• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is VW clearcoat/paint extremely hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is VW clearcoat/paint extremely hard?

I agree with soccer, last week I detailed with 2 friends a similar red GTI, and the paint was very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindflux View Post
      On my specific car, I have no bearing. On other cars of that generation such as my buddies 06 Jetta lend to my idea that the clear is soft(er). Others seem to think the same.(with the exception of the two posters above)

I can't imagine how much clear can change from one model to the next in the same company. It's not like comparing a Ford paint job to a Chevy.
      And the one below you.

Seriously though, from personal experience and what I have gathered from VWVortex members is that the MKV VW paint is hard.

This Saturday, I will attend Meguiar's advanced class. If Mike Phillips agrees, he can test my car's clear and let us know what he, a master in polishing paint, thinks about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Piku View Post
        And the one below you.

Seriously though, from personal experience and what I have gathered from VWVortex members is that the MKV VW paint is hard.

This Saturday, I will attend Meguiar's advanced class. If Mike Phillips agrees, he can test my car's clear and let us know what he, a master in polishing paint, thinks about it.

Yes. Report back.

This is my 5th VW (I'm on Vortex too).

Comment

Just to note, we're not challenging you, just taking the opportunity to discuss the conceptions people have about paint hardness and/or softness.

Originally posted by Mindflux View Post

I can't imagine how much clear can change from one model to the next in the same company.

We thought that too at one time, then we worked on two identical models both with factory clear coat finishes, the 2005 buffed like butter, that is to say it was easy to remove sanding marks out of and restore a show car finish, the 2006 wasn't nearly easy to remove sanding marks out of, it was a eye opener for sure and it helps us to remember to wait until we actually work on the actual paint of a car before making a judgment over how hard or soft the paint is.

Paint Workability - The Hardness or Softness of your car's paint

"You don't how hard or soft your paint is until you go out into your garage and work on your car"

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Piku View Post

Would be happy to test out the paint and give you an opinion based upon first hand experience... no pun intended...

(that was bad)
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks everybody! Piku, please definitely report back on what happens at the class with your Jetta. I'm looking forward to hearing what Mike says about our VW paint and what we can do with it. (And yes, I LOVE my car! I'm just thinking I was crazy to get it in black....but, I was ready for something different.)

I'm definitely getting the DAP ASAP....I'm sure I'll be back with questions. One quick one though....I've been using #20 for the last 11 years on my cars. Is this good to use with the DAP and is it a nice choice for a black car? I've already put a coat of it on my Jetta. It looks great right now but if there is a better recommendation from the experts, I'm all for it.

As far as hard vs. soft, just curious, what is considered to be the best kind of paint by the professionals? After what I've learned today, I'm thinking (and guessing) my previous car, an Acura RSX, was very soft because I was able to polish out some minor scratches just using #20. I thought soft paint was a bad thing but what do I know!!!!

Mike...please do a class in Louisville, KY some day soon! Thanks again for the advice! You guys are awesome!

Jenny

Comment

I have not used #20 but I have heard nothing but good things about it. As Mike often writes in this forum, if you like the way it goes on and off and if the results look good to you then that's all that matters.

I don't know if hard paint is better than soft or vise-versa. The hard paint has one advantage that it won't swirl or scratch as easy as soft paint, but if you want to correct it (polish) it will be hard to do so. While correcting soft paint is much easier.

The best thing to do is properly maintain your paint by being careful at how you wash and dry your car since these are the steps when most of the swirls will come from. This way you prolong the time when you will need to correct/polish the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  Would be happy to test out the paint and give you an opinion based upon first hand experience... no pun intended...

(that was bad)
                  Hi Mike, If Piku shows for your "advanced" class take him/her up on their offer because inquiring minds need to know the answer.
                  ---
                  Ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever !

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');