• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time to wait before applying a second coat of wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time to wait before applying a second coat of wax?

How much time to wait before applying a second coat of wax?

I'm doing my very first NXT 2.0 application this weekend , and i just want to be sure of the correct process

1. wash
    2. clay (if necessary)

i wont do much cleaning since the car is fairly new

then to apply NXT 2.0 should i do it to the entire car all at once or panel by panel ??

how long it usually takes to NXT 2.0 to cure/haze/be ready for removal ??

how much time have to pass between 1 thin coat and 2nd thin coat ??

I've read some info on this but the time range is quite large .. since i read anytime between 2-24 hrs ... so what's the real recommendation ?

Salu2

Re: so .. how much time ??

Originally posted by armas78
    I'm doing my very first NXT 2.0 application this weekend , and i just want to be sure of the correct process

1. wash
    2. clay (if necessary)

i wont do much cleaning since the car is fairly new

then to apply NXT 2.0 should i do it to the entire car all at once or panel by panel ??
    Most people will apply wax to the entire car, allow it to dry and then wipe the excess wax residue off the car. Applying panel by panel and not moving on to the next panel till after you're finished with the previous panel would greatly increase the amount of time it will take you to wax the entire car.

Most Important: Apply a thin coating, not a thick coating. A thin coating will dry the fastest and be the easiest to wipe off.

Here's technique that works for most people,

Apply your wax starting at the roof or highest point of the car and then work around the car until each square inch of paint is coated with your choice of wax.

When the wax has dried and is ready to wipe off, start wiping the dried was off where you first started when you applied the wax and then follow your path of travel until all the wax is wiped off.

After you have completely wiped off all of the excess dried wax residue, then in you like you can give the paint a final wipe using the techniques listed here, Final Wiping Techniques

how long it usually takes to NXT 2.0 to cure/haze/be ready for removal ??
    Depends on temperature, humidity and how thick of a coating you apply.

What temperature ranges are best for applying cleaners, polishes, and waxes

At 70 to 80 degrees with normal humidity, a thin coating of NXT Tech Wax will take 10-15 minutes to fully dry. Use the Swipe Test to determine if the wax is dry and ready to wipe off.

Swipe Test

how much time have to pass between 1 thin coat and 2nd thin coat ??
    In a perfect world, you want to wipe the first coat of wax off and then wait for about 12 hours to apply the second coat, (this is true of most non cleaner/wax products). This allows the polymers to fully set-up before applying the second coat. Applying the second coat too soon just pushes the polymers around on the paint because they haven't set-up yet. (My understanding from talking to the chemist).

Most of us don't live in a perfect world and apply the second coat within minutes of wiping off the residue from the first coat.

I've read some info on this but the time range is quite large .. since i read anytime between 2-24 hrs ... so what's the real recommendation ?

Salu2
    Most people make this harder than it has to be. Apply your wax, let it dry wipe it off. Simple. If you want to apply a second coat apply after about 20 to 30 minutes have passed. This is what I do.

Some people don't have to drive their car so they can leave it in their garage overnight where the paint will stay clean with no dust or dirt build-up. Then the next day, because the paint is still clean, they will apply their second coat.

If you don't have a garage or some kind of shelter to leave your freshly waxed car sit for 12 hours or so, then just apply your second coat in the same detailing session. If you do have a garage or covered shelter where no dust or airborne contaminants will land on the paint, and you don't need to drive the car, then after wiping the dried residue of wax off the car then let the car sit untouched until you apply the second coat.

About the 12 to 24 hour time frame recommendation.

This is not a HARD RULE

So much confusion over something that is not that complicated. The reason there is a 12 hour time frame is because they're no when to know when each polymer molecule is finished setting up. There is no test equipment and you can't shrink yourself down to the size of an atom to walk around on your freshly waxed paint job to look and inspect the polymer. (At least we don't think you can, maybe you can?)

So the 12 hour time frame recommendation is just that, a recommendation for the truly OCD. The time that passes between 1 second after you finish wiping the dried wax residue off the surface and the 12 hour point in time, the polymers and other protection ingredients will have fully set-up in most cases.
    • Some polymers may set up 2 minutes after final wipe off.
    • Some polymers may set up after 2 hours after final wipe off.
    • Maybe some polymers take 6 hours to fully set-up. (Who knows and how could anyone ever know for sure?)

Since there's no way of knowing, the 12 hour time frame is a GENEROUS allotment of time that provides for plenty of time for the coating to fully set-up and give you peace of mind with a number you can track on a clock or wristwatch.

It's really not that complicated.

My personal comment...

If I drive to a customer's house to detail their car, I can't wait for 12 hours to pass to apply the second coat because that would mean spending the night in that location or driving back the next day. This would remove any profit from the job. Make sense? For this reason I apply and remove the first coat and then find something else to do for about 2- to 30 minutes because I usually have plenty to do anyways, like pack up my car, or dress the tires or clean the windows, or drink a Pepsi.

Then I apply the second coat, let it dry, wipe it off, tell the customer I'm done and leave.

If I work on my car or a customer brings their car to my house, then after wiping the first coat of wax off the car, I'll leave the car alone for the rest of the day and night and then apply the second coat the next morning. This means the customer is leaving their car at my house overnight. After wiping the second coat off I call the customer and tell them to come pick up their car.

That's the most you can do and that's more than most people do and it's usually enough for most people on earth.

It's really not that complicated.

Hope this answers both the "how" and "why" of this question.

We're also going to move this to Hot Topics because the question comes up often enough that we need the above typed up answer to reference for the future!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

1)Wash
      2)Clay
      3)Clean/Polish - Even though it's new, look at the paint, see circular scratches=swirls. Our Brand spanking new Neon was swirled up and needed claying it was bad. The dealer called and asked about our car buying experience, I told her about the condition of the car, she offered a detail job, but knew enough sense to decline and did it myself.

You can put wax on the whole car. I don't recommend applying in the sun (I use our trees as shade )

When putting wax on, use very thin coats(as you know), you may see a haze (it's hard to see it on a thin coat), the best way is to a Swipe Test. My best guess, if you don't have humidity to worry about, is 10-15 minutes. If you wipe while wax is still drying, it will streak.

Also, when you wipe, do it slowly like in this article: Final Wiping Techniques. Also, wiping slow assures that you won't rush wiping from the first panel you did to the last panel you did. I've wiped too quick at times and had streaking.

Some say to wait 12 hours for second coat. Others say an hour.

I have put on a second coat usually an hour or more after. What I do is after final wipe, clean up my tools, clean the interior (vacuum, glass, etc) throughly. I also separate my towels, clean my applicator pads (except the wax one) and usually after that, throw the second coat on. Basically waste time. LOL.

For dust sakes, I go around with Quik Detailer(not UQD) just to be sure all of the dust is off. Nothing like getting some debris in your pad as your going in circles with your wax! We have a lot of wind and dust flying around.

Yes, we read a lot of stuff. I'm still reading.
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

You might like to read "A Lesson from White Paint" by Mike Phillips over at autopia.org, that talks a little about how paint gets dirty, and you may not notice it.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: How much time to wait before applying a second coat of wax?

Thank you all for the comments ... i know this may be a question we all noobs have, glad to read all of this good info ...

i'll put it into practice this weekend ...

saludos !!!

Comment

Mike that was awesome.

I actually like to come back after the first coat is dry and not remove it but come back over the dried coat with another wet coat. Just seems to work for me. I just let it dry again and then buff it off.

By the way, the new Ultimate Wipes are amazing!
            The best glass cleaning towel I've used to date. Removes waxes and polished like a terry without the linting.
            www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Hey Justin, glad to see you still around

I like to put a very thin coat on, let sit for 30 minutes while I dress the tires, finish up any interior work, then remove the thin coat. I usually don't apply a 2nd coat, unless it's my car and I do it the following day.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                You might like to read "A Lesson from White Paint" by Mike Phillips over at autopia.org, that talks a little about how paint gets dirty, and you may not notice it.
                Excellent article, thanks for pointing that out. And thanks to Mike for sharing with us his knowledge.
                Bill from SLC, Utah
                "Show me Wax on Wax off!"

Comment

This is good information - but I just don't have enough "arm" left after doing my black F350 Super Crew 4x4 for about 3 days. Any problem with doing a second coat a week later?

Comment

I know this is a little old but thought I would answer you question anyway IC2. No, it's not a problem to apply a second coat a week later. As long as you have washed the truck again to remove any contaminents. You could wax your truck every week if you felt like it. I generally do two coats within an hour or so on customers cars. On our personal cars I either wait overnight to do a second coat or put it on after the next time I wash the car which is about weekly in my case.
                    Jason

Comment

^good, I was fixing to ask that very question
                      2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Well, look at it this way.. you can do whatever you want... it is just a matter of if you dont do the "best case", how much less are you doing.

The best case for a show car would be to do a coat of wax, let it sit in a clean garage for 24 hours, then apply a second coat. That would get best looks and coverage.

So, how much less matters? Well, most of us apply outside the same day, so a bit of dust gets on the paint, and it turns out ok. As long as you are sure the surface is clean, ie not waxing over sap, rail dust, other bonded contaminants, and have washed away the loose stuff, you should get pretty darn good results, and a couple days of potentially uneven coverage isnt risking too much. Most cars drive around with far less, and the paint isnt falling off.

Comment

Sorry I has to resurrect this thread from the dead. I have read recommendations for a non-Meguiars was to put a very thin layer of wax on and let it set up for 2 hours. Then, without wiping it off, go back over the dry wax with another layer of wet wax by hand or with our orbital. Allow it to haze and remove it. While this makes for a lot of work, the finish will be thick and rock hard.

Thoughts on this method?

Comment

Originally posted by napalm39 View Post
                            Sorry I has to resurrect this thread from the dead. I have read recommendations for a non-Meguiars was to put a very thin layer of wax on and let it set up for 2 hours.

Then, without wiping it off, go back over the dry wax with another layer of wet wax by hand or with our orbital. Allow it to haze and remove it.
                            The best way to use a product is as the manufacture recommends it as they know their product formulas best. Following the instructions of someone posting on some discussion forum doesn't really make them an expert on a product they never had any direct involvement with in the design of the formulation. That said, it's your car, time, energy and investment, maybe do a test spot and make up your own mind.

Maybe start your own thread on this subject and include a link to the where you read about this and others will be able to read it and chime in with their thoughts on the topic.

While this makes for a lot of work, the finish will be thick and rock hard.
                            • Does this person have any scientific proof of this?
                            • Do they explain how they can test for this and show their findings?

Or is is just their opinion?

Thoughts on this method?
                            The correct way to use Meguiar's waxes is to apply the wax, allow it to dry until it swipes clear and then remove the dried residue.

Can't really speak for other companies products or recommended application direction.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

To get into detail on your truck might be better in a new thread, esp to add pics.

1. Both liquid and paste will leave the same wax behind, it is just that the liquid is more... liquid. The paste can dry easier in damp conditions, and some people just like it.

2. Nxt Metal Polysh is good on stainless, as is the Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish.

3. How to Upload and Insert Images

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');