• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: *New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Originally posted by Poki View Post
    Tim, since D151 is a cleaner,polish.wax one step product....would it be a good item for daily driver/detailing our own cars that may not have time to do a regular 3 to 5 step detail (except for claying when needed)? Do you let the product dry to a haze before removing like ColorX? I'm wondering how it would compare to a ColorX with NXT 2.0 last step. Would save one step maybe??
    Morning,

Sorry for the late reply, as I was away on a family vacation.

I think that D151 would be overkill to use it every time to detail your own vehicles. Once the swirls etc have been removed by the D151, you could use a less aggressive product like M66 Quick Detailer Cleaner/Wax or the ColorX that you mentioned to remove any light hazing etc that may occur between major details. Then top it with your favorite sealant if you choose to do so.

Finally, D151 is quite a bit more aggressive than ColorX. Moreover, while the wax in the D151 is VERY good, NXT 2.0 is still Meguiar's best protecting wax. To obtain the best protection, I would follow the D151 with NXT or M21.

I hope that helps!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
      doing it this way, does it leave any protection behind as oppose to letting it dry and then buffing off?
      Morning,

Good question! If you are wanting to use it as a wax, then I would allow it to set up, perform the Swipe Test, and then remove like you would any wax or sealant.

Now with that said, I did remove it right away on one section of the wife's car and it is still protecting very well! But when detailing the travel trailer I did do larger sections so that it could set up before removal. That way I could use D151's wax protection.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by OGauge4Me View Post
        Tim:
        Thank you. I cannot wait to try the product on the family minivan.
        You are very welcome! I am glad that my review was a help for you!

Tim

Comment

• Mr

Tim,

You are without a doubt, you are the man! I suppose I could repeat what ever one else has said but that would get redundant. Your knowledge and sharing is very much appreciated. On the down side, the wife was reading over my shoulder and saw the picture of the camper and asked why her car didn't shine that way. Well, gotta go. She also said something about me not doing much today. Thanks!
          Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Im hoping this question hasn't already been answered as this thread is huge! And I didn't read EVERY post.

I'd like to use 151 on the rotary either with a wool or black pad depending on the severity of swirls (from what I've read the aggressiveness can be controlled with the pad) for detailing my customers daily drivers. I'm wondering is there a synthetic cleaner wax that will give me the shine that NXT 2.0 gives AND eliminate buffer swirl all in one step? I'd like to be able to do 151 rotary and than a synthetic cleaner wax with a DA to finish. Otherwise I'll just finish with the 151 on the DA.

I'm also wondering how do you know when its broken down enough on the rotary (compounding & polishing) vs the DA (polishing & wax). Or is it basicly broken down and wiped off the same way regardless of whether you're correcting or finishing.

Comment

Wouldn't D151 give you the shine you want?
              Paul Marmarinos
              Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
              "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

It could possibly. I havn't tried it yet. Is it THAT good????

This stuff sounds too good to be true!

Comment

Originally posted by kzyman13 View Post
                  It could possibly. I havn't tried it yet. Is it THAT good????

This stuff sounds too good to be true!
                  Use D151 as a "one-liquid" solution; get your defects out with one pad, switch to a finishing pad and your done. Final step can be done with your D.A. polisher. D151 doesn't have any trouble delivering on the shine.

I don't think it would replace a premium synthetic wax product, but for maintenance on cars you see frequently...I think it would be a good product for you.

Try it. Then you can tell us if it is THAT good.

We are hearing lots of folks saying it is THAT good. I wish I had it when I was a full time detailer!

Comment

I can't wait to try it. I under-wheeled my own designate drive > I'm gonna use it to fix that. I thought the #83 on a DA was gonna fix it, but not quite. All the swirls are gone I just have a rotaried haze still when I put lights on it. Looks awesome in the sunshine though! I get all kinds of compliments, but never good enough for my OCD taste. I wanna be able to spot a dime 3 blocks away in the reflection... then I might be happy.

Thanks for the advice! I've got my order in at ADS AND my makita rotary is on its way from ebay to replace my 1970's no-brander.

Comment

i cant find D151 on the meguiar's Estore....can someone help me?

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86 View Post
                        Go to "Auto Detailing Solutions" online. (just Google it)You can buy smaller sampler sizes instead of a gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86 View Post
                          Not available just yet through Meguiars E-Store. It is in the process of getting set up and being available.

Mike
                          Mike Pennington
                          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                          Meguiar's, Inc.
                          800-854-8073
                          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Just got my gallon of D151 last night from ADS. Cannot wait to try this stuff out! My dad has a 1994 Nissan Pickup that is going to make a great test application. I'll be sure to take some photos.
                            NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

really nice job.....great product too

Comment

I wanted to add to this thread.

Today, I just used D151 on my 01' Lexus. I applied the wax by hand. Took approximately 4 hours to apply and remove by myself. I wasn't able to take any pictures, as it was getting late and too dark to take good photos.

My car's finish did not have a lot of scratches or swirls to begin with, so I wanted to try this out to just get a good coat of wax on the car to begin with. It was easy to apply when done with a thin coating. I found that at times if I put too heavy an application on the paint it was harder to buff off. I did panels and sections at a time, letting the product dry fully and buffed off 10-15 minutes later.

I used a Meg's yellow foam pad. Important: you must occasionally wipe the pad off with a cloth (MF or terry, I used a MF cloth) to prevent dry wax flakes on the edges of the pad from getting onto the pad itself. If you get any dry wax onto the pad and then onto the surface of the paint it is harder to buff off. I used up/down, left to right application.

Be careful not to get any d151 onto the black trim of your vehicle, as it is hard to remove.

I realize this is a product for the Detailer line, and it's intended use is for body shops and dealerships that need an AIO to save time. I equate this product to Meg's cleaner wax. I am impressed with the results, but would probably stick to the cleaner wax in the future.

One big plus: Did an awesome job on headlight, fog light and rear plastic coverings! Optical clarity is very much improved!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');