• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: *New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
    I wanted to add to this thread.

Today, I just used D151 on my 01' Lexus. I applied the wax by hand. Took approximately 4 hours to apply and remove by myself. I wasn't able to take any pictures, as it was getting late and too dark to take good photos.

My car's finish did not have a lot of scratches or swirls to begin with, so I wanted to try this out to just get a good coat of wax on the car to begin with. It was easy to apply when done with a thin coating. I found that at times if I put too heavy an application on the paint it was harder to buff off. I did panels and sections at a time, letting the product dry fully and buffed off 10-15 minutes later.

I used a Meg's yellow foam pad. Important: you must occasionally wipe the pad off with a cloth (MF or terry, I used a MF cloth) to prevent dry wax flakes on the edges of the pad from getting onto the pad itself. If you get any dry wax onto the pad and then onto the surface of the paint it is harder to buff off. I used up/down, left to right application.

Be careful not to get any d151 onto the black trim of your vehicle, as it is hard to remove.

I realize this is a product for the Detailer line, and it's intended use is for body shops and dealerships that need an AIO to save time. I equate this product to Meg's cleaner wax. I am impressed with the results, but would probably stick to the cleaner wax in the future.

One big plus: Did an awesome job on headlight, fog light and rear plastic coverings! Optical clarity is very much improved!
    G110 should be in your future!

Comment

I applied the wax by hand. Took approximately 4 hours to apply and remove by myself.

I did panels and sections at a time, letting the product dry fully and buffed off 10-15 minutes later.

Why not do the whole car at once?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        Why not do the whole car at once?
        I did!

Moderator, please note that I am going to be adding pictures to my original post today. Can you remove the time limitations on my earlier post of #210?

Seth, yes, a 110 or 7424 is in my future. I'm getting too old for this

Comment

I did!

Moderator, please note that I am going to be adding pictures to my original post today. Can you remove the time limitations on my earlier post of #210?

Seth, yes, a 110 or 7424 is in my future. I'm getting too old for this
          Call me when you're 50+!

Just put your pictures in a new reply to this thread.

Comment

Today, I just used D151 on my 01' Lexus. I applied the wax by hand. Took approximately 4 hours to apply and remove by myself. I wasn't able to take any pictures, as it was getting late and too dark to take good photos.

My car's finish did not have a lot of scratches or swirls to begin with, so I wanted to try this out to just get a good coat of wax on the car to begin with. It was easy to apply when done with a thin coating. I found that at times if I put too heavy an application on the paint it was harder to buff off. I did panels and sections at a time, letting the product dry fully and buffed off 10-15 minutes later.

I used a Meg's yellow foam pad. Important: you must occasionally wipe the pad off with a cloth (MF or terry, I used a MF cloth) to prevent dry wax flakes on the edges of the pad from getting onto the pad itself. If you get any dry wax onto the pad and then onto the surface of the paint it is harder to buff off. I used up/down, left to right application.

Be careful not to get any d151 onto the black trim of your vehicle, as it is hard to remove.

I realize this is a product for the Detailer line, and it's intended use is for body shops and dealerships that need an AIO to save time. I equate this product to Meg's cleaner wax. I am impressed with the results, but would probably stick to the cleaner wax in the future.

One big plus: Did an awesome job on headlight, fog light and rear plastic coverings! Optical clarity is very much improved!
            I look forward in seeing the car pics! And too old for detailing?? Never!

I just wanted to point out that D151 is very different than Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. As I mentioned in my review at the beginning of this thread, the product uses a unique and an Advanced Unigrit Technology for fast and level cutting of the paint’s surface. It can be applied by Rotary, by Dual Action Polishers and by Hand. The level of aggressiveness places it somewhere between Meguiar’s M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish and Meguiar’s Solo Cut and Polish Cream. In other words, it has the ability to remove fairly deep swirls and scratches.

Even though it is a powerful all-in-one (much much stronger than the Cleaner Wax), for a person just wanting a light cleaning with wax protection, there are more suitable choices like ColorX, Meg's Cleaner Wax and Meg's M06 Cleaner Wax. Any of these will clean the paint and leave a beautiful protective finish behind. But with D151 and the new abrasives, it is geared more towards, IMO, the person who has paint with moderate swirling/marring and will most likely be using a machine for application. Moreover, I have found with this product that one needs to really work it and by hand, that may become tedious.

D151 is an excellent product and one that I use a lot of, but it has its place and purpose. But if you want to get the best out of it (and many other products for that matter), I would suggest getting a G-110! It will make your life a whole lot easier!

Cheers!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Sorry I did not post these up sooner. But, here it goes. Please keep in mind the entire car was done by hand.

Comment

Comment

It looks good, I have not used D151 PRC but from this review and your pics it looks like an awesome product.
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                    It looks good, I have not used D151 PRC but from this review and your pics it looks like an awesome product.
                    Thank you Tuck. I think for doing it by hand it turned out pretty darn good. I do think it could be better if used with a DA. Funds are kinda limited right now, so it's all hand application for now.

Comment

Using my G100 to apply the D151 on cars is so much easier. I would be lost w/o my G100. LOL
                      2016 Focus ST

Comment

I used 151 as my final polish after 105 yesterday on my 00 Golf. I was very happy with the results. I will not be able to determin the duribilty of the wax in it, it was topped with 7, then got a sealant of DG105.
                        Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

How does D151 compare to ColorX?

Is it a bit more abrasive?
                          r. b.

Comment

Thanks for the review man, nice job !

Comment

I have to say, I used PRC151 on a really dirty white Honda on Saturday.

I used some of the tips that Tim put in his review and used it as a cleaner polish, not as a one step product. The results were amazing. I washed, clayed with blue (mild clay) and went right to the D151. I had taken everything with me, but wanted to try the D151. I had M80, M83, M105 and M205. This car was really neglected as the dirt just ran off the surface during washing, but there was so much dirt embedded in the paint, even claying wouldn't remove it. After one pass with the D151 using my G110 the dirt just came right out of the paint. I topped it off with M21. I finished pretty late so I didn't get the full effect until the next day. The paint was so white in the sun that it actually hurt your eyes.

Tim,

Thanks for always doing your complete reviews and showing everyone how to use these products from your experience. Thanks for all the tips!

Andy
                              Sorry guys no pictures!!
                              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

My limited experience, so far, with two similar products: D151 didn't work too well with BMW products, but I switched to M66 and it was spectacular. D151 was great on Saab, Honda and Nissan cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');