• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: *New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
    I figured that using one gallon alone on one car would probably diminish the paint down the bare metal!

Yep...just barely enough! Luckily it is not for one car...

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I haven't even used up my sample bottle from ADS. LOL I have done four cars and still have plenty left. I have a gallon of D151, but still is sealed.

BTW, hey gang. It's been awhile since I've been on MOL. Hope everybody is doing well!
      2016 Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by rascal View Post
        I haven't even used up my sample bottle from ADS. LOL I have done four cars and still have plenty left. I have a gallon of D151, but still is sealed.
        I like what Rick has done by offering the 32oz sample, but the cap nozzle is a bit too small. It takes *some* effort to squeeze D151 onto a buffing pad.
        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
          Today, I just used D151 on my 01' Lexus. I applied the wax by hand. Took approximately 4 hours to apply and remove by myself. I wasn't able to take any pictures, as it was getting late and too dark to take good photos.

My car's finish did not have a lot of scratches or swirls to begin with, so I wanted to try this out to just get a good coat of wax on the car to begin with. It was easy to apply when done with a thin coating. I found that at times if I put too heavy an application on the paint it was harder to buff off. I did panels and sections at a time, letting the product dry fully and buffed off 10-15 minutes later.
          I found that out Monday evening when I tried a hand application of it. I guess I got it on a bit thick in places, and it was a pill to remove after I let it dry!

The next day, I thought I would apply D151 to my older vehicle via G100 / W-8006 combo on the 5 setting...do the whole side...let it dry...then wipe off. But much to my amazement, the product was difficult to remove.

I worked D151 in much like I would #83, or #82, after making sure the pad was primed. I'm not sure what I did wrong, or if I did anything wrong, except that maybe the product might have been a bit thick in places, but it didn't look any thicker than #82, or #83 would have.

Is it OK to use a lighter amount, and lighten up on the buffer? Seems to come off better that way if you want it to dry before hand.

Then again, I sometimes wonder if it was difficult to remove due to thirsty paint. Next time, I might remove D151 before it sets up...re-apply it and allow it to dry.

This stuff has incredible gloss. I just need to get through this learning curve.
          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
            I found that out Monday evening when I tried a hand application of it. I guess I got it on a bit thick in places, and it was a pill to remove after I let it dry!

The next day, I thought I would apply D151 to my older vehicle via G100 / W-8006 combo on the 5 setting...do the whole side...let it dry...then wipe off. But much to my amazement, the product was difficult to remove.

I worked D151 in much like I would #83, or #82, after making sure the pad was primed. I'm not sure what I did wrong, or if I did anything wrong, except that maybe the product might have been a bit thick in places, but it didn't look any thicker than #82, or #83 would have.

Is it OK to use a lighter amount, and lighten up on the buffer? Seems to come off better that way if you want it to dry before hand.

Then again, I sometimes wonder if it was difficult to remove due to thirsty paint. Next time, I might remove D151 before it sets up...re-apply it and allow it to dry.

This stuff has incredible gloss. I just need to get through this learning curve.
            I've used about a half gallon of D151 and have never had a problem removing it, including a few cars with chalked single stage paint. Don't know if this has anything to do with your experience, but the stuff is hard to "shake well," especially in a full fresh gallon container.

Comment

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
              I've used about a half gallon of D151 and have never had a problem removing it, including a few cars with chalked single stage paint. Don't know if this has anything to do with your experience, but the stuff is hard to "shake well," especially in a full fresh gallon container.
              Wonder if high humidity has anything to do with making D151 hard to remove?
              r. b.

Comment

Wonder if high humidity has anything to do with making D151 hard to remove?
                I'm in the Washington, DC suburbs, very humid in the summer (although not as bad as say, Tampa FL).

Comment

I'm in the Washington, DC suburbs, very humid in the summer (although not as bad as say, Tampa FL).
                  Maybe I'm not priming my pad correctly, or something. I found a thread that discuses the Kevin Brown method of priming, so I will try that and see if it helps.
                  r. b.

Comment

Maybe I'm not priming my pad correctly, or something. I found a thread that discuses the Kevin Brown method of priming, so I will try that and see if it helps.
                    I've used it with all different amounts until I reread this thread way-back-when that a little goes a long way.

Starting with a fresh pad, two spray shots of QD, run the pad in a terrycloth towel and apply the product to the pad.

Pressed for time, I've applied it directly to the paint surface. This is all using the G110. Still no problem with removal, I usually only let it dry for the required 15 minutes or so.

Comment

I've used it with all different amounts until I reread this thread way-back-when that a little goes a long way.

Starting with a fresh pad, two spray shots of QD, run the pad in a terrycloth towel and apply the product to the pad.

Pressed for time, I've applied it directly to the paint surface. This is all using the G110. Still no problem with removal, I usually only let it dry for the required 15 minutes or so.
                      You mean to hold the towel, by hand, against the buffer, or press the buffer against the towel, while it's against the panel?
                      r. b.

Comment

You mean to hold the towel, by hand, against the buffer, or press the buffer against the towel, while it's against the panel?
                        Same way you clean the pad after 2-3 sections: buffer against the towel in the hand.

Comment

Same way you clean the pad after 2-3 sections: buffer against the towel in the hand.
                          I see.

I've always used a stiff brush to clean my pads with, as I find it removes the most residue.
                          r. b.

Comment

I see.

I've always used a stiff brush to clean my pads with, as I find it removes the most residue.
                            My theory is that as the job advances the pad becomes saturated with more non-abrasive liquid and the next application of product won't have the same "strength." Hence, using the towel to soak up the excess as well as get the residue off the pad surface.

Comment

The clean on the go towel method does work pretty good. Except I use a microfiber. Either way, like seth said when the pad is saturated with used liquid, having fresh polish will work like how it's supposed to.
                              2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
                              2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Do you use the same high quality MF you use on paint to clean the pads?

Or will just any cheap ones will do?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');