• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing how easy M83 is to use with the right technique!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing how easy M83 is to use with the right technique!

Amazing how easy M83 is to use with the right technique!

Some of you may have read the thread I posted a week or two ago called "PC 7424 first use - what am I doing wrong?"

With some great tips and advice I was able to get some decent results using M83 and a W-8006 foam pad. It was hard work! I was having trouble getting the M83 off, seemed like I had to use QD and really scrub at it. Also it seemed I had a lot of dusting and had to make 4 or 5 passes to see any real results.

Well, last night I had some time so I thought I'd give it another try, but this time I was going to experiment with the amount of product. I used only 3 pea-sized drops of M83 on the pad, worked a small 12x12 area and found to my astonishment that the residue wiped right off very easily, and I could see the difference in the area I had just worked compared to the surrounding area! I made 2 passes using only 2 pea-sized drops of M83 on the pad for each 12x12 section, and I cleaned the pad on the fly between applications.

I was thrilled to see that 2 passes of M83 the right way accomplished what 5 passes required the last time (not to mention the huge amount of product used on the 1st try).

On my first attempt, I did only the edge of the fender to the crease in the hood. This time, I ran tape down the center of the hood and worked only on the driver's side. Here's some shots:

Bad swirls and holograms

After:

50-50

50-50 from another angle

Lessons Learned:

1. Don't apply too much product! Saturating the pad makes the product much less effective and very hard to remove the residue.

2. Keep the pad clean! Clean the pad after every application so it can spin freely and work on the paint.

3. Place a mark on the top of the pad so you can tell if it's spinning. This tip actually helped me to sort out my issues. Applying too much product resulted in gummed up pad that wouldn't spin. A fresh pad with the right amount of product spins freely and does a lot more work with a lot less effort!

I hope my experience will help someone else avoid my mistakes

Re: Amazing how easy M83 is to use with the right technique!

Good tips - I discovered the same thig with 83 this week trying out the G110 for the frist time. Too much product = PIA to work with!!!

Comment

Great results. Now your talking. Thanks alot for sharing your tips. I am sure it will be helpful to others. Great work.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Oh yeah, special thanks to Nappers' comments on "I got some M83 .. have a couple of questions" thread.

I followed his technique

Comment

THAT IS AWESOME!

Those half and half photos really show what you did.

Good show!

It's nice to see your car when you come out of a store into a parking lot and what you used to see eh?

Glad I could help. Always nice to see someone benefit from my experience as I too am still learning.

Aaron
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

and thanks for sharing!
            SYDSTER

Comment

83 is one of my favorite's.....

Comment

Glad it turned out right for your
                Pictures look great by the way

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I can't rave enough about this forum...It's all positive and upbeat (not critical like other forums I've been on). My foray into detailing has been a very enjoyable and rewarding experience so far, thanks to you guys on this forum

Comment

Glad everything is working good for you. Great work. Picyures look great. Thank you for sharing.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

I will remember this! Thanks for sharing your info. I always suspected I was being somewhat liberal when applying 83.

Matthew 19:26

Comment

OP, thanks for the insight on the proper usage of #83. Your pics of the updated buffing were spectacular. I just bought some #83 and have been wondering about how to use it correctly. Now I know. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm glad that my lessons learned might help you, it makes the time and effort required to write it up worth it

I did another round last night using speed 6 this time and got even better results. I was previously overly fearful of 'overworking the product' to a dry buff, but have found that I wasn't working it enough. I was able to get the same results with 1 pass using speed 6 and working it a bit longer than I did with 2 passes on speed 5 and not working it enough. Now, the overall time I worked it with speed 6 was less that the overall time with speed 5, but the product was physically broken down more...does that make sense?

I'm a true believer in M83, and love working with it

Comment

Thanks for the tip about using speed #6 instead of 5. I just need to be sure that I work the polish enough to get it broken down enough to bring out the finish I want. Sounds like the issues some of the people are having with #83 more to do with technique than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousG35 View Post
                              Sounds like the issues some of the people are having with #83 more to do with technique than anything.
                              I agree with that statement. I was expecting M83 to be a pain to work with based on what I had read, and it was in the beginning. However a little experimentation and practice have allowed me to get the "feel" for it in terms of speed, pressure, amount of product to use, and how long to work it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');