• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Polishing

As this is the last weekend before I move, I got the 20's thrown on as I won't have room to bring an extra set when I move down, the others are going into storage. Anyway, figured that since I was cleaning the rims anyway, i might as well take my Mother's Powerball Mini a little further than just polishing the head lights.
    Here was the supply list:

Meguiars Plastx
    Simoniz Automotive glass cleaner (could find any Meguairs NXT anywhere in Ottawa, damnit!)
    Blue Magic Chrome Polish
    A roll of shop towels
    (not shown) Green painters tape
    and muh powerball
    There was also a can of Meguiars NXT Insane Shine Tire spray.
    Taped off all of my chrome accents and the headlights as I really didn't want to accidentally polish the clearcoat, that would involve some swearing. The chrome was really cloudy and marked up, but a minute or so of work with the powerball and the blue magic brought it back.
    Rear door handle after the first go with polishing, it was actually alittle better already.

And the front after the polishing and a little hand buffing. BIG difference!

Gas cap was really bad, but not any more

Rear hatch covers look alot better but unfortunately they are covered in little pits which you can see if you look closely. ah well still good for 4 years of exposure without any polishing. (Yeah yeah, I know)

Now on to the headlights, the passneger side before any work at all.

Drivers side after first round of polishing with blue magic (was recommended on Meguiar's site to use the metal polish then hit it with the PlastX).

Did both headlights twice with teh blue magic, then twice again with the PlastX. And the results....

Not the dramatic results I was expecting, but defintitely better than before,
    And the whole thing...

Re: Spring Polishing

Those wheels really set-off the rest of th chrome. Nice job on the polish. Try some #10 and some #17 one the plastic head lights next time.
    Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Your chrome looks great. The wheels look awesome.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Very nice job.
        Love how the gas cap looks

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'll have to find out what you mean by #10 and #17, I'm only familiar with the consumer line stuff available.

This is my best shot of the gas cap from a photoshoot last fall. I love dusk shots....

Comment

They are the Pro line (Mirror Glaze) clear plastic cleaner and polish. I've had good luck with them. Although some damage is beyond their reach. Do a search using the keyword 'headlights' and you'll find several strings with "how to" info on restoring headlights. The more aggressive methods involve wet sanding, but give great results in the end.

HTH

Liked your car page by the way. I saw the 1/0 running from the Optima in one of the above picts and was wondering what you were powering. Very nice job all the way around.
            Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Some plastic headlights seem to react better to polishing than others, looks like it's better at least.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGypsy View Post
                Liked your car page by the way. I saw the 1/0 running from the Optima in one of the above picts and was wondering what you were powering. Very nice job all the way around.
                Thanks for the info. Yeah I get a few comments on the cable every now and then. The 0 guage enters at the firewall and is split off into 2 4 guage at a distribution block, then into 2 other distribution blocks, and a single 4 guage cable.

Block 1 powers:
                1 7" VGA touchscreen monitor
                2 7" Visor monitors
                4 7" Headrest monitors
                Oznium Inferno underbody kit
                Sony Xplod 500 Watt 4 Channel Amp for the front and rear speakers (2 1" tweeters, 6 6.5" Speakers, All Infinity Kappa)

Block 2 Powers:
                400W Power Inverter
                VGA signal Splitter
                VGA2XBox video Converter
                P4 2.4 GHZ CarPC

Single 4 Guage goes into a 1 Farad Power Acoustik Capacitor, then off to a Kenwood D series 2 Channel Amp to push the 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 Subs. All install done by me as I got tired of paying shops to do it wrong, so I taught myself how to fibreglass.

Comment

Good work. Those headlights need some wetsanding.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');