• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: *New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
    ...I think the below pic of my D151 supplies says it all...yep..I use a lot of it.

Tim
    Good God!

I didn't realize you buffed that much Tim.
    r. b.

Comment

Tim, how will you ever use all that D151? You do have a very impressive collection.

But I do have a question for you. What is the durability like on D151?. I already have all the other Meguiars AIO's.

not sure if I want D151 though, It looks like it would work pretty good with my G110. Would it be okay to use with a SoftBuff 2.0 Polishing Pad?
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
        Tim, how will you ever use all that D151? You do have a very impressive collection.

But I do have a question for you. What is the durability like on D151?. I already have all the other Meguiars AIO's.

not sure if I want D151 though, It looks like it would work pretty good with my G110. Would it be okay to use with a SoftBuff 2.0 Polishing Pad?
        I have found the durability to be similar if not slightly better than Meguiar's M06 Cleaner Wax. So while it has good durability, I still prefer to top it with M21 etc...

Yes, it would be OK to use the W-8207 Polishing Pad and in fact that would be the one I would recommend in this case.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I have found the durability to be similar if not slightly better than Meguiar's M06 Cleaner Wax. So while it has good durability, I still prefer to top it with M21 etc...
          Tim
          Not questioning, just inquiring I guess, I thought that normally you do a sealant first and then wax on top?

Or is it that all Meguiar's products work well with each other that you can break free from "the norm" and put sealants on top of waxes within the Meguiar's line?

Can you shed some light on it Tim, or another seasoned pro? Mark??

Thanks for your time and any replies.

Mike

P.S.
          I have read where Mark likes to use #20 as a base, then top with #21. Is that essentially just putting a sealant over another sealant, but putting the one with a little bit of cleaning power as the base so as to not take off the #21 if you put down #21 first? Hopefully that makes some sense cause I think I even confused myself with this.
          2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
          2005 Honda CRF250R
          2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Originally posted by 02zx9r View Post
            Not questioning, just inquiring I guess, I thought that normally you do a sealant first and then wax on top?

Or is it that all Meguiar's products work well with each other that you can break free from "the norm" and put sealants on top of waxes within the Meguiar's line?

Can you shed some light on it Tim, or another seasoned pro? Mark??

Thanks for your time and any replies.

Mike

P.S.
            I have read where Mark likes to use #20 as a base, then top with #21. Is that essentially just putting a sealant over another sealant, but putting the one with a little bit of cleaning power as the base so as to not take off the #21 if you put down #21 first? Hopefully that makes some sense cause I think I even confused myself with this.

Hi Mike,

One of the "accepted" practices on Internet forums is to apply a wax over a sealant. There are many speculative reasons for this including bonding issues etc.

However, Meguiar's products are designed to work together. Moreover, since I suggested using D151 as a cleaner/compound and not as a wax, I am not allowing the product to set up, before I remove the residue (normally for LSP's one would wait ~15 minutes to allow the product to set up). So in this situation, just like when using M80 which has a paintable polymer in it, we are using the product as a cleaner/compound and not as a LSP. If you are concerned, you could do a Iso/water wipe down though I have not found it necessary.

As for topping M20 with M21, the specialized cleaners in M21 will not remove enough of the M20 to lose its value. Many people hear the word "cleaners" and they think "cleaner wax" which is simply not the case. The specialized cleaners in M21 are extremely mild and it is not a true cleaner wax.

I hope that helps!

Tim

Comment

It does thanks.

You said you do not let it set up before you remove the residue. Is this in fact referring to D151? In reading your review, no where did I read that you were using it as a compound/cleaner and that you wiped off the residue before it had a chance to set up. Unless it was in a later post that I may have missed (Again not questioning or anything like that so please do not take it as me questioning or trying to make you justify or anything, just want to make sure I am not using the product wrong)

So to use this as a cleaner you work it in then imediately wipe it off?

To leave some wax protection behind you let the residue haze over then wipe it off? Sort of like a regular cleaner wax??

I have only used it a few times, once on a bbq grill and once by hand and I just followed the instructions on the bottle and it does not say you can top with a sealant (I will look again when I get home to reconfirm but just looking on autogeek it does not say you can top with a sealant BUT looking on ADS in the Pro tips for Meguiar's D151 it does say:

"(OPTIONAL):
              For additional clarity, gloss, and protection re-apply P.R.C. with the appropriate Meguiar’s foam finishing pad or applicator pad.

PROFESSIONAL TIPS:
              For added protection, apply your favorite Meguiars quality wax or sealant."

Before I found this site I always used Mothers California Gold cleaner wax (did not know any better, and I always applied to whole vehicle and let it haze then removed, all by hand)

Again, I just want to make sure I am using the product correctly. My intention is to use it with either a LC white pad (orange if necessary) then if it needs it follow up again with D151 with either a LC black or Blue pad to bring out the gloss and clarity. I was then going to put on a coat of either #26, #16 or Collinite 845, but if I can throw a sealant on then I would possibly put on M20 or my wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant if it will not have any bonding issues.

I really do appreciate your input and ideas.
              2005 Honda CRF250R
              2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Hey Mike,

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that Meguiar's products are designed to work together. As such, topping D151 with M21 will indeed be just fine as the products are compatible with one another. However, that may not be the case with other manufacturer's products!

I am sure I said it somewhere in the 25 pages how I used the D151 as that question does come up a lot. The reason I topped the D151 is that I wanted a more durable LSP. While I have tested the D151 on its own and it did very well, I still wanted something a bit more durable as well as the look I was after. HOWEVER, I did leave several sections with just D151 as I wanted to see its performance because at that time, I was in the testing stage of the product.

Tim

Comment

Ok thanks Tim. I will go back and read through the pages again and I am sure I will find my answers.

Thanks Always for your help and informative reviews you do!!!
                  2005 Honda CRF250R
                  2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

I would move up to M105, then use D151 and top with your favorite LSP.

Tim
                    I'm obviously late to the D151 discussion. But I just noticed this post Tim.

Seeing as how M105 can leave some light marring, which is why we would go to M205 right after.

What kind of results are you getting with M105/D151? Does D151 really leave the finish that M205 would leave except with some protection?

The reason I ask, is because I'm looking to set up a combo for people who aren't always willing to fork over for an 8-10 hour job. So instead of going through M105/205/M21, I'd rather just do M105/D151 and call it a day. Of course I'm not looking to do a hack job or anything, but if D151 can really *Remove* the light marring caused by M105 but add some protection, then we have a winner.
                    2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
                    2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Caress Detailing View Post

Seeing as how M105 can leave some light marring, which is why we would go to M205 right after.

What kind of results are you getting with M105/D151? Does D151 really leave the finish that M205 would leave except with some protection?

The reason I ask, is because I'm looking to set up a combo for people who aren't always willing to fork over for an 8-10 hour job. So instead of going through M105/205/M21, I'd rather just do M105/D151 and call it a day. Of course I'm not looking to do a hack job or anything, but if D151 can really *Remove* the light marring caused by M105 but add some protection, then we have a winner.
                      I'm doing M95/D151 or M95/M66 with great results.

Comment

Originally posted by Caress Detailing View Post

Morning,

Meguiar's D151 leaves an excellent finish! Because it uses the new SMAT abrasives, it cuts and finishes beautifully. However, M205 will finish better. Is the difference huge? No, but there is a difference. But using M105 followed by D151 will look awesome on most cases.

Tim

Comment

Morning,

Meguiar's D151 leaves an excellent finish! Because it uses the new SMAT abrasives, it cuts and finishes beautifully. However, M205 will finish better. Is the difference huge? No, but there is a difference. But using M105 followed by D151 will look awesome on most cases.

Tim

Thanks Tim! Looks like I'm going to have to try out that combo on one of my family's car and see how it comes out.
                          2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
                          2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Just bought a gallon of M66, now I have to wait until thats gone to get D151.

Maybe not...
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Meguiar's D151 is very thick, and with the new abrasives, causes one to somewhat re-learn the detailing methods.

If you prime the pad with D151 by placing a 2-3 rings of product around the pad, and then work it in with your fingers, then all it will take is a small ring of product for buffing each section. It does act similar to M105 and like I said, once a person gets through the learning curve, you will love it!!!

I just finished proofing part of Kevin Brown's paper in which he mentions the importance of priming the pads with product when working with SMAT abrasives. Believe me, it makes a huge difference!!

Tim
                              Many thanks, again, for the tip Tim.

Got to try this product out on a neglected finish yesterday, and the results were very satisfying. After making sure the pad was fully primed, I then had no trouble working this product in by G100, and the product did not dry out before I finished buffing a section.

The finish was immaculate to say the least.
                              r. b.

Comment

You are welcome!

Tim
                                I figured that using one gallon alone on one car would probably diminish the paint down the bare metal!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');