• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/2 a Yukon....No not a Blazer:D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 a Yukon....No not a Blazer:D

Gang,

Here is the drivers side only of a detail that is a work in progress.

My process was testing of products and refining my PC skills now that I had a decent week of good weather while OFF OF WORK!

My process over the last day and a 1/2 was:

Wash: Gold Class Car Wash
    Clay: Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay kit
    Polish: M02/M09/M80/ScratchX
    Wax: NXT 2.0
    Trim: Gold Class Trim Detailer
    Wheel Wells: M40

I was attempting to fix the prior owners abuse as well as the bonehead that was using products not to their full potential Guess who?

I started with M80 with my G100 and it did not budge the swirls, surface looked shinier but still swirls. I was extremely low on M83 and so I thought about it and refilled my patience and broke out M02. I used M02 with the PC in small sections (after test section) with an 8006 pad, three passes. I then moved on to M80 1-2 passes with PC/8006 combo. I had some marring from the M02 but nothing the M80 couldn't handle. I wish I had M83. The M02 worked great, it's actually on the scale lower than M83 but without the dual action, action (if you will). I finished up with NXT 2.0 (one coat right now) and wrapped things up. Mom's not home at training in Chico, CA and the house is a mess and most of my MF's and towels are dirty. I cleaned the pad on the fly frequently and the G100 hummed happily destroying the deep octagon shaped swirls. I used ScratchX on a scrape from what looks like a shopping cart or other vehicle. I used the M02/M80 on the metal trim and it turned my pad black and cleaned it up nice but still had scratches which I'll work on later. I used M80 with cut up terry cloths on the door jambs and although not perfect, much better and I used the sun as my "spot light".

I was happy with the results and it seems like every time I break out my stuff, I improve my paint. I've come a long way since day one on this site and with lots of reading and asking questions.

Thanks for looking. Other half tommorow after giving the house a good cleaning after working out and kicking kids out for school.

End result, very minute swirling but not enough for someone to come out and go I was very happy. Glad I didn't send my G100 back and get another one and end up frustrated. I figured my problem was pad saturation.

Side view of the Yukon. The picture doesn't do it justice. The gold flakes and shine really comes out in person.

Front wheel/wheel well. The wheels are flaking the CC off and need a redo or strip and polish, not sure what I want to do yet. Hot Shine on tires, M40 in wheel wells.

No swirls. Really happy with this.

Metal trim don't look bad. Right below say around the "O" below the metal trim was the scrape, about 4" long or longer. M02/M80/ScratchX cured it with little to no evidence a scrape was there.

Rear door, no swirls(very little at least) this door looked so bad with octagon shaped swirls and looked like it was a kingdom for spiders. The metal trim has scratches but looks way better.

Good ol' Gold Class Trim Detailer on this plastic. I don't know how you guys do it. Trim detailer, hit glass, clean glass, smear trim detailer work, reapply trim detailer, clean glass...........ahhhh. LOL.

Rear wheel/wheel well. Same process as front wheel. All the wheels need stripped and polished new CC or leave polished.....

Side view.

I like these mirrors, seen chrome, all black, I like the matching paint. Hand applied M80, NXT 2.0. GCTD on plastic.

Door frame, hand applied M80 2 passes and NXT 2.0, not perfect but really nice.

Back door, not done yet but you can see the swirls and what I'm up against. not horrid but for a learner, it's hard. I do test spots on all panels.

The wifey decided to close the door with a corner of a box with the whole back end covered with that red nasty gritty road cinders put down for ice during the winter (thank you ODOT), she drug the cinders across the paint as I was she said "sorry" I was "what the heck " Hopefully ScratchX takes it out, I can just barely feel it with a fingernail.

Just some polishing and GCTD oughta do the trick, tommorow. I'm pooped.

Tommorow, I got the passenger side, back end and do a touch up on the hood as I tested the G100 on the hood and laid down a coat of NXT 2.0 and it actually looks pretty good.

Thanks for looking. I'm a little tired and now I have a house to clean.

Boy I sure like looking out the window at the drivers side. Now it'll probably rain on me.

Aaron
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Re: 1/2 a Yukon....No not a Blazer

Hey Aaron,

Awesome! You really made the metal flake pop on that truck! I'm guessing that is same one that you posted about working on the chrome the other day. The wheels look great also.

Andy
    101impala
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

same chrome/metal trim. I think it's aluminum but very touchy to the AMP and HRAP. I had a member PM me about a different product and next payday, money prevailing (I'm so broke I can't PAY attention) will get it and give it a whirl.

That behemoth was hard. I'm pooped. Lucky I've been working out, holding the G100 on the side panels wasn't too bad

Aaron
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Nice job Aaron!
        You can see a more deep and shiny color, more bright compared to that back door

Very nice job removing the swirls, and good luck with the rest of it

Comment

Good job! Good luck with doing the whole thing and I hope your results satisfy you.

Comment

Nice work

I have a suburban that's almost identical-
            I am going to use your experience to my benefit (esp. with the trim detailer)

thanks for the write up!

-nick
            Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Hey Aaron, the yukon is coming along nicely. Your really getting the hang of the G100. It's looking great. Your paint is really popping. It looks really good. Keep it up. Way to go. Thanks for the writeup.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Aaron,

I can fully sympathize about how tired you are! Last summer I did my Yukon XL, it took me about 40 hours to do the whole thing inside and out. I followed about the same process, 83, 80 + 2 coats NXT. Let me know what finally works best on the chrome trim...that is one part of the job I didn't tackle last year, but would like to this year. Can't wait to get back up on a ladder and work on it again...just kidding!

Comment

Looks good. Personally, I would just strip the emblems right off the truck. A little fishing wire and a 3M stripe wheel and you'd be all set. Never to have to deal with cleaning them again.
                  If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');