• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about "New Posts" link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about "New Posts" link

This isn't a suggestion, just a question about the forum. I've noticed a lot lately that if I select the New Posts link, as I typically do, sometimes there isn't anything new at all. Such as just now I went to http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...t=20015&page=4 and the last post is from April 26, yet it is listed under New Posts.

This isn't a complaint either, I'm just curious what is going on. Are moderators bumping some threads up to keep things lively? Is there a software issue doing this? Again just curious. There have been some threads that have appeared this way that I'm really glad to have had a chance to have seen even though there were no actual new posts in it.

Again, no complaint or suggestion, just wondering. Love the forum and appreciate all the great info and work of the mods and admins.
    Michael
    Thanks for all the help!

Re: Question about "New Posts" link

I don't know what you are seeing but i have not noticed anything like that. The only thing i can think of would be that you have not been logged on since April so they would technically be new post to you. Could this be the problem?
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Comment

>>"Could this be the problem?"

Hmmmmm. No I'm logging in about every day and looking at most posts in the New Posts section. And I'm not deleting cookies or anything that should cause a misread. There are just theses threads with old posts showing up as new. Curious, no big deal though. Thanks for responding.
      Michael
      Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Well the only other thing i can think of would be you are looking at the date the thread was started rather than the date of the last post. Other than that no ideas, hopefully one of the forum experts can help out
        ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
        210-281-8151

Comment

Thought that was worth checking, maybe I'm reading wrong, but no Post#1 in the thread was April 10 and Post #32, the last one, is April 26, and the tread was in the New Post list this morning. OK, getting too out of hand -- doesn't really matter to me but I've seen several like this in New Posts and just curious why that would happen.

Thanks Derrick again for responding Derrick. Maybe someone on th other side of the board has an answer, but I'm not needing for anyone to spend a lot of time on this for my curiosity's sake.
          Michael
          Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I'm pretty sure if someone votes on the poll list in the thread it will register as a new unread post. That's why you're seeing the update post with nothing new other than the poll result updates.
            The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
            Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Originally posted by professorsabre View Post
              I'm pretty sure if someone votes on the poll list in the thread it will register as a new unread post. That's why you're seeing the update post with nothing new other than the poll result updates.
              This is also true, i cant believe i dint even think about that one did you happen to notice if the post you were looking at was a poll?
              210-281-8151

Comment

Professorsabre, you may have nailed it. Yes that post deinitely was a poll--not sure if others I noticed were or not, but it could be. Good call from "up over"! Thanks ...
                Michael
                Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I also have an idea for the new posts button. When I was a supermod on a rather large forum a while ago, I had an issue that if I did not read all the posts in a certain amount of time, I got the message "no new posts" when selecting the next page. There is a timeout somewhere(forget exactly where) for how long the new posts last. Any chance the system admin could bump up the timeout on it?
                  If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                    There is a timeout somewhere(forget exactly where) for how long the new posts last. Any chance the system admin could bump up the timeout on it?
                    Will look into this.

As for the Polls, it's true that if someone votes in a pull it does bump the poll back to the top of the "Recent Threads" list as it treats it like a reply.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      Will look into this.

As for the Polls, it's true that if someone votes in a pull it does bump the poll back to the top of the "Recent Threads" list as it treats it like a reply.

I'll have to check to see if I still have a vBul setup on a box at home. If I do I will try to find the setting again.
                      If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');