• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel corrosion around center cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel corrosion around center cap

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger SXT. About a year ago, I had three wheels replaced due to some corrosion appearing around the center cap. Now, about a year later, the corrosion has returned. I hope to have Chrysler replace them again. Unfortunately, I'm sure the problem is likely to return.

Does anyone know what causes this corrosion? Any suggestions to prevent it?

I'm thinking of removing the center caps and really laying on the clear coat underneath.

I already wax the wheels with Gold Class or NXT.

The corrosion is most noticeable at the bottom and to the right of the ram head.

Last edited by petepuma01; Apr 13, 2008, 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Re: Wheel corrosion around center cap

i dont think waxing will prevent that mate, they look like a machined alloy wheel so i think youll find that area is untreated (i.e., raw metal). over time you would probably get the same in the recesses for the wheel nuts. also where the rims are damaged (the chips around the centre caps) is prone to rusting for the same reason. to prevent it basically your only option is to apply some sort of paint (i.e. clear coat as youve said) to the entire rim including the recesses.

Comment

Similar corrosion happened to my rear wheels as well, around the center cap and at the edge . Because I hit the sidewalk a few times, they were repainted through the dealership. it was done before the winter and the corrosion appeared just after 4-5 months. I complained to the dealership last week and the wheels are currently being repainted now.

Comment

Are these clear coated? As in polished aluminum with a clear protective coating of paint over them?

If so, the area of corrosion could be where the finish has been nicked and thus removed allowing the bare metal to be exposed to the elements and this would cause the corrosion.

Just a guess as there's no corrosion in the larger flat areas, but seems to be isolated where a lug nut wrench could easily bump any high point or edge which is where the corrosion appears to be.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike

Yes, they're clear coated, though I think the problem is originating from the inside of the wheel and working its way out. I'm almost due for a tire rotation, at which time I'll check the inside of the wheel. There is no doubt that the inside of the wheels are not clear coated- I think it starts there and works its way out, under the clear coat.

Assuming I do get new wheels, I think the answer is to clear coat/protect the inside of the wheel.

But if I don't get new wheels... well, it may be time to paint them.

Comment

Another option is to avoid any wheels with coatings, thus no coating to fail or have problems with like this member,

Metal Particles embedded in wheel?
            General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Polished Aluminum - And make a commitment to maintain them with a good aluminum polish

Chrome - Make a commitment to keep them clean, as long as you keep the chrome clean, no dirt or moisture build-up in cracks and crevices, the chrome will outlast you.

Just some suggetions...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');