• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures from Meguiar's Open Garage - April 10th, 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures from Meguiar's Open Garage - April 10th, 2008

Pictures from Meguiar's Open Garage - April 10th, 2008

Another fun night at Meguiar's Garage!

Here's Paul aka the other pc testing out the new D151 on his Mazda RX7 with original paint.

Our sample was in a Lab Bottle right our of the R&D department located here at our Corporate office in Irvine, California. We only had a few ounces to play with as samples are in hot demand!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Pictures from Meguiar's Open Garage - April 10th, 2008

1974 Mercedes-Benz 450 SL - Extreme Makeover Round II

Ned brought us his car a couple of years ago and we restored the aftermarket Glasurit Paint job for him, problem was he lost use of his garage to his wife where she needed to store some antique furniture, so exposed to the sun it slowly oxidized over the last 2 years back to where it was when we first worked on it. Now Ned has reclaimed his garage and asked us if we could work our Meguiar's Magic again and since we love a challenge we took on the project. We already restored the rear of the car during our first "Open Garage" even for 2008 here,

Pictures from Meguiar's Open Garage - January 10th, 2008

This was to see if a second polishing could be done and if it would hold up. 3 months later the paint was still holding up so this little test gave us the confidence to do the entire car. We had a great team of experienced people to tackle the challenge... check it out...

Before

We chose to try something different and taped off a diagonal section to show before and after

Here's Paul aka the other pc and Mike aka Mike-in-Orange starting in with the rotary buffer using
    some M80 Speed Glaze with a W-8006 foam polishing pad

Jesse aka hemin8r tackles the B-Pillar with the same combo of machine, pad and product. The old single
    stage paint reacts very well to the M80 Speed Glaze.

Paul continues to work the paint with the rotary buffer while Mike takes a moment to clean his foam pad by holding a terry cloth towel against the face of the foam pad to pull out some of the oxidized paint and spent product.

Notice how he locks the rotary against his leg using the body and the
    handle to form a V against his leg to stabilize the rotary buffer.

This works pretty well when cleaning a lot of dead paint off a pad but you have to very
    careful so that you don't get your towel and finger caught into the spinning pad.

After cleaning the face of the foam pad Mike is back to work.

Jesse gets down low to get the lower rocker panels. When you don't have a hydraulic
    lift to bring the car up to you, then you have to lower yourself to get to the car.

Here's Jonathan aka dietoremain sprucing up the section we already polished using the G110

Here's Jonathan's dad Bill working the tight areas by hand

Tackling a project like this by yourself is a daunting task, but with a team of seasoned Pro's it's not only fast, it's fun!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

So guys.....what's the verdict on D151?

I wish I could have been there but my schedule has been insane lately.
      -Bob
      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

And the verdict is................. still out.

Sorry about that, but I only got to try it with one pad (W8006) and one machine (rotary), which isn’t enough to judge a product whose strength is flexibility across a wide range of application processes.

I can say the name Paint Reconditioning Cream is literal. The stuff’s creamy. It applies very nicely, no grabbing or gumming, with good working time and without dusting. It finished down really glossy.

As for defect removal, well, that car wasn’t a good test, especially with a polishing pad. It’s already glossy with the existing defects being mostly RIDS (that I don’t want to remove from 23 year old factory original paint). I hope I can try it soon with a cutting pad on a car that really needs reconditioning.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
          So guys.....what's the verdict on D151?

I wish I could have been there but my schedule has been insane lately.
          Hi Bob,

We didn't really have enough product to do a lot of testing plus we had a lot of people that brought cars to work on that actually required different products.

We'll try to get some more for the next "Open Garage" class, but samples are in high demand and hard to come by so we'll probably just have to wait till actual product product starts shipping.

Good things come to those who wait...
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here's the side-by-side, before & after...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Great work guys! It's cool to be able to see some faces (or back of heads) to go with the names too.
              Scott

Comment

Never a dull moment at Meguiars. Once again I had a blast working on the 450SL along with the others. The transformation in person seemed to me even more dramatic than the photos.
                Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Here's the final results...

A really BIG THANK YOU to everyone that helped out with removing the oxidation and restoring a show car shine to this classic 1975 Mercedes-Benz 450 SL

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Vincent just had some surgery on his jaw and could hardly talk but he sure run a G100 Polisher to shine up his Mercedes-Benz.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Tom and his wife brought their 1995 Honda by to see what we could do for it, the front clip had been repainted and had a mottled look to it, we tried some machine polishing but it didn't have any effect.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I agre it is nice to put some faces with the names. You guys did a outstanding job on the Benz. It looks fantastic. Way to go guys. Looks like another fun night was had at the open garage.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

great seeing everyone again! and seeing some new people. that old SL, im speechless as to how good it turned out!!! its unfathomable what Meguiars products can do!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Comment

The Mercedes turned out wonderful!
                            Seen like you guys had lots of fun

Comment

Looks great!

Wish I could have been there to see the other half being worked on.

But I should be coming June or July
                              Patrick Yu
                              2003 Honda Accord
                              2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');