• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing wet-sanding marks by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing wet-sanding marks by hand

Hey all,

I plan on painting something shortly and I have a question about how to go about it. I plan on getting color-matched paint in a spray can. I'll spray on 2-3 coats, lightly wet-sand to remove any orangepeel, apply another 2 or so coats and lightly wet-sand again. After that, I plan on applying a few coats of clear and wet-sanding that with a very high grit paper.

My question is about what kind of polish I should follow-up with. I realize the finish will look dull and hazy due to the wet-sanding marks. I don't have a polisher, so I need something that can be worked in by hand and remove the scratches. I was recommended #105, work it in by hand and it'll make the finish shine.

I was also wondering if anyone could recommend a good spray-on clear coat and wet-sanding paper that they've used? I can't remember which product I used last time, but it (the clear coat) went on very badly so I'd like to try something else. I've used 3m's wet-sanding automotive paper, but every time it leaves black smudges in the paint, no matter how lightly I sand. Drives me nuts.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Re: Removing wet-sanding marks by hand

[quote=elohel;214959]

I was also wondering if anyone could recommend a good spray-on clear coat and wet-sanding paper that they've used? /quote]

Do you have a PBE store you purchase products through?

If so, stop in and talk to the paint mixer i the paint department, he can mix you some clear and put it into an aerosol can, let him know what you're doing and he can either help you or steer you to a product that's ready to use.

As for sanding papers, look to see if the PBE store carries our Nikken brand finishing papers and get some #2000 grit and this should sand fast enough to get the job done and finish out nice enough you can still remove the sanding marks by hand.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If i am doing something like that i like to use 1500 or 2000 grit as Mike suggested and then finish it off with 3000 grit which will make the polishing out alot easier and i love the sanding paper offered by Meguiar's, it always does a good job for me. I have not had the pleasure in using #105 by hand yet but im sure it would work out pretty good for you from what i hear about it. I still cant wait to try it out for myself
      ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
      Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
      210-281-8151

Comment

Just to note, you're method is a great method and one we use also but we were trying to keep his investment into sleeves of sanding paper to minimum, thus a compromise with the #2000 grit paper.

Nikken finishing papers are usually quite a bit more than the standard wet/dry papers and often times you can't buy it by the piece, you have to buy the entire sleeve.

Kind of up to the OP as to how much he wants to invest...

Unigrit® Finishing Papers

Unitgrit® Finishing Papers have uniform grit particles to leave a smooth, even sanding pattern that buffs out in seconds. Eliminates the risk of deep sanding scratches that require compounds to remove. Economical to use – works faster and lasts longer. Won’t load up as quickly as conventional sanding products. Safe for use on all paint finishes and clear coats. Waterproof.

S1025 ..........1000 Grit (25 sheets ) $19.69
        S1225 ..........1200 Grit (25 sheets ) $19.69
        S1525 ..........1500 Grit (25 sheets ) $22.01
        S2025 ..........2000 Grit (25 sheets ) $24.34
        S2525 ..........2500 Grit (25 sheets ) $25.46
        S3025 ..........3000 Grit (25 sheets ) $28.95
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ok, thanks for letting me know guys. #105 along with some 2000 grit sanding paper is on its way Hopefully this comes out as well as I'm imagining it will.

Comment

Originally posted by elohel View Post
            Ok, thanks for letting me know guys. #105 along with some 2000 grit sanding paper is on its way Hopefully this comes out as well as I'm imagining it will.
            How were your results on the #105?

Comment

I haven't done any of the painting/sanding yet, but I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');