• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a new '08 MX-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up a new '08 MX-5

My baby is one week old. Highland green mica with saddle brown cloth top. The colour is stunning. I used to detail my last Miata but I burned out a few years ago. I am planning to look after this car and showcase the deep green metallic paint (apparently quite rare - only one was available in Canada when I purchased it and I have not seen another one on the road). Anyways, I plan on keep things simple this time. I am hoping to wash and move right to NXT 2. How important is claying on a brand new car and, realistically, will I notice much difference if I skip this step? Thanks,
    '08 MX-5 Miata GT - Highland Green Mica with Saddle Brown Ragtop and Leather Interior

Re: Just picked up a new '08 MX-5

Personally, I would clay first. Although this is a new car you are speaking of, it was still delivered to the dealership by truck, open car carrier to be exact. Have you ever seen the stuff a tractor trailer can kick up? Plus, you don't know how long it may have been sitting outside whether at the factory or at the dealership. Claying doesn't take that long and is really worth the time invested.

Just my two cents though.

Andy
    101impala
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

For my two loonies, I'd do this:

1. Wash - Good quality wash, 2 buckets, Grit Guards if possible.
      2. Clay
      3. ColorX
      4. Wax - Nxt 2.0
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolf View Post
        How important is claying on a brand new car and, realistically, will I notice much difference if I skip this step? Thanks,
        Meguiar's teaches people to evaluate the condition of the paint and let your evaluation help you determine what products you need to use on your car's paint to get the results you're hoping for.

To determine if you need to clay your car's paint, all you have to do is feel the paint after washing the car.

Does is feel smooth and glassy? Skip claying.
        Do you feel little bumps on the surface?? Might want to clay.

This is on the first page of threads in Hot Topics
        Read this, note the third bullet point under Evaluation

1. Claying restores smoothness to the paint and gloss comes from smoothness
        2. Claying enables your choice of car wax to stick or adhere to the paint better so they’ll last longer.

This is a sticky in Hot Topics

How often do I need to clay my car's finish?

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Good advice. Thank you. I will assess the finish after I wash the car, and go from there.
          '08 MX-5 Miata GT - Highland Green Mica with Saddle Brown Ragtop and Leather Interior

Comment

my favorite basic detail,colorx is some does some wonders
            Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            For my two loonies, I'd do this:

1. Wash - Good quality wash, 2 buckets, Grit Guards if possible.
            2. Clay
            3. ColorX
            4. Wax - Nxt 2.0

Comment

colorx does some wonders,i need to pay attention to what i type.

Comment

I can understand the wash and wax (sealer). Maybe claying, if the finish has already picked up some debris. But how is ColorX going to bring out the color on a brand new car. There is not likely any oxidation or discoloration of the finish at this early stage. Maybe I don't understand how it works.

Comment

Yes, you would not be using it to "restore" the finish.

It is just a cleaner/wax, and a bit stronger of a cleaner than the red bottled Cleaner/Wax. Between already being transported around and picking up dirt, a daily or often driver will pick a lot of dirt/pollution as well. So just to keep things simple, we recommended a stronger cleaner/wax to remove that buildup, and give you some polish and the first coat of wax. Then your coat of NXT will give you the recommended two coats, and you will be applying it to a properly prepared surface.

Also, bringing out the color only means having a clean, imperfection free surface. That is what cleaners and polishes help with.

Comment

Here is a so-so pic of my car from back in the fall with clay, ColorX and #21 (similar to Nxt). Though I like how the back end kind of blends in.

Comment

Congrats on the new car! Any pics?

Comment

So, with one coat of ColorX I would only need to apply one coat of NXT 2 for a total of 2 coats?

Comment

I will post some pics after my first detailing.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolf View Post
                            So, with one coat of ColorX I would only need to apply one coat of NXT 2 for a total of 2 coats?
                            Yes, makes it a nice quick detail.

Comment

Great I will look forward to seeing the detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');