• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time to wait before applying a second coat of wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much time to wait before applying a second coat of wax?

Question:
    I'm assuming the polymer seting is a chemical reaction and once it's set, it won't be 'dissolved' by the new layer of wax.

The only exception would be to avoid the freshly waxed paint getting wet as water will wash away the unset polymers.

This is what i understand it to be.

Comment

So, what would happen if I were to apply the first coat of wax, wipe it all off. I would end up driving it to work the next day. So it might get dusty, can I just wash it with some good soap and apply the 2nd coat?

2002 Yellow Chevy Monte Carlo SS
      My Albums: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/Johnson0667/

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
        So, what would happen if I were to apply the first coat of wax, wipe it all off. I would end up driving it to work the next day. So it might get dusty, can I just wash it with some good soap and apply the 2nd coat?
        Sure, go ahead. Just be sure to wash the car again before applying your second coat. Sometimes we do not have the time to apply the second coat on the same day or even on the next day. All we can do is the best we can do, even if it means applying the second coat one day later, two days later, seven days later, or whenever.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by daniel View Post
          Question:
          I'm assuming the polymer setting is a chemical reaction and once it's set, it won't be 'dissolved' by the new layer of wax.
          I've been involved in a couple threads on layering and it's taught me to clarify thoughts accurately with choice of words.

It depends on what you're using and how you're using it. That said, Meguiar's doesn't teach that our products can be layered if by the definition of the word layer you mean to create an ever increasing thickness of protection on a painted surface with repeated applications of a paint protection product.

To date, at least that I'm aware of, no one has ever proven in a measurable and easily repeatable way where repeated applications of a product will result in an increasing thickness of that product on the surface. Seen a lot of posts about it over the years but no proof.

Originally posted by daniel View Post

The only exception would be to avoid the freshly waxed paint getting wet as water will wash away the unset polymers.

This is what i understand it to be.
          The idea with a freshly applied wax or paint sealant is to not touch it after final wipe-off as this disrupts the protection ingredients or in other words moves them around and this could mean moves them off the paint. So in a perfect world, after waxing the car and giving it the final and last wipe of the ye old microfiber polishing cloth, at this point you quit touching the car and leave it alone for a window of time between zero and 24 hours. Or at least don't continue wiping and wiping the paint after final wipe-off.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike,

In post #2, you have a link to a thread on final wipe but the url is incorrect. It should be http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7820. You got an extra http// in there which may make it difficult for some folks to find.

Just trying to be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepcollector View Post
              Hi Mike,

In post #2, you have a link to a thread on final wipe but the url is incorrect. It should be http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7820. You got an extra http// in there which may make it difficult for some folks to find.

Just trying to be helpful.

Thank you sir! It's fixed...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike or any other MOL fellows,

I have question about the second coat of wax.
                if i am doing my car. the car is going to sit outdoor, but have a roof over the top.
                can i wax it and do the final wipe slowly and let it sit over night
                then next day use ultimate quik detailer to wipe clean the body
                then put the second coat?

i heard i can use the UQD to clean all the dirt within 2 days and leave a clean finish.
                is it clean enough to apply wax?

anyone, it has been a day?
                Last edited by Executionerhk; May 2, 2009, 09:41 PM. Reason: to see anyone know the answer

Comment

Originally posted by Executionerhk View Post
                  Mike or any other MOL fellows,

I have question about the second coat of wax.
                  if i am doing my car. the car is going to sit outdoor, but have a roof over the top.
                  can i wax it and do the final wipe slowly and let it sit over night
                  then next day use ultimate quik detailer to wipe clean the body
                  then put the second coat?

i heard i can use the UQD to clean all the dirt within 2 days and leave a clean finish.
                  is it clean enough to apply wax?

anyone, it has been a day?

Yes, you can just wipe it down with the UQD, then apply your 2nd coat of wax. Just make sure it isn't too dirty. Don't be afraid to wash it if it needs it.

Nick
                  2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                  2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                  2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                  2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

so i can actually wait 24hours and use UQD to clean,
                    if it is too dirty, i can just wash and do second wax?
                    thanks

Comment

Yes.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');