• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas stains..help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas stains..help please!

Hi,
    Anyone have any ideas on removing a yellow fuel stain on white paint? I really have not tried anything other than a good wash so far. I'm guessing it was on there way too long and it's stained pretty bad.
    I'm going to get a clay bar ASAP and give that a shot.

I'm just wondering if the paint is ruined or do I have a chance to remove it? I could not find much using the search feature.

Great forum people... newb needs help if possible.
    Thanks and good day.

The clay would be a good start. Unless it's been sitting there for a really long time, I think the clay or a simple cleaner/wax should take care of your problem.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

The stain is probably penetrated into the paint, I would recommend ScratchX with a foam applicator pad by hand.

Clay bars are for removing above surface bonded contaminants.

Give ScratchX or any quality paint cleaner formulated for use by hand. You could also try a cleaner/wax or even a cleaner/polish. What you need is a product that will do to things, go after the stain chemically, and also gently clean/abrade the surface to remove the stained paint.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Always start with the least aggressive method, of course...

But, a fuel stain may require a solvent to remove/neutralize it.

Jim
        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Gasoline is pretty nasty. I always keep some towels and a small bottle of a quick detailer type product in my car (never know when you'll need it). If in the event you drip any gas on the paint after filling up always immediately spray it and wipe it off.

To help prevent this in the future this has worked pretty well. When done fueling pull the nozzel most of the way out and give it a good jiggle. Now pull it out so that it's still over the filler opening, turn the handle sideways and angle towards the filler neck when possible and shake again, you'll probably get another few dribbles out of it. Now it should be mostly dry and the worst you can do is two or three drops. When finally pulling the pump handle away angle it upwards so anything remaining will be kept in the nozzel also.

Hope this helps.
          Later,
          Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
          Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');