• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious??

ok, this has been bugging me and now I have to find out how to do it.

I was wondering how you could get a good mirror finish on your car with out using a DA or a PC... I know it might be harder and more time consuming but I would like to know since I don't own a DA or a PC right now

Re: Curious??

Creating a show car finish by hand is possible by hand, depends upon whether or not you have defects in the paint or not and if you do how deep they are and how wide spread they are.

Besides that paint hardness will be a factor and your skill level.

The most important step will be Step 2 in Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle. If working by hand this would include you rubbing out each square inch of your car's paint with the appropriate paint cleaner and removing all the below surface defects as best as you can.

If you do the cleaning step correctly, that is if you did the work step correctly, then the polishing and waxing step, or as it fits into Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle, Step 3 and Step 4 will be fast and easy because now you're not trying to work the product, (you already did this), now you're just trying to apply, spread out and gently work-in a thin coating of polish and then wax.

What are you working on?
    What condition is the paint?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Well the paint is in decent shape but when I got it from the dealer ship it looked like it got attacked by a razor or some one didn't buff it correctly resulting in the hood and the roof being pretty banged up. But you can't really see it with out looking at it at an angle.

If you want to I can post some pics of the hood and roof if that will help explain it better.

Comment

Removing defects by hand can be done, but it's not easy. It takes a lot of time and patience.

Whatever you do, please don't reach for the most aggressive compound out there. Some products will just create a bigger mess.

My reccomendation would be to start out light with a product like ScratchX. It will take a few passes to see an improvement in some cases.

Pictures are helpful to a point. Most of the time, you just have to try the product and see what happens. Some paints are harder than others and require more effort.
        Chris
        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

It could be done, but as you know and other have said it's hard.
          But if you have the time and dedication then you could manage to get wonderful results.

You can take after/before pictures to compare your results and see to what point you restored your paint finish.

Either way you go, hand or machine, good luck with your detail

Comment

If you use the scratch-x, don't give up after a pass or two. You will probably need multiple passes to get the desired outcome. Remember to apply some passion behind it, (elbow grease) Good Luck.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Well I have been using ScratchX for some time since I bought it and it is the only thing I have used lol. I have been working on the roof of the car to try it out and hopefully I can get a good result like some of the pictures that I have seen over the last couple of days (makes me jealous)

I just went and picked up some Cleaner wax and was wondering if this would be good to use while I am doing this.
              Last edited by Suprem01; Apr 19, 2008, 11:41 PM.

Comment

The thing with ScrathcX is that almost no one really understands it at first. It needs worked in, but worked/pushed into the paint as well. Having the car rocking a little on the springs isnt unusual. You can imagine keeping a car rocking on its springs as you do multiple applications on each section of the car..... almost imposible to keep that up evenly around the whole car, which is where the machine comes in.

We often recomend focusing on one panel a day, or even half a panel on something like the hood.... in those cases, doing ScratchX, then the cleaner/wax to get some protection on quickly would be a good idea.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I will keep that in mind. I have the day off tomorrow so it will give me some time to get this down... I will post info regarding what I do and see if I can get it better then it is now.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');