• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

break down m83 for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break down m83 for me

Cleaner/polish right? so if i clay than it would mainly be a polish im using right? so a polish in so many words breaks down clear coat to "flush" out scratches and make smooth, then a sealant protects it. is there something i might want to consider in between m83 and NXT 2.0, to get better results, im dealing with moderate scratches/imperfections on a black car/SUV.

Re: break down m83 for me

1. Wash - Removes big loose dirt.

2. Clay - Removes bonded on surface dirt/contaminants.

3. Cleaner/Polish - Will clean dirt fro mthe surface imperfections, as well as use the diminishing abrasives to level the paint and remove swirls. Some polishing oils will be left behind as well.

4. Wax - Protection, and sealing in results.

As far as products, #80 is the next milder product. You would likely want to try a test spot with #80 first, then #83 if you have to, followed up with #80.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Your Process will look something like this
      1. Wash - Make sure to use a good quality soap like megs Gold Class car wash as it offers a perfect mixture of lubricity and cleaning ability and leaves behind a great shine.
      2. Clay - Claying removes above surface bonded contaminents. You can use a Product like the Smooth Surface Clay Kit that comes with everything needed to clay the vehicle including the Quick Detailer for the clay lubricant and a Supreme micro fiber.
      3. Clean - Cleaning removes below surface defects ( oxidation, stains, swirls, scratches ) Depending on the condition of the paint this may or may not be necessary like the claying process but if you do find light oxidation, swirls, scratches or any other below surface defects then this is a necessary step. Depending on the severity of the defect you will need something like DC1 Paint Cleaner which is good for a very light cleaning but it is a chemical cleaner so its only able to remove very light swirls and other defects. If the defects are more severe then you will need to look into ScratchX or maybe even machine polishing with a DA and something like #80 or #83 or compounding with a Rotary. Remember to remove a scratch means to remove the paint ( clear coat ) around the scratch leveling the paint to the bottom of the scratch.
      4. Polishing - This is also a optional step but i highly recommend using a good pure polish only because it does replenish lost oils and help bring out that deep wet look. I would recommend either DC 2 polish, #7 Show Car Glaze or #81 Hand Polish. Cleaner polishes like #80 do have polishing oils in it but its up to you if you want to stick with that or move up and still add a pure polish which will technically be better when we are talking about polishing oils but to be honest just using a product like #80 will be good enough, most of the time you cannot even see a difference if you add the pure polish step after #80
      5. Waxing - This will be an important and needed step to protect the paint from the harsh environment we drive in today. You will want to invest in a good quality wax like Megs NXT Gen 2.0 and to insure good even coverage apply 2 coats waiting about 6 to 12 hours between applications to give the polymers apropriate time to cure, the 6 to 12 hours period is a recommendation but not a must. I hope this helps and Welcome to
      ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
      Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
      210-281-8151

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        3. Cleaner/Polish - Will clean dirt fro mthe surface imperfections, as well as use the diminishing abrasives to level the paint and remove swirls. Some polishing oils will be left behind as well.
        Just to add to what Murr said, Meguiar's cleaner/polish use what it is called diminishing abrasives and when you work products like this against the finish the abrasives will break down until they are completely gone, when the are gone the product itself would act like a polish. (hm guess it sounds right, thinking is Spanish typing in English)

Some cleaner/polishes will have more enriching polishing oils than others. For example M09 has many of the polishing oils found in M07.
        Last edited by yalerd; May 19, 2008, 06:32 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');