• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY Speed Level 6 on the G110?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WHY Speed Level 6 on the G110?

Mike, I'll just say this one more time to make it clear... I asked out of pure curiosity as I don't remember seeing a clear explanation for it before... I didn't ask because I think Meg's shouldn't recommend staying away from speed 6... I've seen the 'recommended speed, etc." thread before and started off with speed 5 years ago... speed 6 worked better so hey, why not...

As for your other links, it doesn't give a 'why' as far as speed 6 goes, and on top of that it actually gives help to people who won't follow instructions... W7207 cutting pad isn't meant for a DA, yet you state that it can in fact be an effective cutting pad if used at speed 5 or less... so why not give me some advice on how to effectively use speed 6 on a machine that's not intended for it instead of crucifying me for recommending an available speed on the machine?
    Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Originally posted by ivopivo View Post

I asked a question out of curiosity and got an answer as if I was saying Meg's is wrong for recommending it... I'll make sure I make no recommendations that differ from what's on the instructions from now on if those are the rules...
      You have to remember, this isn't "Mike's Forum", it's Meguiar's forum and I'm held accountable for ALL the content on this forum including forum members recommending speed settings outside what Meguiar's recommends.

Sometime when I type up an answer I'm not just typing for the member in the discussion but for all the people that will read this thread into the future. We've had threads like this in the past where members have made their own recommendations against what the Meguiar's recommendations are and what they need to do is start their own forum where they can recommend anything they want and when their customers/members have problems they can then use their time and resources to solve their customer/member's problems.

however, don't better tools and products stem from forums, discussions, different uses,etc.? I thought that was the purpose of the forum so forgive me for assuming that...
      You're talking to a guy that's been on forums since before vBulletin forums was released, I go back to documented 1994 on rec.autos. which then morphed into rec.autos.tech and rec.autos.misc These were text based bulletin boards.

So yes I completely understand how the interaction on a discussion forum can lead to improvements in all areas of life, but at this time the official recommendation from Meguiar's is to stay at or below the 5.0 Speed Setting for our tools, our backing plates and our pads.

In any case, I've actually experienced the heat transfer you mentioned on the old PC I got from ads.net and only the backing plate Velcro started failing/melting lightly... this was from heavy use in one day though on a hot day so it was somewhat expected...
      I've melted a few things in my detailing life...

As for all the paint you buffed, I do agree.. speed 5 will work on practically any paint, hard or soft... I was stating that speed 6 might be a bit too aggressive for some very soft paints.
      My mistake then, all this time I thought you've been promoting the use of the 6.0 speed setting and questioning why we don't recommend it.

My apologies. When I get caught up I'll read through this entire post to make sure of what's really being discussed and recommended. At this time however there are more pressing priorities.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, being who you are, I can understand you not wanting to discuss anything like this and taking a more defensive approach, so let's just leave it at that. You have to deal with those who complain to you even if you clearly state to try stuff at their own risk... which is what I did, thinking whoever tried would have enough sense never to complain to Meg's about it as that's not their recommendation... many people don't have that sense so I shouldn't even mention it...

I would still like to know, out of complete curiosity, why there is a speed 6? Is it in case people decided to use a sanding disc? Again, I just want to know, I don't want Meg's to tear it out or anything haha
        Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

I would still like to know, out of complete curiosity, why there is a speed 6?

Is it in case people decided to use a sanding disc? Again, I just want to know, I don't want Meg's to tear it out or anything haha
          You know how we introduced M105 and M205? Also products like the new washable foam pads? Behind the scenes we're working on a lot of new products, (we're always working on new and better products), so who's to say that in the future there might be a product and or system introduced that will be recommended to be used on the 6.0 setting.

If you're ever reading one of my posts and you see the words,

at this time

For example,

At this time, Meguiar's recommends using the 5.0 Speed Setting when using our W-8006 with Ultimate Compound.

Those hose words are purposefully selected and used as a way of leaving an opening for changes in the future. Words are important... just ask any lawyer. Learned a long time ago via the forums to choose your words very carefully because there's a small segment of online enthusiasts that will dissect every sentence you write and try to find fault. Seems weird to the rest of us but that's the nature of some people. It's a style of defensive writing, as in only writing or posting things to the forums that I already know I can defect if it's ever challenged. Takes a little longer to think issues through and then form words to create replies that will endure over long periods of time but so far it's proven to be very successful.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            You know how we introduced M105 and M205? Also products like the new washable foam pads? Behind the scenes we're working on a lot of new products, (we're always working on new and better products), so who's to say that in the future there might be a product and or system introduced that will be recommended to be used on the 6.0 setting.

If you're ever reading one of my posts and you see the words,

at this time

For example,

At this time, Meguiar's recommends using the 5.0 Speed Setting when using our W-8006 with Ultimate Compound.

Those hose words are purposefully selected and used as a way of leaving an opening for changes in the future. Words are important... just ask any lawyer. Learned a long time ago via the forums to choose your words very carefully because there's a small segment of online enthusiasts that will dissect every sentence you write and try to find fault. Seems weird to the rest of us but that's the nature of some people. It's a style of defensive writing, as in only writing or posting things to the forums that I already know I can defect if it's ever challenged. Takes a little longer to think issues through and then form words to create replies that will endure over long periods of time but so far it's proven to be very successful.

Makes sense
            Chicago, Illinois

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');