanding. On an existing finish I’d only consider it for really, really severe defects and even then only just enough to make it acceptable, not perfect, because that would remove too much paint.

... For example: I recently detailed f350 and there were some scratches that I can feel with my nail, ...
    Those are too deep to remove safely. At best you can reduce their appearance.

... Another case would be a black bmw where I had what seemed to be scratches put on by some bushes, a few white zigzags. After going over with a rotary they drastically improved in appearance, but I could still feel them with my nail. ...
    Again, if you can feel them they’re too deep to remove safely.

...So in general, when should I resort to wetsanding as a method of removing imperfection?...
    You can’t really make sweeping generalizations. Experience and good judgment are essential.

But if you care about the life of the finish, sanding or even heavy compounding should really only be a “last resort,” attempted only with a clear understanding of the finish’s condition and the risks involved.

PC.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');