• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid-Season Boat Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Season Boat Detailing

Here's a sample checklist of what's involved in a mid-season boat detailing.

1- Canvas and vinyl upholstery cleaned and washed.
    2- Teak wood cleaned and protected.
    3- Stainless steel, aluminum and chrome cleaned, polished and waxed.
    4- Fiberglass floors and skid-pad walk areas cleaned. Do not wax walking surfaces.
    5- Interior and exterior fiberglass surfaces above the rub rail, cleaned polished and waxed.
    6- Outboard motors cleaned, polished and waxed.
    7- Cloth and vinyl upholstery cleaned and protected.
    8- Carpets cleaned and vacuumed.
    9- Dash, gages and accessories cleaned and protected.
    10- Windows thoroughly cleaned.

Here's a photo of a 30 ft Pro-Line that gets cleaned, polished and waxed in the spring before it goes in the water and again during the mid-season.

FRANK CANNA
    Mirror Finish Detailing
    23rd Year 1986-2009

Looks great! Sounds like you take proper care of your boat.

I will have to show this to my Dad (Big Tuna) for a guideline.

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews

Comment

Thanks Lynn,

Actually, that 30 ft Pro-Line is owned by one of my good customers. It's relatively new, however I detailed this Pro-Line before it went into the water this past spring and again during the mid-season. Most of my boat detailing customers who get their boat completely, cleaned, polished and waxed in the spring, also have their boat detailed again in the summer too.

Here's a photo of a 23 ft Pro-Line that this same customer owned and which I also detailed twice a year from when it was brand new in 1989. Of course, this boat also got the full treatment of Meguiar's boat detailing products, including a top coat of #55 Polymer Sealant.
      FRANK CANNA
      Mirror Finish Detailing
      23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Both boats look great! Do you also do end of season detail, seems a good run down before being put away for the winter would make it a little easier come spring. What about inbetween are you providing a maintenence, quick wash and wax combo once amonth or more? What are you charging your cust., could use an idea on where to start with my business!
        River's End Marine Mobile Detailing

A Bad Day on the Water is Better Than a Good Day at work! and Even Better When You Combine the Two!

Comment

how to wax an old boat

i washed a customers boat this pass weekend, and i couldnt put a wax on it cause it was so dry, as soon as i put wax on it , it soaked it up so fast, i couldnt get it out. it the place i put wax i had to put more on and immediatly take it off and it still toke about 3 applications just to get it off. what could i do? the boat is from 1985 and the owner has had it for 4 years, it has never been waxed since he had it.

Comment

Sounds to me as if the boat has oxidation, in which case no amount of wax alone will help. Meg's has a fiberglass restoration kit which includes #49 oxidation remover, #45 polish, and #56 pure wax. I would try this on a 20 year old boat that had never been waxed. Shame on your customer for not caring for his investment!

A Bad Day on the Water is Better Than a Good Day at work! and Even Better When You Combine the Two!

Comment

THANKS!
              i will give that a shot...now are these products( #49, #45, #56) sold on here?

Comment

YES! Its the fiberglass restoration kit.

Comment

Originally posted by boatsiscool
                  Both boats look great! Do you also do end of season detail, seems a good run down before being put away for the winter would make it a little easier come spring. What about inbetween are you providing a maintenence, quick wash and wax combo once amonth or more? What are you charging your cust., could use an idea on where to start with my business!
                  Yes, I have a select number of clients who want their boats cleaned up before the winter. And yes, it does make it a lot easier in the spring.

Usually, I will go over all of the fiberglass with a coat of Meguiar's #50 Cleaner Wax before the boat is put away for the winter. Then, in the spring I will apply a coat of Meguiar's Flagship Polymer.

As far as inbetween maintenance during the season, I usually do a dock-side detailing, which is everything above the rub rail at least once during the summer. However some clients like to have my services about every 6 weeks or so.

Here is a link to an interesting article from Professional Carwashing & Detailing Magazine about boat detailing which includes some information about how much to charge.
                  FRANK CANNA
                  Mirror Finish Detailing
                  23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Frank, Great Article!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');