• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a fed gas tax freeze help you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a fed gas tax freeze help you?

Just wondering what anybody thought about a possible federal gas tax freeze? Would it help you or your business? Like to hear your point of view. Thanks!
    BRENT'S CLASSIC CUSTOM DETAIL
    STATESVILLE, N.C.

Re: Will a fed gas tax freeze help you?

I thought I heard on the news this morning that it was $0.18 per gallon. If that's the case I don't think it will be enough to affect me much.
    Scott

Comment

We were thinking the same thing unless our state would also do that (freeze the state fuel tax).
      BRENT'S CLASSIC CUSTOM DETAIL
      STATESVILLE, N.C.

Comment

Well Florida is thinking of freezing the state tax, plus the freeze on the fed tax. It would help a little bit. But at what cost? Less funds equal less road projects and our infrastructure is already too old. But the record profits will still be there for the big oil companies.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
          Well Florida is thinking of freezing the state tax, plus the freeze on the fed tax. It would help a little bit. But at what cost? Less funds equal less road projects and our infrastructure is already too old. But the record profits will still be there for the big oil companies.
          Which is exactly why gas should have been this price a decade ago. I agree. Monopoly pricing at it's best.

Comment

One of our forum members posted this a few weeks ago

Possible oil reserve in US

Hope they're able to bring this to market, that would seem to be a better idea then the gas tax vacation.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It would be great if it was brought to market. However if no one invests in refineries what good would it do? We have to get the oil companies to invest in more refineries. Not thru tax credits or subsidies. Meaningful building of refineries. Not a shell game. Build a new refinery and we give you all this federal help. Then you start to phase out the old refineries. What good will this find be if we do not have the capabilities to refine it? Just venting out loud.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

If Pa. froze the state tax it would not hurt the roads. Our roads have been bad even with the state tax. Sorry if this off the issue.

Comment

Not really. Combined state and Fed taxes equal .37. The government makes more per gallon than the oil compaines do.

The low value of the dollar is driving speculation. Hopefully this will end soon.
                  The U.S. has lots of oil we just can't go get it....

Kelly
                  MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

'High' gas prices are due to one thing. The value of the dollar. Freezing the taxes is like putting a band-aid on a broken arm. Until the dollar value increases on the world market, prices will be high.

Compared to most of the rest of the world gas is still dirt cheap here

Comment

A friend of mine owns a gas station, so all he hears about is the gas paices being too high, oh he must be making a killing with his profit.

Well, folks, his profit is only 6 cents- yes, 6 CENTS per gallon.
                      My County is considering on cancelling our gas tax cap. That will raise the prices a whole 5 cents per gallon.

In other words, a gas tax freeze will not help or hurt the gas prices, the station owners make **** for profits, so who is making the money?

I buy gas at Big Apple, or Hess which are both AMERICAN refineries, and AMERICAN GAS.

It is cheaper, same quality, and is not dependant on foreign influences.

Sorry-nonsensical rant over.

Comment

The tax free gimmick is just a ploy for politicians to pretend they are doing something.
                        Al
                        ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Executive Detailing View Post
                          A friend of mine owns a gas station, so all he hears about is the gas paices being too high, oh he must be making a killing with his profit.

Well, folks, his profit is only 6 cents- yes, 6 CENTS per gallon.
                          My County is considering on cancelling our gas tax cap. That will raise the prices a whole 5 cents per gallon.

In other words, a gas tax freeze will not help or hurt the gas prices, the station owners make **** for profits, so who is making the money?

I buy gas at Big Apple, or Hess which are both AMERICAN refineries, and AMERICAN GAS.

It is cheaper, same quality, and is not dependant on foreign influences.

Sorry-nonsensical rant over.
                          As I said the governemnt makes more per gallon than the oil companies......
                          We have plenty of oil and we know it is too. We just can't drill thanks to the eniviro people.

Kelly
                          MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
                            'High' gas prices are due to one thing. The value of the dollar. Freezing the taxes is like putting a band-aid on a broken arm. Until the dollar value increases on the world market, prices will be high.

Compared to most of the rest of the world gas is still dirt cheap here
                            And it won't increase until the United States stops outsourcing every single bit of labor that they can and only mass importing everything. We need an industrial revolution all over again at this point.

Our gas is cheaper here than the rest of the world, because the US isn't taxing it like other countries are and like it should have been. We decided low gas prices, blah, blah, blah. Now we have had almost no infrastructure growth since the 70s-80s. NO MONEY!!! Unless I am mistaken, other countries are not having this problem. Of course part of the problem is the mass immigration, and we just don't have the money (^^^) or the means to keep up with it right now.

Comment

Short term it might if the state’s followed suit. I recently read a synopsis of the big 5 oil company exec testimony in front of Congress and what struck me as disingenuous were the statements about what they, as a group, have invested in R & D for alternative fuels/energy. Their statements were that over the past five years they have spent X amount of billions of dollars on that endeavor. That got me to thinking and I of course had to break out the calculator, too many zeros, and after doing the math it worked to somewhere around 1.5 million per company per year. Those dollars came from, they want you to believe, their total profits. It has been some time since I had an accounting class but I seem to remember that profit is the dollar amount after all expenses are subtracted. Which the R & D dollars would already have been subtracted. Don’t get me wrong, if someone were to pay me millions of dollar a year to run their company I certainly would not have a problem cashing those checks however in a basically unregulated industry there must be some corporate common sense to how much pay your exec team and how much you want to "hurt" the consumer. Living where I live, the home of a couple of the larger oil company’s I constantly hear how much money this exec, retired or current, or that exec gives away. A thought, but maybe they can give some of that money to those of us who could really use it to pay for their gasoline product in order to run our businesses. Sorry for the slightly off topic rant.
                              fficeffice" />
                              Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');